Options

Any good?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 12, 2012 in People
I took this shot quite some time ago. Looked like something worth while during the shoot but once I uploaded it, it lost appeal. Now I see it again and I think there is something interesting about it.

What y'all think?

00063-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I love it! I wonder what it would be like b & w. Hey I have seriously been considering getting a D700. What is your impression of them? Sorry for off topic if you want you can just pm me.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I like it because it forces you to look at it for a moment before the brain registers what exactly it is. As an abstract type image it is quite pleasing. Tones, colors and texture all work for me too.

I would get rid of that stray strand of hair though. After examining the image, figuring it out and then enjoying it, my eye kept coming back to that strand of hair.
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I like it because it forces you to look at it for a moment before the brain registers what exactly it is. As an abstract type image it is quite pleasing. Tones, colors and texture all work for me too.

I would get rid of that stray strand of hair though. After examining the image, figuring it out and then enjoying it, my eye kept coming back to that strand of hair.

Agree with Bryce here, the stray hair rattles me back to reality after being absorbed by what I would consider, as he said, an abstract image.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    I definitely like how it draws me in for a closer look. I'd like to see this in B&W as well
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Beautiful image. Another vote for trying it in BW.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Thanks guys. Here is the B&W. I converted it before but I kind of like the skin tones of the color version. BTW, what stray hair are you guys referring to?

7176687838_0e3a784e26_b.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Nice work Alex!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    Thank you Nik.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Nice work. I like it better in B&W.
  • Options
    underthesurfaceunderthesurface Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    I definitely like the b&w better as well. The curves of her shoulder lines in relation to the frame is in nice proportion.

The strand of hairs are just off her neck on her right shoulder.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Alex,

Simply wonderful. Soft, quiet, shadows, shapes..................what's not to like.

This is fine art photography.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Alex,

Simply wonderful. Soft, quiet, shadows, shapes..................what's not to like.

This is fine art photography.

Sam

Thanks Sam.

BTW, are you feeling OK? Not a jab thrown in that comment.

If you're turning over a new leaf, I don't like it. I like the smart ass Sam better.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Thanks Sam.

BTW, are you feeling OK? Not a jab thrown in that comment.

If you're turning over a new leaf, I don't like it. I like the smart ass Sam better.

I have seen your abbs and muscle's along with your over protective stance with regard to the little misses.

This is simply self protection. :D

Sam
  • Options
    Pono PhotoPono Photo Registered Users Posts: 68 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2012
    Fantastic shot! Love the deep shadowing . Just gorgeous!

I think the stray hairs are the ones on the right of her neck. there are a few hairs sticking out over there. It's a dark area so they are not totally obvious or anything. Just there when you are looking for a minute. There is also just a little separation in the hair on the left of her neck. Also a really dark area.

Sure, if those were gone it would be nice. But I don't think it detracts from the image enough to worry about it. It's just a great shot. Love it!
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Yeah, that conversion is awesome...well done.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Really nice. Love the light. Not sure if it's just my monitor but I'm seeing lots of noise on both images. Looking at it on my laptop so that could have an impact on it.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    dlscott56 wrote: »
    Really nice. Love the light. Not sure if it's just my monitor but I'm seeing lots of noise on both images. Looking at it on my laptop so that could have an impact on it.

Anyone else? I see no smudgies on my end.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    I love it! I wonder what it would be like b & w. Hey I have seriously been considering getting a D700. What is your impression of them? Sorry for off topic if you want you can just pm me.

Doog. I shot with the D300 before I got my D700. At the time, I never thought moving to the D700 would be a big deal. Sure, I anticipated some improvements but not that much. Man was I surprised. The low light performance is simply amazing. Also, the FF sensor really makes a huge difference in clarity and also bokeh. You really get the most out of pro lenses moving to FF.

I highly recommend the D700.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Very nice conversion
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Really love this one and I don't usually go for abstracts. Even though this has dramatic lighting it is softened by the gentle curves of the human form. Narry a straight line shown, and the composition is great Big time congrats and print this one BIG.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Again, thanks everyone. I guess I should learn to trust my gut. I almost scrapped this shot while purging stuff off my drive. This one is getting printed!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    This one is getting printed!

I would hope so!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops