Options

Collecting photos from multiple shooters

geralds34geralds34 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited December 4, 2013 in SmugMug Support
We are trying to get organized for the summer music festival, that runs two weeks, and has many stages spread through out the city. All the photographers are volunteers, and funding for services etc is pretty limited.

How can we make it easy for the shooters to upload their images to a central location? We don't have an FTP site. Could a photo sharing site like smugmug work, by giving all the shooters the username/password? Does smugmug allow this, and what would happen if there were multiple users logged in concurrently. Could cloud storage also work - would dropbox be an option.

We really a trying to keep everyone's travel to a minimum, and run as efficiently as possible.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,253 moderator
    edited May 11, 2012
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2012
    Have you seen the new guest uploading feature?

http://news.smugmug.com/2012/05/07/new-guest-uploading-lets-your-fans-join-the-fun/

--- Denise

Excellent suggestion - thanks
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    I can see some photogs not wanting to upload to my smugmug.

Could the festival just get a smugmug account for couple months while we are active with the Festival. That would be sufficient time to upload/download and transfer to the master repository at the office.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Forgive me for what might be a stupid question, but why go through the bother of uploading/downloading all this data? Why not just have them make CDs and mail them to you. headscratch.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    SamirD wrote: »
    Forgive me for what might be a stupid question, but why go through the bother of uploading/downloading all this data? Why not just have them make CDs and mail them to you. headscratch.gif

Trying to get the photos ASAP, and reduce the work etc. I think it would be easier/quicker to upload and download, than to mail out DVDs.

All the shooters are volunteers, so need to keep them happy.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    geralds34 wrote: »
    I can see some photogs not wanting to upload to my smugmug.

Could the festival just get a smugmug account for couple months while we are active with the Festival. That would be sufficient time to upload/download and transfer to the master repository at the office.

Sure - sign up for a monthly account thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Trying to get the photos ASAP, and reduce the work etc. I think it would be easier/quicker to upload and download, than to mail out DVDs.

All the shooters are volunteers, so need to keep them happy.
    I can definitely understand that. But depending on their upload bandwidth and the amount of data they need to send, it may just be easier for them to make a CD and you go pick it up. A 2mb upload bandwidth is 1GB/hr. If they've shot even just half a DVD, it's two hours for them to upload. ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2013
    Have you seen the new guest uploading feature?

http://news.smugmug.com/2012/05/07/new-guest-uploading-lets-your-fans-join-the-fun/

--- Denise

The guest upload feature work perfectly for the music festival the last few years.

We would like to use a similar feature for our photo friends, to have a group 52 week challenge. Is there a way to use the guest upload feature, but also allow our friends to caption/tag their submitted photo. If there is a 'story' behind the photo, add that to the photo? I assume that the gallery owner will have to reorgize the photos to keep the weeks in sync manually(for late submissions).
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2013
    We would like to use a similar feature for our photo friends, to have a group 52 week challenge. Is there a way to use the guest upload feature, but also allow our friends to caption/tag their submitted photo. If there is a 'story' behind the photo, add that to the photo? I assume that the gallery owner will have to reorgize the photos to keep the weeks in sync manually(for late submissions).
    There's not a way for visitors to caption or keyword photos. Sorry. Perhaps you could instruct people to enter their desired caption and keywords as part of the photo's IPTC metadata? Many photo editing / managing tools offer such a feature nowadays. On upload, we'll automatically import the IPTC caption as the SmugMug caption and the IPTC keywords as SmugMug keywords.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero