DS24453-XL.jpg

3)
DSC01206-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    #2 clap.gif!!

#3 is a good environmental portrait - the contextual background is great.

#1 doesn't work for me at all as a portrait as such - the only thing which is really sharp is that one bit of hair, and with no eyes to draw me in I find myself "leaving" the photo rather than looking into it, if that makes sense. Knowing your street shooting I think I understand why you like it, but it doesn't work for me outside the context of a street shot (ie it might work as one of a series or something like that).

Nice to see you posting here, Jen!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Love #3. Comp, lighting, setting, everything clicks. #2 is OK. #1 just make me want to give her as wet-willy or hand her a brush.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2012
    Ok, I'm being British, and "wet-willie" doesn't sound too good... rolleyes1.gif (what the heck does that mean?!?!)
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Ok, I'm being British, and "wet-willie" doesn't sound too good... rolleyes1.gif (what the heck does that mean?!?!)

Too funny!!

I agree that #1 is out. I like #2 the best.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012

"Wet Willie" or "Wet Willy": a prank in which the prankster licks/spits on his finger, sticks it in the victims ear and then twists the finger around.

Care to explain the British version of the Wet Willy?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2012
    There is no version of that in British that I'm aware of, but all you need to know is that "willie" is common slang for the male member....

(Funny aside: my husband and I were once at the movies in a wonderful old-fashioned, rural-town cinema in the UK - it was like stepping back into a 1940s timewarp. To give you some idea, the wife sold the tickets and the husband ran the projecter, alongside his three dogs who hung out in the booth with him.... Anyway, the trailer was for that dreadful movie about the whale, "Free Willy". The trailer was REALLY badly made and the movie pretty dire, so it was hard not to laugh. After the umpteenth time that the title was intoned - it was a really, REALLY bad trailer - hubby said, slightly too loudly, in an unexpected silence, "Is this a call to action, or a special offer?". EVERYBODY heard it. There was a group of about 10 teenage girls a few rows in front of us who nearly died of the giggles....)
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2012
    There is no version of that in British that I'm aware of, but all you need to know is that "willie" is common slang for the male member....

(Funny aside: my husband and I were once at the movies in a wonderful old-fashioned, rural-town cinema in the UK - it was like stepping back into a 1940s timewarp. To give you some idea, the wife sold the tickets and the husband ran the projecter, alongside his three dogs who hung out in the booth with him.... Anyway, the trailer was for that dreadful movie about the whale, "Free Willy". The trailer was REALLY badly made and the movie pretty dire, so it was hard not to laugh. After the umpteenth time that the title was intoned - it was a really, REALLY bad trailer - hubby said, slightly too loudly, in an unexpected silence, "Is this a call to action, or a special offer?". EVERYBODY heard it. There was a group of about 10 teenage girls a few rows in front of us who nearly died of the giggles....)

Ha. That is a funny story Diva. I could only imagine the laughter, especially in a setting like that. It seems that the giggles strike at their hardest when it's the most inappropriate.

Your post leads me to a question... Do you speak with a British accent? Hopes so because I now read all your posts with as a female with a Britt accent in my head. :D

My Smug Site
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    You do realise that you're making it more and more likely that I'm going to have to try to explain all this to Mimi and Jackie. I'm afraid my Mandarin isn't nearly good enough to put across either the US or UK interpretations!

(In any case, thanks for the feedback)

ETA: Just a quick comment on the first image. I can see why you'd think I liked the first image, being a street-shooter and all. But I included it as Mimi went gaga over this one. I think it's as much to do with her not wearing her hair down very often and she enjoyed the colour and beauty of it.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    I still think that one could work as part of a series, Jen - do you have another couple which could work as a diptych or triptych or something?

Alex, my accent switch-hits - having lived in both US/UK as a child and again as an adult (about half my life in each), I tend to morph into whatever I'm hearing around me. People always know when I've spoken to British friends/family (just as in the UK they always knew when I'd spoken to American friends/ family). So you can read me in whatever accent you like, and you won't be wrong :D

ETA: I went to HS in SoCal, and can do a mean Valley Girl, too. rolleyes1.gif :lol4
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    cast a vote for #3 for me. It works in every way for me!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012

There are a number of things that mean something different across the pond. I spent six months in the UK a number of years ago and found out the hard way that the word "fanny" isn't a nice way to refer to a females bottom over there as it is in the U.S. I had a mom do an impersonation of Linda Blair in the Exorcist over that one.