Home

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited May 16, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I left NYC 8 Years ago. The only time i felt I was home since then was when I went back to NYC for a visit.

DSCF0745-XL.jpg

DSC8588bw-XL.jpg

DSCF0737-XL.jpg

DSCF0551-XL.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Good stuff, Harry. I probably ought to go back to Detroit where I grew up in the suburbs but spent a lot of time downtown. But if I did that I'd probably never make it out alive. Kind of looks as if Superman is deciding whether or not to take exception to what you're doing.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Number 1 is number 1, Harry - far and away. Terrific shot.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    Well as a former New Yorker, I agree with bd.

New Yorker's..... alone within hundred's.....
    Rags
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    I have been to both NYC and Viera (Florida). Both offer almost unlimited
    opportunity for the wildlife shooter.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    That first one is terrific !
    Love the tones, comp and most of all, that I feel like I am their.
    Bravo !
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Good stuff, Harry. I probably ought to go back to Detroit where I grew up in the suburbs but spent a lot of time downtown. But if I did that I'd probably never make it out alive. Kind of looks as if Superman is deciding whether or not to take exception to what you're doing.

Thanks Russ. I think you survive a trip home. I managed to work 30+ years in Harlem and the S. Bronx with no major injuries.

Superman was more agitated over the fact that he had set up his table selling "educational" children books for a half an hour w/o one person stopping and buying a book.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    tonycooper wrote: »
    i have been to both nyc and viera (florida). Both offer almost unlimited
    opportunity for the wildlife shooter.

:):):)
    Rags
    edited May 12, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Number 1 is number 1, Harry - far and away. Terrific shot.

Thanks very much BD. Its my favorite of that batch
    Harry
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    The first captures the nature of the NYC crowd so well -- so close, so crowded, so disconnected.

Second and third appear a little flat/lifeless on the processing. Fourth looks processed completely differently on the tones. I like how her energy/enthusiasm is completely ignored by the patrons.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I think you survive a trip home. I managed to work 30+ years in Harlem and the S. Bronx with no major injuries.

You may be right, Harry, but Detroit's in a lot worse shape than Harlem or the S. Bronx ever has been. Gradually the city's being turned back into farmland. When I see what's been done to the Michigan Central Railroad station it brings tears. When I was in high school I used to take a train out of that station a couple times a year to the west part of the state to visit relatives. The station was stunningly beautiful. Now it's a dangerous ruin. I'm pretty sure you've seen pictures of it. There are a lot of them around. The murder rate went up by 15% last year. Flint, Michigan, is the only city in the country with a higher rate.
    edited May 12, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    The first captures the nature of the NYC crowd so well -- so close, so crowded, so disconnected.

Second and third appear a little flat/lifeless on the processing. Fourth looks processed completely differently on the tones. I like how her energy/enthusiasm is completely ignored by the patrons.

Thanks for the comments Rainbow.

In Sondheim's musical "Company" the character April describes her room mate thusly "He was born in NY so nothing really interests him". These captures brought that line back for me. In the first capture I was surprised by how many of the folks were looking down.
    Harry
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Just wanted to step in and say, Good Choice in Mod Change! ylsuper.gif

However have nothing but praise and respect for our outgoing Mod, Richard,
    Enjoyed our time here and hope to continue.

Oh and Harry you gonna have to do better then those above rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :hide
    edited May 15, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Just wanted to step in and say, Good Choice in Mod Change! ylsuper.gif

However have nothing but praise and respect for our outgoing Mod, Richard,
    Enjoyed our time here and hope to continue.

Oh and Harry you gonna have to do better then those above rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif :hide

Why thanks Ben. I will endeavor to do better. You could be of real help by posting soemthing better yourself and give me some inspiration. :lurk
    Harry
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    #1 takes it in spades.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Why thanks Ben. I will endeavor to do better. You could be of real help by posting soemthing better yourself and give me some inspiration. :lurk

Ohh a Challenge! Cool :D