eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited May 13, 2012 in People
SoCalPhotAssoc-LeeSterling-XL.jpg

Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Love #2, makes a great difference when you have direction of light. Congrats.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Yes, it does. This was a Meetup group shoot and I was one of very few who changed the lighting at all. Also, the second and third photos; Sarah and I were actually planning these two shots days in advance of the event. For the first one, we'd just finished the one that is third, here, and I was checking things while two other photographers were adjusting their cameras to photograph her. Reader's Digest version: I shot it from twice as far away, shooting between them. As soon as I clicked the shutter, they said they were ready and she pulled her feet in. I'm the only one who got her in this pose, which was actually her just waiting for them. :-)
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    I like them all, but #2 is a flawless victory.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 12, 2012
    Amazingly classic shots. Not too sure about shooting the bottoms of the shoes in the first shot, but otherwise all three shots looks great. thumb.gif
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    #1 To me she looks like she feels awkward, and I as a viewer also became very camera-aware. Her face says "OK, I'm looking into a camera and waiting for the photographer to take the shot... any time now..." Maybe its just me being sensitive to it as a photog because I get that look all the time rolleyes1.gif but I think others might see what I'm talking about

#2 is great and is extra great if you want something really artsy. Especially with the pose/expression and lighting quality. Probably the best of the 3 for a portfolio.

#3 But, some reason to me, I think this has the most personality and drew me in for a connection the most. It looks like shes going through something rather than posing looking fancy. It makes me want to connect with why, which makes me stop and think about it all. The technical quality could use a little tweak, but for me, the emotional draw is there much more than the other two.

It all depends on purpose for each shot really.
    edited May 12, 2012
    Thank you, Over. You described them exactly as I'd intended each of them to be seen, except for your assessment of the image quality of number three: that's exactly what I was going for and if you've ever seen Lillian Bassman's photography (originals, not her re-imagined), then you know what I was emulating. This is the photo that Sarah and I were truly trying to get. As I'd stated above, we talked about it for two days. I showed her the 1949 Bassman image that I wanted to do and she was very forthcoming with clothing and ideas, and was willing to bring the dress up to her chin multiple times until I had what I wanted.

As for the other two; #1: That's exactly what happened. We got the shot we wanted, she went to change shoes at another photographer's request and then sat there and waited for them to begin. (So, technically, they were getting the look, but I snapped the picture.) While they fidgeted with their cameras, I saw her in this position and snapped a quick candid. It's intended to be nothing more.

#2: Artsy is what I wanted and I'll say I got it. Quincy T, there really is one huge flaw in it, but only I know where it is. mwink.gif

Very keen observations, indeed, Over. Thank you very much. :-)
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »
    Thank you, Over. You described them exactly as I'd intended each of them to be seen, except for your assessment of the image quality of number three: that's exactly what I was going for and if you've ever seen Lillian Bassman's photography (originals, not her re-imagined), then you know what I was emulating. This is the photo that Sarah and I were truly trying to get. As I'd stated above, we talked about it for two days. I showed her the 1949 Bassman image that I wanted to do and she was very forthcoming with clothing and ideas, and was willing to bring the dress up to her chin multiple times until I had what I wanted.

As for the other two; #1: That's exactly what happened. We got the shot we wanted, she went to change shoes at another photographer's request and then sat there and waited for them to begin. (So, technically, they were getting the look, but I snapped the picture.) While they fidgeted with their cameras, I saw her in this position and snapped a quick candid. It's intended to be nothing more.

#2: Artsy is what I wanted and I'll say I got it. Quincy T, there really is one huge flaw in it, but only I know where it is. mwink.gif

Yeah I thought about that afterward, too, but I wasn't sure. I just stopped cause I already wrote a ton of stuff, lol.

Now you got me wanting to guess what said flaw is... but I don't know if thats possible since anything could purposely be where it is rolleyes1.gif

Missing necklace? Different shoes? The profane graffiti you burned out with that nice vignette? That's as far as I'll go. Laughing.gif
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    eL eSs Vee wrote: »

The tat showing under the hair? That would have to be my guess. Everything else is classic and very well done.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
    edited May 13, 2012
    Yeah I thought about that afterward, too, but I wasn't sure. I just stopped cause I already wrote a ton of stuff, lol.

Now you got me wanting to guess what said flaw is... but I don't know if thats possible since anything could purposely be where it is rolleyes1.gif

Missing necklace? Different shoes? The profane graffiti you burned out with that nice vignette? That's as far as I'll go. Laughing.gif

(evil laugh)
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook