Florida Willdife Shoot

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Harry,
    Are you going to suggest possible lodging facilities that we will all be staying in or will it be up to us to make all arrangements?

I am just concerned about availability to a group in sunny Fla that time of year. Looking forward to putting more faces to screen names also :):
    I'm trying to arrange a group rate at one of the local hotels/motels right now. I hope to have it done by next week. If I can't do it I will get a list of local motels/hotels together and post them within the next two weeks.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    Great info. Thank Harry thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 25, 2005
    Accomodations
    Hi Y’all

I have just spoken to one of our local hotels and I can arrange a group deal with them for Merritt III. The hotel is the Baymont Inn in Melbourne. The location can’t be beat because it is right off of I-95 on Wickham Blvd. It’s a 5 minute drive to the Viera Wetlands and being close to I-95 will make it very easy to get to the other shooting locations. They serve a free continental breakfast (bagels, cereals, muffins, juice, coffee, waffles) in the AM. They have no restaurant in the hotel but there is a Burger King and a Crackerbarrel restaurant in the same area (you can walk there). Also in the immediate area (2-3 minute drive) you have a Pizza Uno, McDonalds, Bob Evans, and a Perkins Restaurant. There are also scads of other local restaurants and our local mall within easy driving distance of the hotel.

The rate is $118-$123/night for two doubles or one king size beds. I can get around 16 rooms. If we double up each participant would be paying around $60/night. I can probably get a cheaper rate if I start canvassing the motels on US-1 but the accommodations won’t be as convenient. When you factor in the additional driving times and gas the savings would be minimal. Before I put a hold on the rooms I would like to know what you all think. If your response is in the affirmative I will put a hold on the rooms on my credit card.

I also need your confirmation that you will attend and to know if you are willing to share a room and what dates you plan to attend.

Right now my count is 23 attendees. I will be making a post on the forum with this same info but I’m sending you this PM to be sure you get the info.

Once we settle the accommodations I will start working on making arrangements at some of the local restaurants for an evening meal where we can meet up and have dinner together at the end of a shooting day.

Here is the list of participants. if oyur name is on the list and you are not coming please let me know. If you want to come and your name isn't on the list please contact me ASAP.
    Nikon Café
    • Harry Behret
    • Gale Bizet
    • Kevin Scott
    • Frank Jackson*
    • David Mutter*
    • Mike McAtee*
    • Gordon Large*
    • Bob Hoge*
    • Nancy Hoge*
    • Dave Watts*
    • Kelly Hanlon*
    • Harris Goldberg*
    • Catz
    • Gary Chappel
    • Doug Barber *
    • Dreuter*

DGRIN
    • Michael Allen*
    • Klfailla
    • Mike McCarthy*
    • Thomas Lott*
    • Pathfinder*
    • Nightingale*
    • Helmet155
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited November 26, 2005
    Hi Y'all,

For those who are arriving at the Orlando airport here are the driving directions to the Baymont INN

Driving Directions from 1 Airport Blvd, Orlando, FL to 7200 George T Edwards Dr, Melbourne, FLAOL

1 Airport Blvd

Orlando, FL 32827-4328, US

7200 George T Edwards Dr

Melbourne, FL 32940-6608, US

Total Est. Time: 42 minutesTotal Est. Distance: 45.76 miles

1:Start out going NORTH on AIRPORT BLVD.0.3 milesMap

2:Take the SR-528-TOLL E exit- EXIT 1A- toward COCOA / KENNEDY
    SPACE CENTER. 0.3 miles

3:Merge onto BEE LINE EXPY / FL-528 E (Portions toll).30.3miles

4:Merge onto I-95 S via EXIT 42A toward MIAMI. 14.1 miles

5:Take the CR-509 / WICKHAM ROAD exit- EXIT 191- toward
    SATELLITE BEACH / PATRICK A.F.B. 0.2 miles

6:Turn RIGHT onto WICKHAM RD N. 0.1 miles

7:Turn RIGHT onto GEORGE T EDWARDS DR. 0.1 miles

8:End at 7200 George T Edwards Dr

Melbourne, FL 32940-6608,

Total Est. Time: 42 minutes Total Est. Distance: 45.76 miles

Harry
    edited November 29, 2005
    Hi Y’all,

I have finalized the arrangements with the Baymont Inn. At this point the follwing folks have communicated that they will need rooms at the Baymont:

Frank Wilson

David Mutter

Gordon Large

Mike McAtee

Harris Goldberg

Bob & Nan Hoge

Steve S.

Gary Chappel

Mike McCarthy

Michael Allen

Thomas Lott

Pathfinder & Nightingale

If you need a room and you name is not on the above list please contact me so I can increase the number of rooms on hold for us.

The rates are $118 for two double beds and $123 for a king size bed.

Reservations must be made by January 29, 2006 or we lose the rooms.

The local phone number of the Baymont is 321-242-9400. The toll free # is 1-877-BAYMONT. The group rate is under the name of HPB Photography. Please PM me when you make your reservation.
    Harry
    edited December 1, 2005
    Hi y'all,

I was driving by the Baymont Inn today and I noticed that they changed its name to La Quinta. I stopped in and I was told that only the name has been changed our group rate is ok and the phone #s are the same.
    Harry
    edited December 10, 2005
    Hi Y'all,

I'm just posting the list of confirmed attendees so you know where we stand with this shoot.

Right now we have 25 folks confirmed. I'm considering capping the number at 30 because if we get too large it will be hard to accomodate a much larger group. As it stands now we will have to break up into 2 or 3 "teams" and shoot at different locations. If we tried to take 25 folks into the wetlands, for example, at one time we would probably scare off every bird in the place.

Anyhow heres the current list of attendees. the * means that they will be staying at the La Quinta

If you are considering coming now would be a good time to make your decision.

Nikon Café
    1. Harry Behret
    2. Gale Bizet
    3. Kevin Scott
    4. Frank Wilson*
    5. David Mutter*
    6. Mike McAtee*
    7. Gordon Large*
    8. Bob Hoge*
    9. Nannette Hoge*
    10. Kelly Hanlon
    11. Harris Goldberg*
    12. Catz
    13. Gary Chappel*
    14. Steve S. *
    15. Dreuter
    16. Thornton
    17. Ched Bradley"
    18. Phil Collyer *
    19. Richard Fleet (Huskey8)

DGRIN
    20. Michael Allen*
    21. Klfailla
    22. Mike McCarthy*
    23. Thomas Lott*
    24. Pathfinder*
    25. Nightingale*
    Harry
  • dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2005
    Harry I would like to attend so please add my name to your list if I'm not to late. My sister lives in Palatka, so I will plan a visit to her around the shooting dates. My wife may come, so I'll need a room for the two of us. Having grown up in South Florida, I'm looking forward for this opportunity to return as a picture taking tourist, as well as meeting new friends with similar interests. If I'm lucky I might even learn how to take a decent picture.
  • MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Count me in, please.........
    not a Nikon owner so, you'll have to make room for an outcast :-)

Sounds like a load of fun. What could be better, 10 (?) nature photographers pointing their cameras at the same birds at the same time. lol It'll be enough to make a young chic cry. :-)

Thank you for the invite. I've kind of been out of the loop for a little while, this will give me a chance to get my hand / eye coordination going again.

Markjay (can I share here?) took this one yesterday

1014642-M-6.jpg
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
    edited December 15, 2005
    dallas wrote:
    Harry I would like to attend so please add my name to your list if I'm not to late. My sister lives in Palatka, so I will plan a visit to her around the shooting dates. My wife may come, so I'll need a room for the two of us. Having grown up in South Florida, I'm looking forward for this opportunity to return as a picture taking tourist, as well as meeting new friends with similar interests. If I'm lucky I might even learn how to take a decent picture.
    Got you covered Dallas. Sent you a PM.
    Harry
    edited December 15, 2005
    Markjay wrote:
    not a Nikon owner so, you'll have to make room for an outcast :-)

Sounds like a load of fun. What could be better, 10 (?) nature photographers pointing their cameras at the same birds at the same time. lol It'll be enough to make a young chic cry. :-)

Thank you for the invite. I've kind of been out of the loop for a little while, this will give me a chance to get my hand / eye coordination going again.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Harry
    edited January 4, 2006
    Hi Y’all,

I apologize to everyone for being out of touch for a while. My wife’s 91-year-old father collapsed on Christmas Eve and has been hospitalized ever since. He will not recover and should pass on sometime this week.

This has set back my planning for the shoot but I hope to get everything set up by the time you get down here.
    You can help me out by PMing me the exact dates you plan to attend the shoot. This will enable me to organize teams (we will be too large of a group to be at some of the locations at the same time) and schedules. I also need the info to make reservations at some of the local restaurants.

I will also need some help from some of the local Florida folks to do some location scouting. I had planned to do most of this myself but that may not be possible right now. If the locals PM or e-mail me we can talk about the locations that I would like to scout out.

I’m looking forward to meeting you all.
    Harry
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2006
    Sorry to hear about your wife's father Harry. Best wishes to your family...

I hope all goes well for your shoot. I was hoping to attend as I was going to be in Florida in February but it is looking like I won't be there until later in the month. Good luck!

Lee

P.S. It is very nice to see something like this being hosted. I am sure that your time and effort are greatly appreciated. See if you can coax a few Coronas out of the attendents. :D
    edited January 13, 2006
    Its all about the food
    Hi Y'all,
    I just finished making the necessary arrangements for our dining pleasure during the Merritt III shoot.

Monday 2/6 - There will be a BBQ at my house with the basic hot dogs,
    hamburgers, soda, Coronas, salads, etc. If anyone has a
    pizza jones we can have a pizza or two delivered also.
    There is no charge all we ask is a pleasant demeanor and
    that you pick up after yourself.

Tuesday 2/7 - Pizza Uno - very close to the La Quinta and the food won't
    kill you.

Wednesday 2/8 - Chowders - A local seafood joint with landlubber
    selections also. Its on US 1 and is right on the river

Thursday 2/9 - Durango's Steakhouse - pretty much what the name implies.
    They also have salads & seafood for those who have issues
    with red meat

Friday 2/10 - Charlie & Jakes - One of my favorites. A BBQ restaurant with
    other choices for the BBQ impaired. Their ribs have been
    voted Brevard's best for the last 4-5 years. They also are a
    micro brewery with some really good brews.

Saturday 2/11 - Dixie Crossroads - A local institution best known for their
    shrimp. They also have excellent steaks. They are
    located very close to the Merritt Island NMR

Sunday 2/12 - Back to Chowders. Why? They had the date open.

All reservations are for 7:30 PM. Except for the BBQ at my place wich will run from 6PM-9PM.

If anybody has a problem with these arrangements please PM me. It won't change anything but you might feel better. :D
    Harry
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,
    I just finsihed making the necessary arrangements for our dining pleasure

my kinda post!

wave.gif Harry, see you at the end of February :D
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2006
    WHat...no BBQ grill for us to cook what we shoot during the day? ne_nau.gifeek7.gif :uhoh rolleyes1.gif Durango? Durango? They serve horse meat there. umph.gifrolleyes1.gif Looks like fun, Harry. Just hope you've made those eagles stick around for us. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited January 19, 2006
    Reminder
    Hi Y'all,

Its getting closer to the shoot. I am really looking forward to meeting y'all and doing some shooting together.

If you are staying at the LaQuinta (formerly the Byamont Inn) you must make your reservation before the 28th of this month. After that the hotel won't hold our rooms and we lose the group rate.
    Harry
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Hey, you all are having a nice long shoot.

Green with envy here in SC.

How much is a nice long shoot again?

Nah, my tax money has been approved, but equipment...........

How much again?????

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited January 19, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hey, you all are having a nice long shoot.

Green with envy here in SC.

How much is a nice long shoot again?

Nah, my tax money has been approved, but equipment...........

How much again?????

ginger

The rooms at the LaQuinta are $118/night.
    Harry
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2006
    Anyone want to share a room?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited January 20, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

If you are staying at the LaQuinta (formerly the Byamont Inn) you must make your reservation before the 28th of this month. After that the hotel won't hold our rooms and we lose the group rate.

Done.... thumb.gif Lady that made the reservations seemed a bit confused and thought we'd all be staying the whole week. ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif That $118 is a group discount. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Man...you can stay on the beach for about that ......over here. :D Do they put complementary lenses on our pillows each morning? thumb.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited January 20, 2006
    Done.... thumb.gif Lady that made the reservations seemed a bit confused and thought we'd all be staying the whole week. ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif That $118 is a group discount. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Man...you can stay on the beach for about that ......over here. :D Do they put complementary lenses on our pillows each morning? thumb.gif

bitch, bitch, bitch

That's the Canon rate. The Nikon rate is much lower. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    edited January 20, 2006
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gifwave.gif
    Harryb wrote:
    bitch, bitch, bitch

That's the Canon rate. The Nikon rate is much lower. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • rblancojrrblancojr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 22, 2006
    Hi, all. Just joined the site. Loved it! I ran into this wonderful gem of a thread and was wondering what the current status of this "field trip" was?

I live in Miami and would love to drive up. Is there a cost to attend? Any hotel info yet or schedule?

Thanks
    edited January 22, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Friday 2/10 - Charlie & Jakes - One of my favorites. A BBQ restaurant with
    other choices for the BBQ impaired. Their ribs have been
    voted Brevard's best for the last 4-5 years. They also are a
    micro brewery with some really good brews.

Hey Harry, I wonder if Dgrin & SmugMug could buy y'all dinner on Saturday night? ear.gif
    edited January 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hey Harry, I wonder if Dgrin & SmugMug could buy y'all dinner on Saturday night? ear.gif

This goes for the Nikon shooters, too lol3.gif
    edited January 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    This goes for the Nikon shooters, too lol3.gif

That sounds like a marvelous idea. PM me the details and it will be done.

Does the offer covers Coronas as well as food? :slosh
    Harry
    edited January 22, 2006
    rblancojr wrote:
    Hi, all. Just joined the site. Loved it! I ran into this wonderful gem of a thread and was wondering what the current status of this "field trip" was?

I live in Miami and would love to drive up. Is there a cost to attend? Any hotel info yet or schedule?

Thanks

sent you a PM.
    Harry
    edited January 29, 2006
    Hi Y'all,

Just a few things for the folks going to the shoot. I was asked by someone what clothing would be right for the shoot.

I would pack some jeans and some shorts for the trip. The late mornings and early afternoons can get quite warm and you might want to have the option of wearing the cooler shorts on some days. I would also pack a light jacket as the evenings and the early morning can be a bit chilly. For foot ware I would recommend sneakers of comfortable walking shoes. Do not wear sandals or their like. The Viera Wetlands are the home to large numbers of fire ants. If you step on a fire ant hill in sandals walking will be very painful for the next few days.

For the Yankees who are coming down and who haven't seen the sun in a while I would recommend that they bring and use sun screen on the shoot. This is the sunshine state you know.

Lastly while the bug population is not that active this time of the year they are still out there. I would recommend that you bring some bug juice along also.
    Harry
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2006
    I am so tempted to drive down. I live up in Daytona Beach, just north of you Harryb. Maybe for next years shoot I'll have a real camera and will be able to drive down. Hell, I'm tempted to drive down just so I can put some faces with some names from here, and be among people who know what they are talking about! :D

Do the locations where you will be going charge? Even though I don't have a good camera I'dbe tempted to drive down during the day one time and come along to the locations just for the experience and thrill.