Options

Does any body here shoot film and scan still?

RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
edited May 14, 2012 in Cameras
I have been playing with large format digital backs and my instructor showed me a scaned medium format picture and the quality was amazing with the ability to pring bilboard size and not pixlate.
I went out today and found a good deal on a Mamiya RB67 but decided to hold off untill I found out all the costs involved. Just wondering if there is any body here that can share their experience?
BMW Tech
Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,912 moderator
    edited May 12, 2012
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    I shoot 35mm film now and then. I love it for a change of pace, a very different overall experience, and a unique look. I'd like to shoot 4x5 someday. Check out these 4x5 Kodachromes:

http://pavel-kosenko.livejournal.com/303194.html?thread=22669914
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2012
    Those photos are wonderful thanks for sharing I have gained a new respect for the larger formats just for the amount of detail they hold.
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    Yeah, medium or large format would be the way to go if you want detail. 35mm has nothing on digital, other than a different "look". I'd put it at 16mp tops. NCPS does a good job scanning.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    Well I got my hands on a Mamiya M645 1000s with a 80mm 2.8 and 150mm 3.5 for a good deal. I will be shooting lots of B&W for my classes however for color photos with the intention of scaning is it better to shoot color negative or transparancy?
    BMW Tech
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Well I got my hands on a Mamiya M645 1000s with a 80mm 2.8 and 150mm 3.5 for a good deal. I will be shooting lots of B&W for my classes however for color photos with the intention of scaning is it better to shoot color negative or transparancy?

My understanding is that negatives are more forgiving of exposure than slide film. I've also heard some arguments that color negatives can be tricky to remove the orange mask, but I haven't found that in practice to be a big deal. Both Vuescan and Silverfast have some pretty good tools for fixing that issue, and there's always the color correction tools in Photoshop ...

On the rare occassion that I shoot film, I do use negatives, but that's mostly a convenience thing on my part. (Availability of film, and processing.)
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2012
    I have been told that at the 35mm level that negatives have greater dynamic range, but slides have more resolution. I agree about the DR, but I dunno, I love Ektar 100 color negative film. Seems to have at least as much resolution as Velvia 50.

949799528_oG6Z6-X3-2.jpg
    -Jack