Options

Bathed In The Sun.

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited May 15, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
I always wanted to try experimenting with backlighting but can't seem to find some willing subjects to work with. I thought I'll just probably try it out with some grass leaves instead. :) Thank you very much for viewing.

7173412042_a93d438b14_b.jpg
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2012
    I don't know, brother. I'm not sure about this one. I see much more sidelighting than backlighting. I find the glare very intrusive. I'm interested to see what other folks think about it.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    I agree with Tom. There's too much light on the right side. Maybe BW with some PP to reduce the brightness...
  • Options
    jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Thanks, Tom and Juano. Basically, I am experimenting on a certain "technique" or effect that I have seen. Since I don't have a human model to work with I simply decided to try it out with grasses. I was inspired by the works of Bruno Aveillan though I must say that his work is so subtle and so refined. I am still trying to understand the ingredients and the discipline as to how his shots work so kindly bear with an amateur guy like me. mwink.gif:D I also agree that my experimental shot was more of a sidelighting than a pure backlit shot.

Here is one example of his work involving low contrast, backlit shots:

7196004486_dcde15fed3_b.jpg
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    Well, Willie, I'm still at a loss here. Perhaps there's some semantics coming into play. In a shot based on backlighting, the light eminates....as you would expect.... from the rear of the subject. In this example, there is some light flowing from behind the subject but, frankly, the dominant light is swirling from all directions....again mostly from the side. I don't think this shot is a good example of backlighting at all. There sure may be other opinions out there.

See ya,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Putting aside what you explain you were trying to do... I find the image under its title or without it, to be very a credible result that I personally find appealing. Highkeyish minimual with interesting negative space values. Pretty cool the way you got it composed up and in what you were trying to do. I had to look the fellow and his technique up. Watched a few videos of commercials he has done and many still shots using the back lighting technique you mention and other methods he is using most excellently. I also like seeing the effort towards "getting it" in camera first. :D Which definitely includes your efforts here.
    Michael