A Stroll Down St. George Street

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited May 18, 2012 in Street and Documentary
It's not street photography but it is photography of a street....a famous street at that. It's located in the heart of historic St. Augustine, FL. It stretches for quite a few blocks. It is limited to pedestrian traffic now and has become a tourist mecca....quite different from years back when it accommodated two-lane car access.

This area used to be where the residents of St. Augustine did all their primary shopping. My wife, born and raised in St. Augustine, remembers when she, as a little girl, would go into the stores, load up on a bunch of goodies, and tell the store personnel to just send her daddy the bills. Boy, have times changed!!!

St-Augustine-Rinz-007-X2.jpg

St-Augustine-Rinz-005-X2.jpg

St-Augustine-Rinz-002-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Thanks Tom, St. George street is one of my favorite destinations for street photography. I especially love to walk it at night, just after dark -- with a D3 and a 50mm. f/1.4 lens. Only got over there once this past winter fort a couple nights in the St. George Inn. Got to get back a lot more times next year. My last B&W award photo came from St. George street. Thanks for the reminder.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    rolleyes1.gif"My wife, born and raised in St. Augustine, remembers when she, as a little girl, would go into the stores, load up on a bunch of goodies, and tell the store personnel to just send her daddy the bills. Boy, have times changed!!!" Have they? I thought that's what credit cards were all about.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Thanks Tom, St. George street is one of my favorite destinations for street photography. I especially love to walk it at night, just after dark -- with a D3 and a 50mm. f/1.4 lens. Only got over there once this past winter fort a couple nights in the St. George Inn. Got to get back a lot more times next year. My last B&W award photo came from St. George street. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi Russ,

I knew this was one of your favorite haunts for street photography. If I had any real skills at that genre of photography, I'd sure zero in on this place as well. St. George Street is a people watcher's paradise.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited May 15, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    rolleyes1.gif"My wife, born and raised in St. Augustine, remembers when she, as a little girl, would go into the stores, load up on a bunch of goodies, and tell the store personnel to just send her daddy the bills. Boy, have times changed!!!" Have they? I thought that's what credit cards were all about.

I don't know, BD. Walking into a store with a credit card, as opposed to telling the clerks to just send your daddy the bills, is worlds apart.

Tom
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    I don't know, BD. Walking into a store with a credit card, as opposed to telling the clerks to just send your daddy the bills, is worlds apart.

Tom

Don't plenty of Daddys still pay for their kids CC's, just saying :D
    I do agree it's not nearly as warm and fuzzy of a feeling however!
    edited May 15, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Don't plenty of Daddys still pay for their kids CC's, just saying :D
    I do agree it's not nearly as warm and fuzzy of a feeling however!

Well sure, Ben. Plenty of dads still pay for their kid's CC's. Hell, these days they are still paying for some grown-up kids CC's. But that's not the point. I'm talking about a time when there were no CC's. Families often ran a tab at the local stores....as did my wife's....and the store owners never thought twice about getting stiffed. You'd be hard pressed to find a store owner today who'd let someone load up their arms with stuff and have the person tell them to send a bill to my daddy.

Walking in with a credit card, instead of a story to " bill my daddy ", just ain't the same.

Tom
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    I love St. George Street and the older sections of St Augustine. Great places for photo ops.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited May 15, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I love St. George Street and the older sections of St Augustine. Great places for photo ops.

Boy, Harry, you're not just joking there. Over time, I've built up quite an array of shots throughout the entire historic area of St. Augustine. A particular pet project of mine has been to capture the many, many unique gates and courtyards that beautifully portray the history of the area. There's a group of preservationists that want me to spearhead the publication of a coffee-table book based around my work. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for looking in,

Tom
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Looks like a place that should be on my bucket list.

Shots give a good overview of the street. What I want next is more focused shooting with interesting subjects and the area as setting/background...
    edited May 15, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    Looks like a place that should be on my bucket list.

Shots give a good overview of the street. What I want next is more focused shooting with interesting subjects and the area as setting/background...

Along this street, there's no shortage of subjects that would arouse your interest. I hope you can make it there one day. I'd love to see your interpretations of life on St. George Street.

Thanks for the visit,

Tom
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Boy, Harry, you're not just joking there. Over time, I've built up quite an array of shots throughout the entire historic area of St. Augustine. A particular pet project of mine has been to capture the many, many unique gates and courtyards that beautifully portray the history of the area. There's a group of preservationists that want me to spearhead the publication of a coffee-table book based around my work. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for looking in,

Tom

Sounds like a great opportunity for a very good cause. Too much of St Augustine has been homogenized for the tourist trade already. I would hate to see it lose its unique feel.

Completely OT, on my last visit to St Augustine I found a great restaurant. Its called GAS Full Service and its located just over the Bridge of Lions. All their meals are prepared fresh using local produce. Well worth a visit.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited May 16, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    Sounds like a great opportunity for a very good cause. Too much of St Augustine has been homogenized for the tourist trade already. I would hate to see it lose its unique feel.

Completely OT, on my last visit to St Augustine I found a great restaurant. Its called GAS Full Service and its located just over the Bridge of Lions. All their meals are prepared fresh using local produce. Well worth a visit.

I've seen that place, Harry. I'll have to give it a try. You gotta love some of the restaurant names in that town. A little further down the road from the one you mention is my favorite restaurant there....the Gypsy Cab Company.

Tom
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012

Tom

Not if you're walking into the story with Daddy's credit card.rolleyes1.gifrofl
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited May 16, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Not if you're walking into the story with Daddy's credit card.rolleyes1.gifrofl

Well, of course you're right, BD,....in a pure literal sense. My original comment was meant to emphasize the gross difference between the level of trust and openness that existed back then, as opposed to now. Back in the times I'm addressing, " open " accounts, or running tabs, between a merchant and his customers was a very normal arrangement. These days, nobody trusts anybody. You let a modern-era business try and operate on such a basis and they'll soon find themselves out of business. Just another sad comment on the status of our world today.

BTW, during my stroll down this street, I ran across a couple of folks who had a dog very similar to your two. This one was all dressed up in pink for Mother's Day....quite a sight. I tried several times to get a good shot of it to post just for you. Unfortunately, none of them came out as well as I had hoped.

Tom
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    I love it and I myself would consider it Urban street. What an excellent series :)
    edited May 18, 2012
    Javier wrote: »
    I love it and I myself would consider it Urban street. What an excellent series :)

Many thanks, Javier, for the kind words. Coming from you, it means a lot.

I was somewhat reticent to refer to these shots as being street photography. Truth is, you guys and gals that are skilled street shooters would have untold opportunities along this venue to do some dynamite work. But then, your LA playground may be unbeatable in that regard.

Thanks again,

Tom