Options

Yes? No? or Maybe? C&C please...

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited May 16, 2012 in People
Here is a first attempt at individual soccer portraits. No doubt quite a bit of room to improve. This is a Middle School kid aged somewhere in the 11-13 range. Opinions? More to come as I finish them...

1)
i-BjMLV6z-XL.jpg
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Really like this. I have some minor nits on your strobe work but honestly, they aren't worth mentioning. Reminds me a little of Joel Grimes stuff. I'm sure this kids going to be stoked. I can see a large poster size of this hanging on his wall in his room. Very cool.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2012
    Really like this. I have some minor nits on your strobe work but honestly, they aren't worth mentioning. Reminds me a little of Joel Grimes stuff. I'm sure this kids going to be stoked. I can see a large poster size of this hanging on his wall in his room. Very cool.

Thanks for the compliments. I agree, I have nits about the strobe work too, was trying out a new Einstein controlled by a pocket wizard power mc2, and it was weirding out on me. Modeling light going on and off and some other stuff. So I got close as I could with the time I had. I think when they say don't plug the pocket wizard in with the power on they really mean is don't plug the pocket wizard in with the einstein unit plugged into the wall at all. Serves me right for not doing more practice at home with the new gear before using it. Oh well I'll get it working soon enough I suspect.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Thanks for the compliments. I agree, I have nits about the strobe work too, was trying out a new Einstein controlled by a pocket wizard power mc2, and it was weirding out on me. Modeling light going on and off and some other stuff. So I got close as I could with the time I had. I think when they say don't plug the pocket wizard in with the power on they really mean is don't plug the pocket wizard in with the einstein unit plugged into the wall at all. Serves me right for not doing more practice at home with the new gear before using it. Oh well I'll get it working soon enough I suspect.

Care to share your light setup?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 15, 2012
    Love it. Looks like two lights to me, on either side of the boy.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Love it. Looks like two lights to me, on either side of the boy.

Yup. Same thing I thought. I think the best light setup for this would be 3 lights. Two to either side but slightly behind and one in front for slight fill. Of course, this poses a problem since the light to his left would be in the shot. You'd have to either composite him entirely into the scene or take a shot without him it in and then blend the light out of the photo.

I think the 3 light setup would yield the most natural looking light for this since he's being lit from all sides. Joel Grimes uses a 3 light setup almost exclusively.

****BUT again, just being picky here. I think the shot is really freaking great as is and that kid is going to go bonkers when he sees it. Totally kickass shot.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Pono PhotoPono Photo Registered Users Posts: 68 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2012
    thumb.gif

The kid is going to freak out when he see this! You should tell us his reaction. i would love to know. :D
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Really like this one. Can you put some motion into the ball? My nit is the light area right in the middle that takes away from the subject. Wish the clouds can down alot more.
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    Really well done. I'm guessing the dodging on the horizon was to help the transition from the bottom half of the shot (actual background) from the sky, which was dropped in. I think it works very well. Ball motion would be an improvement, but no biggie, imo. Great job!
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2012
    I think its totally awesome! I agree with Alex that it has a Joel Grimes feel to it. The only nit I have is his right arm and leg are underexposed. I guess I just wish they were a tad bit brighter.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2012
    Care to share your light setup?

Lights were as follows: 1 Einstein in a 22 inch beauty dish boomed right in front down angle 20-30 degrees. One SB900 on either side, no mods, up on stands about a foot higher then the players head height and angled down a bit. Though as I said the einstein was going weird on me. So the lighting implementation was considerably less than optimal. (of course that is mostly an excuse, even if it had been working, there would have been issues) I'm going to run the unit through its paces this weekend to see if it was the unit or something stupid I did. ATM the high odds are for the latter.
    Pono Photo wrote: »
    thumb.gif

The kid is going to freak out when he see this! You should tell us his reaction. i would love to know. :D

I certainly will, I can't wait to find out myself thumb.gif
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Really like this one. Can you put some motion into the ball? My nit is the light area right in the middle that takes away from the subject. Wish the clouds can down alot more.

Thats a great idea to have motion in the ball. I'm going to try and see if I can pull that off. As for the light spot in the middle, I added a gradient to mask out the fact that I live in a bit of a trailer trash town with lots of busted cars and chain link everywhere and other distracting ugly spots. Perhaps there is a better solution? ne_nau.gif
    jpc wrote: »
    Really well done. I'm guessing the dodging on the horizon was to help the transition from the bottom half of the shot (actual background) from the sky, which was dropped in. I think it works very well. Ball motion would be an improvement, but no biggie, imo. Great job!

Correct, the sky was dropped in, but then again so was everything else. I was attempting to follow a compositing "recipe" out of a book. The player and ball were shot separately in our gym, the field in the early A.M. and the sky is a stock photo from one of the books I've been reading.
    I think its totally awesome! I agree with Alex that it has a Joel Grimes feel to it. The only nit I have is his right arm and leg are underexposed. I guess I just wish they were a tad bit brighter.

Yes turns out that one of the many things I have a somewhat imperfect understanding of is the light spread on my new beauty dish. Didn't notice his arm was not in the "sweet spot" when I was shooting it, but perhaps I can lighten it up a bit. I'll give it a try and see what happens. The inspiration, if thats what you want to call it, came from here as you guessed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelgrimesphotography/3223431315/

Mostly I was just trying to copy it.:D For some reason his came out better.headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks again everyone for all the input. It seems like every time I go out to shoot I am reminding myself of what not to forget and invariably I forget something and discover 10 new things not to forget eek7.gif, but I sure do enjoy the process. wings.gif
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Nicely done. I really like this. Definitely caught the essence of Joel Grimes here.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012

This is my primary nit as well. The heavy fog kind of creates this strange separation between sky and earth, that's strange also.

But, however, and a big however, as everyone else said the player and his parents will be very excited about this. That's all you can hope to achieve!
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    After looking at the two you pretty much nailed it. You have inspired me to shoot stuff like this when I get home (currently deployed) and I am looking at getting another light. How would you rate the Einstein vs. the AB1600?
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    I've heard stories about people who have both and the bees seem to be built tougher than the Einsteins.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2012
    Well I am looking to add to my lights. I am gonna keep both my AB1600 and AB800. Just looking for a third light so I can do shots like this.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    I like the idea.
    Unfortunately the areas that are featured are not any of the subjects.
    Next time accent the foreground instead of the background. My eye went straight to the bright background, then I searched around the frame for the subjects, which are the boy and the ball.