Military Based Movie Set

GwagDesignsGwagDesigns Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
edited May 18, 2012 in Street and Documentary
A bunch of us were up in Orting, WA shooting video for a little film were putting together, and I did some BTS coverage during the day:

IMG9793-L.jpg

IMG9827-L.jpg

IMG9867-L.jpg

IMG9962-L.jpg

IMG0014-Edit-L.jpg
[7D] - [30D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50
www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr

Comments

• RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Which military? Must be the navy. Neither the air force nor the army would let these guys out of the barracks with facial hair like that.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    They be the cleanest looking troops in the field I ever did see.

Sam
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    Some very good captures in that set. They do have a much better fashion sense than we had in Vietnam.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Which military? Must be the navy. Neither the air force nor the army would let these guys out of the barracks with facial hair like that.

They're obviously extreme SPECOPS warriors, Russ, who are actively fighting the Taliban and therefore require beards.

I know you've been out for awhile now, but this is just the way it is. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • GwagDesignsGwagDesigns Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    They're obviously extreme SPECOPS warriors, Russ, who are actively fighting the Taliban and therefore require beards.

I know you've been out for awhile now, but this is just the way it is. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Haha it's not a totally serious thing, those farby guys toward the bottom are playing the part of the russian army rolleyes1.gif
    [7D] - [30D] - [GF1] - 70-200f4L | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 105 | Sigma 18-50
    www.GwagDesigns.com | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr

edited May 17, 2012
    Okay, Quincy, In Vietnam I was around a bunch of green berets who all seemed to be clean shaven, but, of course so were the VC. Seems to me that instead of growing beards SPECOPS should be giving the Taliban a close shave. But regarding Gwag's comment, I haven't seen many Russian troops, but the ones I have seen had shaved.
    edited May 17, 2012
    These are volunteer actors. They ain't gona go the distance and shave etc for a free movie.

As for dress if imbedded into an indigenous military resistance movement one would normally adopt dress, grooming, customs, food etc to match the people you are working with.

Plus if your the only guy standing there with a nice clean shinny uniform, all the high tech gear and freshly shaved face, who do you think gets shot first?

Sam
    edited May 17, 2012
    Like I said, Sam, green berets in Vietnam were clean shaven -- maybe because the Vietnamese were too? You're right, of course. When you're sure to be murdered if you look different you try not to look different.
    edited May 17, 2012
    Like I said, Sam, green berets in Vietnam were clean shaven -- maybe because the Vietnamese were too? You're right, of course. When you're sure to be murdered if you look different you try not to look different.

In Vietnam many Special Forces were set up in remote camps with Cambodian and Montagnard personnel.

They all wore the same type of fatigues. These people don't have facial hair, so they did more closely match their personnel.

But this was a lifetime ago and the methods and sophistication of embedding personnel has surely evolved.

Sam
    edited May 17, 2012
    That's what I said, Sam: the Vietnamese and the Meo were clean shaven. I didn't say anything about how they got that way. But of course, in the middle east embedded people have to have beards. Makes it tough to embed women, though.
    edited May 17, 2012
    That's what I said, Sam: the Vietnamese and the Meo were clean shaven. I didn't say anything about how they got that way. But of course, in the middle east embedded people have to have beards. Makes it tough to embed women, though.

Don't start on that! No woman in SF.

Sam
    edited May 17, 2012
    So far. The way they're approaching things it won't be long. They just let women into combat units.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Gosh and gollies I must have wandered into the wrong forum. I thought this was a photography forum. headscratch.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Okay, Quincy, In Vietnam I was around a bunch of green berets who all seemed to be clean shaven, but, of course so were the VC. Seems to me that instead of growing beards SPECOPS should be giving the Taliban a close shave. But regarding Gwag's comment, I haven't seen many Russian troops, but the ones I have seen had shaved.

I was just being facetious, I think I agree with harry when he says that the level of commitment required when it comes to shaving facial hair is beyond these volunteer actors. Facial hair seems to be a very important thing these days. Maybe that's naiveté on my part.
  • JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Simply stunning. The clarity is awe-some and the images are breath taking !