Options

Glacier National Park - Mountain Goats

WigProWigPro Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited May 24, 2012 in Wildlife
Went with a buddy to a place known for Goats and we saw a couple way off in the distance, my buddy said he knew a better place to view them and lo and behold...we found some!

All taken with the Olympus E-30 - 50-200 and either the EC-14 or EC-20 EXIF intact.
Click for full sized image...

P5168674Rev1-L.jpg

P5168558Rev1-L.jpg

P5168363Rev1-L.jpg

P5168538Rev1-L.jpg

P5168428Rev1-L.jpg

Comments are always welcomed and encouraged...

BTW - I love Glacier National Park and Montana, I should live here!

Enjoy,

Jim
Olympus E-30, E-500 - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle Zoom, 50 Macro, 14-45, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300 and 14-54, Olympus FL-36 TTL Flash, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Bower SFD 328 Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Adobe CS3 Suite, tripods, cases and a whole bunch of other stuff!!!
SmugMug Pics - Click Here Personal Website - Click Here

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Good set of well exposed images.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Really nice series! Best, Pam
  • Options
    tshaddicktshaddick Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Great shots. Still a shaggy coat on these guys. Is Glacier National Park fully open yet? I go to Waterton National Park (Canadian side of Glacier), but I have never been to Glacier.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    tshaddick wrote: »
    Great shots. Still a shaggy coat on these guys. Is Glacier National Park fully open yet? I go to Waterton National Park (Canadian side of Glacier), but I have never been to Glacier.

Most of Glacier is open...the Going to The Sun road is not open yet, but rumor has it they are ahead of schedule...but still removing snow then have to fix the areas some avalanches damaged, so the timetable for that road is not until mid-late June. I understand it is open most of the way up the East side, but you would have to call and check.

There is so much to see of Glacier that it can takes weeks or months to really see it all. I have been here three times for several weeks at a time and have not begun to discover it all.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments, have looked for goats at least 6 times in my last three visits and this was the first time we got close enough to be worthwhile. They are a little ragged from the winter and dirty from licking the rocks for the minerals, that is the matted area under their chins, someone suggested they were injured, but it is just died hair from the minerals they lick and their sloppy eating and drooling when they lay down.

Thanks again.

Jim
    Olympus E-30, E-500 - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle Zoom, 50 Macro, 14-45, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300 and 14-54, Olympus FL-36 TTL Flash, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Bower SFD 328 Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Adobe CS3 Suite, tripods, cases and a whole bunch of other stuff!!!
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Awesome set Jim. It's my favorite species of goats.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    MusetekMusetek Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    What magnificent beasties! These are great shots, thanks for sharing. thumb.gif
    http://pomeroy-photography.com

http://pomeroyphotography.smugmug.com

Universe halted: reality.sys not found (that's old school!)
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    Love these. Bucket list stuff for me.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2012
    Thanks Everyone - I have been to this area 6 times and only managed to see them way off in the distance, this time we are able to take a small hike to an area where we managed to get on the other side of a ravine and we were only about 40 yards away and they knew we could not get to them, so they just hung out and so did we...most of these are pretty much full frame - harsh morning light, but at least we were close....

Rare to catch them this close, in my experience.

Thanks again.

Jim
  • Options
    CanonFanCanonFan Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    I'm going to Glacier June 16...can you tell me where you hiked , or how to get there? Thanks!
    Capture the Light!

Franklin, NC
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2012
    CanonFan wrote: »
    I'm going to Glacier June 16...can you tell me where you hiked , or how to get there? Thanks!

Well it is actually pretty easy. If you look in the guide - there is a place called Goat Lick. There is a pull off and parking lot...first check there. You may see some goats across the canyon. Take the paved trail from the parking lot to the end...if you see goats to your right, under the bridge - you can go around the fence and hike up closer, it is steep and near a cliff, so be careful. If you can't get high enough and the goats are on the other side of the bridge...go back to your car and exit the parking lot, turn left and park near the bridge on the opposite side of the road from the parking lot entrance and walk down under the bridge or in the grassy area beside the bridge and you may have a better view.

It is on Route 2...google Goat Lick - Glacier and it will explain.

Jim
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    Last time I was there I was sitting in a high pass taking macro shots of wildflowers in a white t-shirt...not paying much attention.
    I heard something behind me and a female with a baby had walked up and were grazing 10 feet behind me....they must not have looked close so thought I was another goat. Those horns looked really sharp that close, was careful to not spook her until they wandered off aways.

Nice photos, how lucky you were to be able to get so close to these. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    PacificklausPacificklaus Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    Really nice, I imagine these animals are quite shy.