Options

Few from my last prom shoot.

mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited May 19, 2012 in People
Here are couple more from my last prom shoot.

8x10-AshelyMichael120512MG3982-XL.jpg

AshelyMichael120512MG4012-Edit-XL.jpg

AshelyMichael120512MG4022-Edit-XL.jpg

AshelyMichael120512MG4081-Edit-XL.jpg

AshelyMichael120512MG3919-XL.jpg

8x10-AshelyMichael120512MG3891-XL.jpg

5x7-AshelyMichael120512MG3873-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    I sort of like the processing effect but it makes the whites Icky ( for lack of a better term). Maybe the history brush could put some white back in those areas. (eyes, teeth, shirt)
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I sort of like the processing effect but it makes the whites Icky ( for lack of a better term). Maybe the history brush could put some white back in those areas. (eyes, teeth, shirt)

Thanks for your comments, so you are saying to birthen up whites in teeth, shirt, eyes ? Everything here processed in LR4 with trip to CS5 for applying some USM.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Your colors aren't on the money, I was assuming you were trying for some type of cross processing and that is fine if that was your intent. Your whites just seem out of kilter for whites.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    I'm seeing a green cast over the color shots. Especially her skin in the first shot.

I've never shot prom, so I don't know what is typical or acceptable, but some of these shots look very wedding-ish, especially the one of him carrying her. If I was her father that one would cross the line.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    I'm seeing a green cast over the color shots. Especially her skin in the first shot.

I've never shot prom, so I don't know what is typical or acceptable, but some of these shots look very wedding-ish, especially the one of him carrying her. If I was her father that one would cross the line.

Slight green cast is from VSCO presets in LR4. Yes I understand that carrying her part is bit out of line but that is what boy and girl wanted and I was bit uncomfortable with it so cross-checked with girl's parents before doing that and they granted their permission. Whole prom concept is bit alien due to different cultural background.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Your colors aren't on the money, I was assuming you were trying for some type of cross processing and that is fine if that was your intent. Your whites just seem out of kilter for whites.

Yes it is processed in LR4 with VSCO presets + CS5 trip for USM. Some of cross processing you are seeing is due to that.
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    mjoshi123 wrote: »
    Slight green cast is from VSCO presets in LR4. Yes I understand that carrying her part is bit out of line but that is what boy and girl wanted and I was bit uncomfortable with it so cross-checked with girl's parents before doing that and they granted their permission. Whole prom concept is bit alien due to different cultural background.

Cool. The poses, compositions, and IQ are great except she looks a little wooden in #2. If I could do that one over I'd have her sit in some way as to elongate the dress.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    Cool. The poses, compositions, and IQ are great except she looks a little wooden in #2. If I could do that one over I'd have her sit in some way as to elongate the dress.

Thanks, point noted, probably will take care of it next time I tend to do something similar.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    great set. here are a few net pics

#1 looks a little green

#2. I'd move the black point up or the low part of the curve down.

#3 too much headroom for my taste

#4 splotches of light on the face distracting

#5 perfect. Framing, light expression, great

6 and 7 very nice!
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    great set. here are a few net pics

#1 looks a little green

#2. I'd move the black point up or the low part of the curve down.

#3 too much headroom for my taste

#4 splotches of light on the face distracting

#5 perfect. Framing, light expression, great

6 and 7 very nice!

Thanks for your comments, with regards to too much headroom on #3, I've question from learning point of view. Girl wants this one to be printed on 8x10. Hence this one is cropped on 8x10 in LR3 gives me closest to the#3 frame without starting to cut sides. So how do you guys deal with this kind of situation if you dont know before hand how end product is going to be cropped ?
    Splothes of light you are seeing in #4 is from sun rays filtering from leaves. There were bunch of others in same set with less splotche but it didnot had those natural expression in terms of smile on boy's face. As you can see thru out shoot boy's smile is bit reserved, in this one picture girl wanted to try this pose and I was firing away with bunch of frames and this particular was at the end where he could not hold longer and started laughing. The reason to convert to B&W was because of those light rays filtering thru leaves and falling on different parts of frame.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    The way the bodies are positioned it would make a tough 4x5 crop.

Something to consider....

Make a "Letterbox" out of it. Sort of what you see on your TV when watching a wide screen movie, a black bar on top and bottom. Kid's might think it's cool, like they're in a movie.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    The way the bodies are positioned it would make a tough 4x5 crop.

Something to consider....

Make a "Letterbox" out of it. Sort of what you see on your TV when watching a wide screen movie, a black bar on top and bottom. Kid's might think it's cool, like they're in a movie.

that is interesting, will run with kids to see if they like it. thanks for tip.