Options

5DmkII vertical banding?

sadladsadlad Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited May 27, 2012 in Cameras
Hi everyone! I just bought a 5DmkII a bit over a week ago, and recently I've noticed my shots had these vertical lines in them. I've read on here about some people having banding issues on the 5d2, but still am not sure if that is what this is, or perhaps a setting.

I have reset all of the user settings just in case I boogered up something. I went back to early shots I had done with it and they looked great, bokeh's nice and smooth even at 3:1.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Reset all camera user settings, the only change I made was to switch it to RAW.

ISO 100

Here is a link to the Full Image in my gallery. This image is unedited straight from the camera.

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    Sorry for being a bad news bearer, but it looks like you have a sensor issue
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=954375
    If you google, you'll find quite a few of those, this is just one of those with both problem and solution in one place.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    Oh no!
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Sorry for being a bad news bearer, but it looks like you have a sensor issue
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=954375
    If you google, you'll find quite a few of those, this is just one of those with both problem and solution in one place.

Thank you so much for the quick response and excellent reference to relevant information. This will really help me in resolving this issue. I had searched for similar info, but never found a true example such as this with an example photo. This is identical to my issue, I will see it in some photos, but not in others. I haven't decided whether to try to return to B&H or request repair by Canon.

I was really disappointed when I first saw this, but I need to jump on it and get it repaired ASAP. I had a wedding to shoot this weekend, but I think I will fall back on the 40D to make sure I don't loose any shots.

Thanks again! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2012
    Jason,
    if you never used 5D2 before and only used 40D I wouldn't recommend shooting a real wedding with it anyway. It's too much of a new beast to conquer in just a few days, and a wedding is not good as training ground.
    That said, if you still can return it, I would simply exchange it with B&H. They are good guys and will recognize a known problem, while you get a body with hopefully no banding problem and 0 shutter count.
    Nikolai
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2012
    Good advice, I will shoot with the 40D for sure then and start working with B&H to try and get it replaced.

You know, my brother just so happened to buy a 10-22mm EF-S lens from you for his 7D, not too long ago. That lens takes some great shots! Small world huh?

Take care...
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2012
    sadlad wrote: »
    Good advice, I will shoot with the 40D for sure then and start working with B&H to try and get it replaced.

You know, my brother just so happened to buy a 10-22mm EF-S lens from you for his 7D, not too long ago. That lens takes some great shots! Small world huh?

Take care...

Laughing.gif, small world indeed! Hope he enjoys it, cause I surely did, lots of fine memories were captured with that baby :-) thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2012
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention this thing was brand new! That seems crazy that after this model has had this issue for this long and they are still sending out bad cameras. Very strange.

Anyway, just for reference, I called up B&H and they were more than happy to replace it with a new camera and quickly sent me an RMA with no hassle at all, even though the rep stated that he hadn't heard of this issue before.

Let's see how the next one does!
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2012
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention this thing was brand new! That seems crazy that after this model has had this issue for this long and they are still sending out bad cameras. Very strange.

Anyway, just for reference, I called up B&H and they were more than happy to replace it with a new camera and quickly sent me an RMA with no hassle at all, even though the rep stated that he hadn't heard of this issue before.

Let's see how the next one does!

Told you, B&H are good folks!deal.gif Good to hear you're getting a replacement! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    thumb.gifthumb on B&H and returns. They just let me return some lights that were past the 30 day return period, no problem. I returned them just because I decided they wouldn't really work for what I wanted them for.
    Nikolai wrote: »
    Told you, B&H are good folks!deal.gif Good to hear you're getting a replacement! thumb.gif
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012

There's a reason we pay a little more to buy at places like B&H, or have our cameras serviced at the factory. I had one of my 1D4 bodies fail at a major sports event (yes, I did have a back-up) and CPS fixed it and got it back to me in four days.