Options

PC or MAC? LAPTOP or DESKTOP?

CgrinnerCgrinner Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 18, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Hi,

I would like to receive advice on which device is best for editing RAW images? A desktop or a laptop? A pc or mac? Currently, I'm using samsung PC desktop to edit my images, but I do not personally own it. I would like to make a purchase (computer or laptop) to cater to my editing/photography needs (to use) at home.

Here are some links of the work I've done using a pc laptop

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/555168_410790675609875_394891293866480_1363481_1145307482_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/577492_408399589182317_394891293866480_1354653_586711919_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/464325_408461645842778_394891293866480_1354790_508674152_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    What is your software of choice?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,848 moderator
    edited May 17, 2012
    The truth is that there are many modern computers that are capable of photographic editing and alteration of digital images.

I honestly believe that a modern Windows desktop PC is arguably the best overall "value" in terms of initial cost as well as total cost of ownership (TCO). Macs are more resistant to computer viruses and they tend to be easier to maintain (IMO).

A laptop of either system is more portable, obviously, but both initial cost and TCO is much higher for a similar total processing power system.

For instance, I am very happy with my 2 year old CyberPower desktop (4 core, i5) from NewEgg.com, plus a 21" NEC, IPS display. The system has a 500GB internal HD. Figure on about $900 for a decent desktop computer plus another $250 (or so) for a display.

Remember to budget for software, and a full copy of Photoshop (Standard version) runs around $670 or so. Lightroom might suffice, as might Photoshop Elements, and both are considerably less than Photoshop.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    If you're fairly advanced, and I think you may be due you are editing from RAW, stay with a desktop for the serious color accurate work.

Unless you're willing to shell out $2000 for a top end laptop, or are willing to go with a lesser laptop but with a better quality external monitor attached to the laptop, the desktop will be the most flexible solution in the long run for color management and data storage.

Most laptops, including MacBooks, use inexpensive "TN" tft LCD panels in their screens. They don't always offer adequate coverage of the sRGB color space and images will show color/gamma shift at angles other than viewed straight on. Plus they're not the easiest to calibrate as they lack dedicated Brightness, Contrast, and RGB controls.

Some mid level laptops offer advanced docking stations which may be of interest as they enhance connectivity for storage and multiple external monitors.

There are a handful of high end laptops, more like mobile workstations, that offer quality IPS tft LCD panels in their screens, some with RGB-LED back lights for a wide gamut display covering pretty much 100% of the sRGB and AdobeRGB color spaces.

Probably the most significant addition to your digital darkroom will be a decent quality monitor and a hardware calibrator to ensure that the colors you see on its' screen are accurate to standard; this is regardless of whether you have a desktop or laptop.

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    I would also add that a desktop can be much less expensive to upgrade/repair as compared to a laptop or all in one. For example if you want to upgrade your video card, that can be done on most true tower computers which is typically more difficult on a laptop. Also things such as replacing Optical Media or hard disk drives can be more cost effective on a tower.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    While I do concur with most of the stuff been said above, one word of caveat: modern desktop motherboards often come heavily "integrated", same way the laptops always have been, which may affect future upgrades...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Desktops don't actually depend on their integrated hardware though. Integrated hardware for desktops is either a fallback or a budget option. They have a bunch of slots so you can specifically customize it the way you want to, and with upgrading specifically in mind. For the most part, laptops are the opposite and depend on their integrated hardware without drastic future upgrades in mind. Most laptop audio and video cards are soldered to the board and cannot be upgraded in any sane scenario. CPUs can be upgraded but typically it is a limited upgrade. RAM only goes as far as desktops (typically 16 or 32GB max now) The biggest upgrade a laptop can really get in terms of really boosting performance in the future is a faster hard disk.

Cgrinner, really it depends whether you want the option of mobility or future upgradeability. Mostly any modern day $800 laptop with a good fast hard drive can tear through RAW files. I have a 40 month old laptop that can process 40MP+ images without any problems at all. If it had a solid state drive, it'd go even faster. The laptop + screen option will cost a bit more than the PC option, but if you value being able to take it places, it might be your solution.