Spiders

Mcfly682Mcfly682 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited May 22, 2012 in Holy Macro
Not sure what these are exactly and im very new to my macro lens, so be gentle.

IMG7325-XL.jpg

IMG7297-XL.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    Like #1 but you missed good eye focus with #2
    think #1 is an orbweb spider Araniella species and #2 is a jumping spider Phidippus species.
    Not sure if you are using AF but most macro shooters use manual focus when shooting near 1:1 or higher
    Brian v.
  • Mcfly682Mcfly682 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2012
    Hi Brian. I was using manual focus, but im finding that handheld MF is a matter of millimeters of movement. Even the smallest heartbeat can make or break focus. Is there a trick? How do you stabilize your camera when shooting macro?

Chris
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    Mcfly682 wrote: »
    Hi Brian. I was using manual focus, but im finding that handheld MF is a matter of millimeters of movement. Even the smallest heartbeat can make or break focus. Is there a trick? How do you stabilize your camera when shooting macro?

Chris
    Hi Chris- a variety of tricks depending on the situation. I sometimes use a bean pole that I grip in my left hand along with a bit of camera, or where I can I rest the lens on a hardsurface or on a bit of me. One advantage of short focus distances is in some cases you can hold a leaf or stem the bug is on and rest the camera lens on the same hand. One other point is I rarely try to hold focus but gently move back and forth and hit the shutter as I pass through the focus I want.
    Lastly as I often focus stack, I tend to try and take a series of shot with different focus points so that even if the shots are not suitable for focus stacking I have effectively focus bracketed the subjectnd normally have one shot with the focus where I want it.

Brian v.
  • Mcfly682Mcfly682 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    Hey Brian. Thanks for the tips. I will give them a try.