Options

Volleyball Team Poster

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited May 23, 2012 in Sports
My daughter played her last season under her rec league coach, and next year she'll be trying out for UIL school volleyball. Since the team has been together for five seasons, I wanted to do something special for him and the girls. He and his wife are good friends and put a lot of time teaching these girls volleyball. During their last practice, we agreed to do a different type of "team picture."

This is the end result:

i-7Sqmnkp-XL.jpg

I used an SB-600 on the left and a Vivitar on the right, both shooting into a reflecting umbrella on adjustable light stands. I got low (about 18 inches) and shot wide. I added a little grunge and a title, and I was done. Not the best poster ever made, but every parent lined up to pay for one at 20x30, so this was a nice, big poster for each girl's room. They couldn't stop telling me how cool it was and how it was so different than the normal team photo.

A fitting end to a great ride - the girls are very ready for vball tryouts next year.

Comments

• Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    Great memories
    I think you did a very nice job and as you say, great memories for the girls to hang in their room. I do similar work for my son's HS marching band.

Only a couple thoughts. I use a similar dual speedlight or sometimes monolights, although I don't use umbrellas for a group like this (mine are usually 50-70 kids though). The umbrella robs power for the sake of softening, and a bit harsher light might actually add to the grit here. I often use a 'bare bulb' light for the specular highlights. I always aim the light to the far side so the two flashes cross like an X. In your photo the blonde on the right is brighter than coach in center. With the X pattern it reduces bright spots a bit. Still hard to get even lighting and I think you did a very good job with a linear subject.

With an unlimited budget an overhead light from the rear would have made nice separation especially of the darker haired girls.

These are great times to remember and the girls will be more thankful in 20 years than they are today. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2012
    I think you did a very nice job and as you say, great memories for the girls to hang in their room. I do similar work for my son's HS marching band.

Only a couple thoughts. I use a similar dual speedlight or sometimes monolights, although I don't use umbrellas for a group like this (mine are usually 50-70 kids though). The umbrella robs power for the sake of softening, and a bit harsher light might actually add to the grit here. I often use a 'bare bulb' light for the specular highlights. I always aim the light to the far side so the two flashes cross like an X. In your photo the blonde on the right is brighter than coach in center. With the X pattern it reduces bright spots a bit. Still hard to get even lighting and I think you did a very good job with a linear subject.

With an unlimited budget an overhead light from the rear would have made nice separation especially of the darker haired girls.

These are great times to remember and the girls will be more thankful in 20 years than they are today. thumb.gif

Thanks for the comments - I agree with all of them. I adjusted the exposure of the coaches to make the lighting more even. I wanted to have another flash at the back to give some rim lighting, but didn't have time to go rent an extra flash and another trigger, unfortunately. The reason I used umbrellas is that the girls had already practiced a tiny bit, and the gym's A/C wasn't turned on, so everyone was already sweating and all of their faces were very shiny, so I added the umbrellas and fixed leftover shine in post. With boys, a sweaty, shiny face is good - but not so much with girls, you know?

The good news is that I just got contacted by a select boy's basketball coach who saw the poster and now they want T&I photos as well as a poster like this. So, I'll be able to grab another flash and trigger and go bare for a more specular look! I'll post that shot too after I'm done.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    Winner!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    LubinskiLubinski Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    How long was this shoot? Nice shot and I love the 'off the beaten path' style. Somethings bothering me about the title though, Is it cooked (slants down and to the right?)
    ~Lubinski
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2012
    :D
    Lubinski wrote: »
    How long was this shoot? Nice shot and I love the 'off the beaten path' style. Somethings bothering me about the title though, Is it cooked (slants down and to the right?)

The actual time it took to do this particular shoot was about 40 minutes, including set-up. I took about 15 images, adjusting lights and poses appropriately. It's not easy to get 11 pre-teens to stop talking and pose for the camera... :D

The title may look tilted, but it's actually the top of the volleyball net that might be throwing you off because it was lower on the left side. I saw this too, so I raised the left side of the net in PS to more closely match the height of the net on the right. Maybe I need to nudge the left side a little more - I'll take a closer look inside PS. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    Nice work. . . I too like the unorthadox style.

Don't be surprised if you get asked to put together a "photobook" also.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012