Close Shave

lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited May 22, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• JavierJavier Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2012
    Nicely done. Love the reflection and tones most of all.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    Javier wrote: »
    Nicely done. Love the reflection and tones most of all.

Thank you! Javier for your comments . I am not sure about the motion blur of the razor, I wanted to freeze the motion ,but I forgot to crank up my iso, to achieve a faster shutter speed.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    Always hated that point in a shave where the barber grabs your nose. Haven't had that experience since I was in Thailand in 1964. Interesting to see it from a distance. Really good technique, Mole. Love the mid-tones, but I think I'd have lifted the barber's face just a bit.
    edited May 21, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Always hated that point in a shave where the barber grabs your nose. Haven't had that experience since I was in Thailand in 1964. Interesting to see it from a distance. Really good technique, Mole. Love the mid-tones, but I think I'd have lifted the barber's face just a bit.

Thank you! for the comments Russ ! I shot multiple frames per second,on continuous mode,but the man was concentrating on the task at hand, I think he would of had to stop what he was doing to maybe chat the man up or something ,in order for that to happen,if I understand you correctly?
    edited May 21, 2012
    No, I'm talking about raising the tone a bit on the barber's face in post-processing. Just a tad. I wouldn't overdo it.
    edited May 21, 2012
    No, I'm talking about raising the tone a bit on the barber's face in post-processing. Just a tad. I wouldn't overdo it.

O/K he had a tan, do you mean to dodge it a tad ?
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    Closer, closer, closer. And it's not the shave I'm talking about. :-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited May 21, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Closer, closer, closer. And it's not the shave I'm talking about. :-)

I will have to do better, because I upgraded to a faster 35mm lens from my old one, after this shot. I seem to be committed to it now.

Thanks ! thumb.gif
    edited May 22, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    O/K he had a tan, do you mean to dodge it a tad ?

Yes, I'd do a bit of very, very gentle dodging on the front of his face so his features are a little bit more visible. It's a small point, Mole.
    edited May 22, 2012
    Yes, I'd do a bit of very, very gentle dodging on the front of his face so his features are a little bit more visible. It's a small point, Mole.

I do appreciate you pointing out these details . Thanks Russ for taking the time. thumb.gif
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    I like the depth of subject matter, it certainly has the viewer dwell a while.

The shot works for me, but I agree with bd; not closer but maybe trim some fat in the foreground

Nice work Mole
    Rags
    edited May 22, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    I like the depth of subject matter, it certainly has the viewer dwell a while.

The shot works for me, but I agree with bd; not closer but maybe trim some fat in the foreground

Nice work Mole

Hey many thanks Rags ! I am liking your idea , Good thinking !
    edited May 22, 2012
    Hey, guys, there's nothing wrong with the composition. If you crop the right side of the picture you lose too much context -- the people in the background waiting their turn, the guy working in the next chair, etc. If you crop the bottom of the picture you lose the classic checkerboard floor and the details of the chair. Mole framed it just fine.
    edited May 22, 2012
    Rework
    Russ is right, I don't want to loose the checkered floor, so I only lightened up the barbers face.

i-8JPg67F-L.jpg
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2012
    Nice! I really like the depth... thumb.gif
    Rags