Options

Officially discontinued Canon items

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited June 1, 2012 in Cameras
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/official-discontinued-list/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+canonrumors%2Frss+%28Canon+Rumors%29&utm_content=FaceBook

How long does Canon continue to support discontinued models? I'm thinking things like the 24-70I and the 580exII are such staples of the pro market now that they'll continue to work on them for a while yet, yes?! ~hopeful look~

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited May 21, 2012
    Canon is pretty good about supporting their discontinued items. Typical support is at least 7 years, but they often support items until they no longer have replacement parts inventory.

The only lens I know for sure is no longer supported is my EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM. That lens dates back to 1989 and was replaced by the 28-70mmL in 1993. Support stopped for the 28-80L around 5 years ago, so it was supported for around 14 years after production stopped.

I can still find third-party repairs for the 28-80L, so all is not lost. I intend to use that lens until it dies.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    The 28-80 L looks nice. I bet the rubber ring has worn off over the years, has it?

I got another lens from 1989 here, which isn't supported anymore: a Canon EF 50mm f/1.0 L USM.
    I really hope it will last me a couple of years before it dies of age (or its focus by wire), it's awesome.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited May 25, 2012
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    The 28-80 L looks nice. I bet the rubber ring has worn off over the years, has it?

Cosmetically and optically my copy is in very good+ to -excellent condition. It's an unusual lens in that it uses an electronically coupled (fly by wire) manual focus mechanism, which allows full-time manual focus override in AF mode (countering the Micro-Motor USM drive).
    Manfr3d wrote: »
    ... I got another lens from 1989 here, which isn't supported anymore: a Canon EF 50mm f/1.0 L USM.
    I really hope it will last me a couple of years before it dies of age (or its focus by wire), it's awesome.

That is a truly lovely lens. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    I wouldn't worry too much, like Ziggy said Canon supports discontinued items for a long time.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Canon is pretty good about supporting their discontinued items. Typical support is at least 7 years, but they often support items until they no longer have replacement parts inventory.

The only lens I know for sure is no longer supported is my EF 28-80mm, f2.8-f4L USM. That lens dates back to 1989 and was replaced by the 28-70mmL in 1993. Support stopped for the 28-80L around 5 years ago, so it was supported for around 14 years after production stopped.

I can still find third-party repairs for the 28-80L, so all is not lost. I intend to use that lens until it dies.

The 200/1.8 is no longer serviced either. So if you own one, and it breaks.. you had better have a backup copy! I love that damn lens, but they still sell for $4500 even though there aren't parts available for it anymore... Yikes!