Options

The 5D2 and ballet

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited June 13, 2012 in People
Good Morning Folks,
I shot a few pics of my daughter's 18th ballet recital this past Sunday using my 5D2 and 70-200 4.0. I miss my 70-200 2.8 that I sold a couple of years ago :cry All the shots were taken at 6400 or 12800 iso. Here's a few shots that are pretty much typical of the night. Ballet is not the easiest subject to photograph, especially with all the different lighting and quick moves of the dancers. I think the 5D2 held it's own in the high iso department, as well as, not having any focus issues at all. Thanks for looking :thumb
Have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    edited May 23, 2012
    The 5D2 and ballet
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2012
    The 5D2 and ballet
    #3...
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2012
    The 5D2 and ballet
    Yeah, I really miss my 70-200 2.8...
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2012
    The 5D2 and ballet
    Good Evening Folks,
    Does anyone have high iso shots from a 5D3 for comparison ? I've seen a few taken at 1250 and 1600, but quite frankly, if I spent $3500 on a new camera and that's the best I could do, then I wasted my money. Yeah, I know for some people it's more about the new af system, weather sealing, and even the ultimate (for now) video upgrade, but I'm still not convinced the 5D3 is worth 2x the money over a 5D2. I'm not bashing the 5D3 in anyway, but rather stating my opinion based on what I've seen on the I-net...
    Have a good night :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Well I can say personally after owning the MKII for over 3 years the MKIII easily only needs 1/2 to 1/4 the effort to capture the photos you see, depending on the situation, as long as you know how to take advantage of all the features. Each feature added together does make it a totally different camera all together. I find it amazing as a whole since I pretty much use every single new feature available on the camera and each one makes things simpler, quicker, and more streamlined to capture the vision I have in my head. There are plenty of 5DII vs 5DIII comparisons online already for ISO as well. The improvement is definitely there with RAW, but I wouldn't say its ground breaking. It retains micro detail and contrast better than the MKII so it improves crops a bit. The JPEG noise reduction is much more improved over the MKII. Its great if you want to save time avoiding noise processing on JPEGs on your computer. The color accuracy at high ISOs has changed dramatically though, especially apparent in videos.

If you just are concerned about ISO alone, it's probably not worth $3500. If the MKII does all you need, you might just want to buy another MKII :)

But, if you do want a MKIII, I think you'd be better off waiting for the price to go down. For me, though, I absolutely knew Id be able to take advantage of everything new offered on the camera, and I'm overjoyed that I bought it. Although, I only paid $3,170 instead of $3,740 after tax and got a free $500 gift card with that, too. I used a %10 off coupon at Best Buy which I bought for $4 on Ebay, and took advantage of 2 cash back credit card signup bonuses.

http://www.canonwatch.com/video-high-iso-comparison-5d3-vs-5d2-and-more-about-5d3s-high-iso-settings/

http://www.gearthuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/5D3-vs-5D2-Real-World-ISO-Tests-Twin-Cities-Night-Time-ISO-6400-12800-and-25600-RAW-Comparison.jpg

The second link says less than 1 stop, but if you quickly swap images you'll see its 1-2 stops cleaner noise for micro detail, especially in the shadows.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    The 5D2 and ballet
    Well I can say personally after owning the MKII for over 3 years the MKIII easily only needs 1/2 to 1/4 the effort to capture the photos you see, depending on the situation, as long as you know how to take advantage of all the features. Each feature added together does make it a totally different camera all together. I find it amazing as a whole since I pretty much use every single new feature available on the camera and each one makes things simpler, quicker, and more streamlined to capture the vision I have in my head. There are plenty of 5DII vs 5DIII comparisons online already for ISO as well. The improvement is definitely there with RAW, but I wouldn't say its ground breaking. It retains micro detail and contrast better than the MKII so it improves crops a bit. The JPEG noise reduction is much more improved over the MKII. Its great if you want to save time avoiding noise processing on JPEGs on your computer. The color accuracy at high ISOs has changed dramatically though, especially apparent in videos.

If you just are concerned about ISO alone, it's probably not worth $3500. If the MKII does all you need, you might just want to buy another MKII :)

But, if you do want a MKIII, I think you'd be better off waiting for the price to go down. For me, though, I absolutely knew Id be able to take advantage of everything new offered on the camera, and I'm overjoyed that I bought it. Although, I only paid $3,170 instead of $3,740 after tax and got a free $500 gift card with that, too. I used a %10 off coupon at Best Buy which I bought for $4 on Ebay, and took advantage of 2 cash back credit card signup bonuses.

http://www.canonwatch.com/video-high-iso-comparison-5d3-vs-5d2-and-more-about-5d3s-high-iso-settings/

http://www.gearthuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/5D3-vs-5D2-Real-World-ISO-Tests-Twin-Cities-Night-Time-ISO-6400-12800-and-25600-RAW-Comparison.jpg

The second link says less than 1 stop, but if you quickly swap images you'll see its 1-2 stops cleaner noise for micro detail, especially in the shadows.

Good Evening,
    It's nice to know that using the 5D3 is easier (for you) then using your 5D2 thumb.gif Personally, I didn't notice a difference when I stepped up from the 40D to the 5D to the 5D2, but I guess some people take notice of how they use their equipment. I was mainly interested in looking at high iso's, from 6400 and up. I know some people complained about the af on the 5D2, but I've never experienced any real focusing issues, and I've taken quite a few shots in tunnels and other dark places that were illuminated with nothing more then a miner's light on a hard hat. I did have high iso issues with my (refurb) camera. The pics were really noisy upwards of iso 4000. I knew something wasn't right, so I returned it to Canon since it was (is) under warranty. I couldn't believe the difference after I got it back. They made some type of electrical adjustment to the sensor. Big difference. I posted a couple of 25600 iso shots for comparison: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=221452 With those two issues out of the way, I've been more then happy with the 5D2. I'm not interested in the new weather sealing or the upgraded video since I own a 3 chip HD camcorder. You got a very good deal on your 5D3, but a refurbed 5D2 with the CLP is only $1407. With tax, it's still under $1500. To me I can't see that much of a difference to upgrade, but I know a lot of people want one for work. On the other hand, a lot of people just want one. Thanks for posting the links thumb.gif Very interesting.
    Jim...
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    The 5D2 and ballet
    One more at iso 12800. Yeah, I know I could have done much better with a 5D3 rolleyes1.gifSaving $1800 on a camera body kinda frees up some money for a 70-200 2.8 L (non IS), a 17-40 4.0 L and a few Little Caesars pizzas rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifThanks for looking thumb.gif
    Jim...