i-T9FtPW2-XL.jpg

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    Interesting title for these photos. I'm pulled in by all each photo offers. Think #'s 2 and 5 hold my interest the longest. I see the 'key' shows up in each photo :D
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Interesting title for these photos. I'm pulled in by all each photo offers. Think #'s 2 and 5 hold my interest the longest. I see the 'key' shows up in each photo :D

Appreciate your comments Mary, thank you!

The title got there in a round about way. These photos came into existence as a possible solution to an assignment at uni - how to get 20 good (enough) images on a single theme in 10 days! I looked at my desk and thought "Why not"? Also I had been carrying in the forefront of my photographer's brain the work of the Japanese Daido Moriyama that I had recently seen on the ASX website. If you know his images you will know how the way he processed the film gave them a high contrast extremely gritty tactileness (in b&w). Not a small proportion of his subjects are things to hand. So I set out to produce images with very ordinary subjects whose main reason for being was their sensuousness-tactileness, ie colour, contrast, grittiness. Characteristic Moriyama images also have a very dominating dark vignette. Emulating all those "Moriyama" things in my images gave them a nocturnal feel, personal things looked at in the light of an intruder's torch. I looked up the word for night burglar in Japanese (yatou) and made that the title, but of course it could be understood properly only with the information I have just given you - the Japanese connection, and the style of processing being the subject matter (as it typically is for Moriyama). I settled therefore on the present title.

The key is just to "irritate" the viewer's eye, a visual tic, perhaps to add to the "instrusion" ambiance, to cause an ambivalence, since keys to a burglar are a fetish, what he/she fantasises finding, and keys are what we withhold in order to keep what is private private.

Neil

• Options
    edited May 24, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Appreciate your comments Mary, thank you!

The title got there in a round about way. These photos came into existence as a possible solution to an assignment at uni - how to get 20 good (enough) images on a single theme in 10 days! I looked at my desk and thought "Why not"? Also I had been carrying in the forefront of my photographer's brain the work of the Japanese Daido Moriyama that I had recently seen on the ASX website. If you know his images you will know how the way he processed the film gave them a high contrast extremely gritty tactileness (in b&w). Not a small proportion of his subjects are things to hand. So I set out to produce images with very ordinary subjects whose main reason for being was their sensuousness-tactileness, ie colour, contrast, grittiness. Characteristic Moriyama images also have a very dominating dark vignette. Emulating all those "Moriyama" things in my images gave them a nocturnal feel, personal things looked at in the light of an intruder's torch. I looked up the word for night burglar in Japanese (yatou) and made that the title, but of course it could be understood properly only with the information I have just given you - the Japanese connection, and the style of processing being the subject matter (as it typically is for Moriyama). I settled therefore on the present title.

The key is just to "irritate" the viewer's eye, a visual tic, perhaps to add to the "instrusion" ambiance, to cause an ambivalence, since keys to a burglar are a fetish, what he/she fantasises finding, and keys are what we withhold in order to keep what is private private.

Neil

I've never seen the work of Daido Moriyama. I had to google him to check out his work. Interesting way in which he shoots or perceives what's around him. I see now what you had in mind and think you accomplished it beautifully.

As for the title you were thinking of using .. 'Yatou' ... I think it's a good title. And properly fits for this series of shots.

Great effort and job well done Neil. I look forward to seeing more of your creations :D
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2012
    I've never seen the work of Daido Moriyama. I had to google him to check out his work. Interesting way in which he shoots or perceives what's around him. I see now what you had in mind and think you accomplished it beautifully.

As for the title you were thinking of using .. 'Yatou' ... I think it's a good title. And properly fits for this series of shots.

Great effort and job well done Neil. I look forward to seeing more of your creations :D

Thanks for the encouragement Mary! Glad you got acquainted with Daido. There's so much out there these days to try to keep in touch of, but everything you see is a little push or a little nudge.:D

Neil

• Options
    edited May 24, 2012
    NeilL wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement Mary! Glad you got acquainted with Daido. There's so much out there these days to try to keep in touch of, but everything you see is a little push or a little nudge.:D

Neil

So true on the little push or little nudge. Just seeing what you did and then what Diado did .. well my mind has been churning all day :D
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2012
    So true on the little push or little nudge. Just seeing what you did and then what Diado did .. well my mind has been churning all day :D

:D

Neil

• Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    I tell you, Neil, you are easily the least predictable photographer on this forum. I'm never sure what your " attack angle " will be. I applaud you for your willingness to stretch out and explore new ideas and approaches.

I like these shots and I really appreciate the background comments that give insight into their creation. Very nice work.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2012
    ... the least predictable...

haha!! maybe Tom, but I still feel painfully like a newbie, it's like a never-ending being 13yo!!

Neil