Addiction

lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited May 24, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    You have really captured his complete narrowing of focus to get that puff going into his body. After pondering, I would consider cropping the woman on the left as she really only distracts, not add any to the shot.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    There are three elements in the shot that keep it from being something to never show. The woman, the no smoking sign and, of course, the dude himself. The proximity to the woman is an element of his desperation and detachment as well as the public nature of the addiction. The "No Smoking" sign the juxtaposition. And well, there's him.

Still I don't think this image serves much of a purpose or interest unless, as the saying goes, it's part of a studied series.

(Just to add, it's a pretty big assumption that this is drug use. The title is playing on preconceptions that might not be justified.)
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    There are three elements in the shot that keep it from being something to never show. The woman, the no smoking sign and, of course, the dude himself. The proximity to the woman is an element of his desperation and detachment as well as the public nature of the addiction. The "No Smoking" sign the juxtaposition. And well, there's him.

Still I don't think this image serves much of a purpose or interest unless, as the saying goes, it's part of a studied series.

(Just to add, it's a pretty big assumption that this is drug use. The title is playing on preconceptions that might not be justified.)

Are you suggesting that this dude is a social drug user, and not an addict. The image depicts the elements - it is clear what this person is doing. Can you tell me why it would be better in a series?
    edited May 24, 2012
    I was suggesting that it might not be drugs. Yes, I know. It sure as heck looks like the person is in the middle of taking a hit off a rock. But referring to it as addiction sets a social context and assumption that would be better supported with a series of images, either of that street or of other addicts using in blatant public settings. The image as a standalone shot sorta falls in the "No Bums" category for me. Just my thoughts.
    edited May 24, 2012
    I was suggesting that it might not be drugs. Yes, I know. It sure as heck looks like the person is in the middle of taking a hit off a rock. But referring to it as addiction sets a social context and assumption that would be better supported with a series of images, either of that street or of other addicts using in blatant public settings. The image as a standalone shot sorta falls in the "No Bums" category for me. Just my thoughts.

Sadly this type of scene is a common one around this location, pretty much 24/7 , but taking a shot like this can get a photographers camera busted into pieces,a broken nose,and maybe even a face lift all at the same time, it is much more difficult than photographing Bums .It is possible to get other shots but they would have to be more of a posed program. I do appreciate the points you have made, I always find your comments to be insightful and helpful. Thank you!
    edited May 24, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »
    You have really captured his complete narrowing of focus to get that puff going into his body. After pondering, I would consider cropping the woman on the left as she really only distracts, not add any to the shot.

Thank you ! Rainbow you always seem to provide an intuitive vision ,much appreciated.
    edited May 24, 2012
    I wasn't meaning to suggest taking shots of drug use on the streets was easy or safe, but rather that as images there is more needed than just the act to make them interesting. I wish I could remember the name of the photographer. He spent something around a year or more engaging and building trust within a specific drug ghetto, shooting the people and their environs throughout. It was a power portrait of the costs of addiction and the lives it affected.
    edited May 24, 2012
    I wasn't meaning to suggest taking shots of drug use on the streets was easy or safe, but rather that as images there is more needed than just the act to make them interesting. I wish I could remember the name of the photographer. He spent something around a year or more engaging and building trust within a specific drug ghetto, shooting the people and their environs throughout. It was a power portrait of the costs of addiction and the lives it affected.

Thanks! this is good knowledge, I have been studying different people on the streets by taking pictures and sometimes talking to them mainly because I am curious about their survival skills.
    edited May 24, 2012
    It's good that you're talking to the people on the street. Documentary allows and often benefits from engaging the community, if not the actual subject when working. There's also no need to be objective so much as honest and open in your treatment. Developing a point of view is part of telling a story.
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2012
    rainbow wrote: »

Much as I hate to be a party to a crop, I'm with Dave on both counts. It's a very good picture as it stands, but the woman, instead of adding WTF, simply distracts attention from the main point. Good shooting, Mole.
    edited May 24, 2012
    RSL wrote: »
    Much as I hate to be a party to a crop, I'm with Dave on both counts. It's a very good picture as it stands, but the woman, instead of adding WTF, simply distracts attention from the main point. Good shooting, Mole.

Where's the crop, what's the story? How does the example work. I'm all for single image doco.
    edited May 24, 2012
    I agree with mitchswiss, the shop keeper should stay it gives context, and does establish a point, being the dudes desperation .