Muster on the Wabash Fort Knox II 1812

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
edited November 9, 2005 in People
I spent a few hours Sunday afternoon at the Muster on the Wabash, held at the site of historic Fort Knox II. Fort Knox II was commanded by Capt Zachary Taylor in 1810, and then later visited by Tecumseh. Governor William Henry Harrison mustered his troops here before the Battle of Tippecanoe, which ended the threat of an Indian uprising in the Indiana Territory. The Muster was a re-enactment of the US and British Regulars, as well as woodland Indians, and French and American citizens.

The site was lovely in the woods, with the river just below this tree covered bluff.

43758603-L.jpg

The site is currently maintained by the DNR and the Div of State Museum and Historic Sites, so there is a nice plaque.

43414183-L.jpg

There were vendors and craftsmen there
43407729-L.jpg

There were artillery batteries at the ready in case of Indian atack
43420597-L.jpg

Governor William Henry Harrison spoke to the Indians and the citizens
43757638-L.jpg

At one point I think he fell asleep, waiting for Tecuseh
43760139-L.jpg

Tecuseh did arrive, and he was unhappy with the negotiations - he brought his warriors also
43757014-L.jpg

43420938-L.jpg

43413342-L.jpg

The woodland Indians frequently fought on the British side against the American settlers. Here is an Indian wearing a Red coat - was it given, stolen, or taken in battle perhaps?

43761524-L.jpg

There were settlers and militia there also
43410122-L.jpg

43408420-L.jpg

It was a pleasant afterrnoon and educational. I met many re-enactors of the 1812 war. I did not realize the interest in the US part of the Napoleonic Wars there is active in Indiana. A large battle site was at Mississinewa and there is a large amount of web sites about it http://www.warof1812.ca/mississa.htm

http://www.mississinewa1812.com/

43758926-L.jpg

Comments, critiques, welcomed.
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Very cool shots, looks like a great place to visit.

My Favorite....

43420938-S.jpg
  • KevinKalKevinKal Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Excellent
    Hello Pathfinder,

What a fascinating experience, thank you for sharing. I really love the composition of several of your shots, particularly the one of the governor holding his timepiece. Excellent colors and lovely light as well. Would you mind sharing which lens(es) you employed?

Cheers,
    Kevin K.
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Agree
    My Favorite....

43420938-S.jpg[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the Last of the Mohicans(spelling?) Mereimage
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 9, 2005
    KevinKal wrote:
    Hello Pathfinder,

What a fascinating experience, thank you for sharing. I really love the composition of several of your shots, particularly the one of the governor holding his timepiece. Excellent colors and lovely light as well. Would you mind sharing which lens(es) you employed?

Cheers,
    Kevin K.
    These were shot with a 24-70 or 70-200 on a 1DMkll. You can find the exif in my gallery here - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/946233

The shots with the shallower DOF were obviously with the long end of the 70-200.

The light varied from cloudy overcast to late afternoon sunlight. It varied from harsh to quite soft. Some of my shots could have benefited from fill flash, but fill flash and true candids are a bit at odds sometimes. Thanks for your interest.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2005
    Thank you very much!
    Very interesting! And lovely colors!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"