Macro Setup - Questions I Have.

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 25, 2012 in Holy Macro
I'm looking to finally buy a macro setup. I've wanted to for quite some time but a macro lens always seemed to fall lower on the wish list of lenses whenever I was in the market for a new. I finally have all the other lenses I wanted so I'm ready to jump on a macro.

First of all, I shoot a Nikon D700. I am imagine primarily shooting bugs, flowers, dew drops... those kind of things. Stuff I can readily find in my backyard but also during my travels.

I'm considering the 105mm Sigma. After comparing it to the Nikon VR, I just don't see the justification in price. Image quality seems on par and from what I have gathered, VR is not really useful when shooting macro. Hence, no need to spend the extra $300-400.

So first question is if the 105mm for length is ideal? Should I go longer, maybe the Sigma 150mm? What am I gaining/losing with either?

In addition to the lens, I am probably going to buy a set of extension tubes. Kenko seems to be the most bang for you buck. Is this correct? Do I even need them? I think I do.

Fortunately, I do a lot of portrait work so I have plenty of lighting. I will probably use an SB-600 flash for this setup. What type of bracket do you guys recommend? I see many of you guys make DIY snoots /diffusers for your flash. Any DIY threads or info you can point to for construction?

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance guys.

Alex
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    The 105mm focal length should be fine - I normally recommend around 100mm as the best all round length for a macro lens.
    Compared to the 150 you would losing some working distance at minimum focus and the bokeh would not be as nice but you are gaining the ability to easily handhold the system and also flash diffusion works better with shorter lenses.

Re- brackets- you can usefully modify an L bracket if it has a flange on the top of the handle you can fut a smallish ballhead to or perhaps get a hakuba LH-1 ballhead bracket (Ebay) but you would probably still need to replace the ballhead with a stirgier one with a male 1/4" fitting rather than a flash fitting (so you can screw it in the base of the off camera cord or flash if wireless)

You can get an idea of the bracket in the pic below.

Idea for DIY diffuser here http://www.flickr.com/groups/macroviewers/discuss/72157594312315664/

Re extension tubes - you may not need them immediately as you need to learn to shoot at 1:1 magnification first but they are extremely useful allowing you to go to 2:1 magnification. Kenkos are good but you can get cheaper generic auto extension tubes.
    Brian v.

154297457_9cd653c7ec_o.jpg
    Macro setup with new lens #1 by Lord V, on Flickr