Just curious about your photography viewpoint

trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited June 7, 2012 in People
Hello folks...I noticed many here strive for people photographic perfection (perfect subjects, technical aspects, and composition). For people photography (which is my subject 99% of the time), I tend to land at 3/4 of the way on the perfection spectrum. Btw, my clients are normal everyday people. I don't shoot commercially.

Where do you land at?

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    If your taking portraits and charging for it aren't you shooting commercially. Not sure I understand your point?
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    Commercially meaning print ads, magazine and the like. Sorry for the confusion.
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    If your taking portraits and charging for it aren't you shooting commercially. Not sure I understand your point?

I do believe there is a difference between shooting commercially and shooting professionally.
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    perfection?
    I think I understand the question, and yes a pro shooting a model for a full page spread Cover Girl ad may be a bit more of a 'perfectionist' than someone shooting a high school senior, but that to me that is almost as different as a photojournalist and a nature photog. The client and the viewing public are looking for different things when they view the picture. I am not sure 'perfectionist' is the right word really when you boil it down.

As to the underlying theme of "perfection", I do think that is what we all should strive for when accurately applied to the genre or subject matter. I really enjoy seeing a great picture here (or posting one) and then one of the more accomplished folks says--in a positive way--that it might be improved with the strand of hair cloned out, etc. Then I take a new look and think they are absolutely right, why didn't I see that? There are a lot of factors to success in the portrait business and different paths to get there, but all of the top people in your hometown or nationally are probably "perfectionists" in their own genre. The skin or lighting may not look like the Cover Girl ad, but it better be correct for the subject and not have distractions, errors, stray hairs, etc. to be really top quality work. Often those details are what separates a good shot from a great one, and usually in a "I don't know what it is, this one just looks more professionall" kind of way.

Those details are not nit picking, and saying to oneself "they are just a perfectionist" is an excuse to do less than one's best. Yes, the client might have been extremely happy (and they should be) but if you learn and gain a critical eye to make the slight improvements your photography improves and that is what Dgrin is all about. When I first started perusing this site I assumed it was a bunch of amateurs like me sharing average to good pics, but when I saw the shots and the excellent critique I became a fan.

I am definitely not a perfectionist and just an amateur still after 30 years, but every time I shoot a portrait I look for what I could improve next time. Doesn't mean the shot was a cull, just means I want to constantly improve. Never tell yourself "its good enough" or a critic "is being a perfectionist", learn and grow. Seeing critiques here has pushed me out of a rut of very nice work that friends/clients really liked, to wanting to take it up a notch.
    edited May 26, 2012
    Did anyone watch the Preakness in Baltimore last week. The purse prize is amazingly different between first and second place. Yet the first place horse only won by a neck length. Was that really enough to make the purse such a substancial difference? It's the little bit of difference that separates the pros from the wannabes.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Strive for technical excellence at all times, while understanding and accepting that sometimes content trumps "perfect" technique. Whether that is acceptable or not is usually dictated by context.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    I will give my viewpoint as it relates to photographing children as it's the only area I consider myself to be above average.

Technical aspects are nice, but a great expression trumps all.
  • dharmaboydharmaboy Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2012
    I may not be understanding the question, but I strive to be as technically proficient as I can be when I shoot (especially because I'm a newbie to photography and still learning), but I also believe it is relative to your creative vision. Artistically speaking, I don't always want perfect, but I also believe it takes skill to pull off an imperfectly perfect image if that makes sense.
    edited May 27, 2012
    It's all about ESP......expression sells portraits!
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Strive for technical excellence at all times, while understanding and accepting that sometimes content trumps "perfect" technique. Whether that is acceptable or not is usually dictated by context.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

I'll also say, that there really is no reason not to be striving for perfection in photography if you love it.
  • Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    Just to illustrate the point of content trumping technique sometimes, I was shooting a rollerderby bout last weekend & I got a shot of this collision (shot 1) and one of the later shots in the suquence (#2) is by all technical regards a lousy photo. It's out of focus, the action has already happened, I framed it too loose and cropped a bunch, normally it would head straight for the recycle bin. But one of the girls on the team had this funny reaction in the background (she was injured and couldn't actually skate). I decided to post it anyways purely for her reaction. It ended up getting more likes and comments than literally any other photo. Everyone loved it.

th_GSR-bruisers-susquehanna-145.jpg

th_GSR-bruisers-susquehanna-146.jpg

Edit: Of course, this is where the context of the situation becomes a factor. Both of these photos I think are wholly inadequate to say, be on the cover of sports illustrated: roller derby edition (if that issue ever happens).
    edited May 31, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    I'll also say, that there really is no reason not to be striving for perfection in photography if you love it.

True...for me, I have a self imposed post-shoot workflow time limit and I make a conscious effort to make images not 'too perfect'.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    troopers wrote: »
    True...for me, I have a self imposed post-shoot workflow time limit and I make a conscious effort to make images not 'too perfect'.

I think the things we look for in "perfection" vary from photographer to photographer, and experience level to experience level. So, to be honest, I would not stop working on an image in post processing until I felt it was relatively close to the best it could be, but I'm not looking for the same things a landscape photographer is...something I have no familiarity with at all.
    edited May 31, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Agree with this wholeheartedly.

If your creating images for the love of it and strictly for yourself not striving for the best is ok. However some will want to start charging for their images and at that point we have an obligation to create the best possible image we can for the client.
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    Hello folks...I noticed many here strive for people photographic perfection (perfect subjects, technical aspects, and composition). For people photography (which is my subject 99% of the time), I tend to land at 3/4 of the way on the perfection spectrum. Btw, my clients are normal everyday people. I don't shoot commercially.

Where do you land at?

A bit of a side point, 3/4 is 75% which in an academic setting is a middle "C".

Would you knowingly go to a doctor who graduated med school with "C's"?

So why would you get your portraits done by a photographer who professes to produce "C" work?

Just a question for the universe...
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
    edited June 1, 2012
    What do you call a person who finishes last in his medical class....................................Doctor. Laughing.gif.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    What do you call a person who finishes last in his medical class....................................Doctor. Laughing.gif.

Probably an ........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ......................................................................................
    unemployable Doctor. :Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited June 4, 2012
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    A bit of a side point, 3/4 is 75% which in an academic setting is a middle "C".

Would you knowingly go to a doctor who graduated med school with "C's"?

So why would you get your portraits done by a photographer who professes to produce "C" work?

Just a question for the universe...

Poor analogy, but I think I get your trying to say.

I strive for just shy of perfection but work within self-imposed "rules".
    edited June 4, 2012
    However some will want to start charging for their images and at that point we have an obligation to create the best possible image we can for the client.

Say you charge $200 for an ~1 hour on-site portrait session. How much effort pre and post shoot are you providing to fulfill your "obligation to create the best possible image"? Do you have an assistant? How much gear do you bring?
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    Say you charge $200 for an ~1 hour on-site portrait session. How much effort pre and post shoot are you providing to fulfill your "obligation to create the best possible image"? Do you have an assistant? How much gear do you bring?

Troopers, as I read through your responses, I feel like you have a very defined personal cost per hour for your own services and don't want to put in time/effort beyond that. Given that photography is an artistic pursuit, I personally don't think it can be entirely reduced to cost per hour, but that's just me; I know many photographers feel as you do.

If that's the case, however, then I think you have an obligation to be MORE "technically perfect" getting your images right in camera. Less post-processing time and just a case of upload and done. (For somebody who seems to nail this, check out Josh Martinez's images in the 5d3 threads - breathtaking SOOC images. And, while the new camera may be making his life easier with some new technologies and tools, I have NO DOUBT AT ALL that he could achieve the same results with any camera. Dude can SHOOT.)

Btw, I'd say that gear and assistants are "overhead" - a necessary part of the job, and if you have a strictly defined bottom line, then you have to factor them into your pricing just like you would gas/travel/overnight stays.

Technical excellence is having the skills to know what to do, and the ability to use them under pressure, no matter what the conditions. I'd venture to suggest that any top photographer could deliver good images regardless of what they were shooting with, and how many assistants were there to make the job easier. They have the eye, the skillset and the "grace under fire" to be able to deliver. If that's what "perfect" means, then yeah - keep working towards it. We all should be.

If by "perfect" you mean spending hours on post-processing and re-inventing every nose hair and tree, then I think that's something else again - it's a kind of photography that's more closely-related to "fine art", and would have a different set of parameters as far as time involved than a typical portrait session or even commercial shoot (high-end commercial shoots send the retouching out. And the client pays for the privilege ;) ). I'm willing to guess that a lot of photographers do that kind of lots-of-extra-work-because-it's-art shooting/processing for themselves rather than a client, too, and therefore don't really care how long it takes them to tinker with it.
    edited June 4, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Troopers, as I read through your responses, I feel like you have a very defined personal cost per hour for your own services and don't want to put in time/effort beyond that. Given that photography is an artistic pursuit, I personally don't think it can be entirely reduced to cost per hour, but that's just me; I know many photographers feel as you do.

If that's the case, however, then I think you have an obligation to be MORE "technically perfect" getting your images right in camera. Less post-processing time and just a case of upload and done. (For somebody who seems to nail this, check out Josh Martinez's images in the 5d3 threads - breathtaking SOOC images. And, while the new camera may be making his life easier with some new technologies and tools, I have NO DOUBT AT ALL that he could achieve the same results with any camera. Dude can SHOOT.)

Btw, I'd say that gear and assistants are "overhead" - a necessary part of the job, and if you have a strictly defined bottom line, then you have to factor them into your pricing just like you would gas/travel/overnight stays.

Technical excellence is having the skills to know what to do, and the ability to use them under pressure, no matter what the conditions. I'd venture to suggest that any top photographer could deliver good images regardless of what they were shooting with, and how many assistants were there to make the job easier. They have the eye, the skillset and the "grace under fire" to be able to deliver. If that's what "perfect" means, then yeah - keep working towards it. We all should be.

If by "perfect" you mean spending hours on post-processing and re-inventing every nose hair and tree, then I think that's something else again - it's a kind of photography that's more closely-related to "fine art", and would have a different set of parameters as far as time involved than a typical portrait session or even commercial shoot (high-end commercial shoots send the retouching out. And the client pays for the privilege ;) ). I'm willing to guess that a lot of photographers do that kind of lots-of-extra-work-because-it's-art shooting/processing for themselves rather than a client, too, and therefore don't really care how long it takes them to tinker with it.

When I first started, I sucked and perfection was the goal...nothing was out of place, not a single strand of hair, lighting was ideal, etc. I spent hours, up to 3 or 4 times photo session length, pre and post shoot to achieve the perfect image. Then two things happened: 1. per some clients, my images were 'too perfect', meaning the images felt staged, artificial, lacking emotion/soul, etc. and 2. it started to get no fun. Soon, I realized that caputuring one's slight imperfect nature is what makes an image perfect. Nowadays, I don't work with an assistant, only bring gear that I can with one trip, and limit computer time equal to the session time, which includes dowloading, PP, uploading, etc.

I do try to get everything right in the camera...there's really no reason why any photographer shouldn't be doing that.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    I have been reading this off and on. My first question is do you have a website? It would be nice to SEE what your definition of 3/4 of perfection is.

Also please note I can't really figure out what your question is or what your hoping to get in responses.

I am also not sure how you can maintain any strict post processing time limit. Getting it right in camera is of course a good thing, but what happens when you miss? What if in order to deliver an acceptable product to your client it's necessary to spend two or three times your arbitrary self imposed time limit on post processing?

Sam
    edited June 4, 2012
    Not to hijack a thread but I'm glad to see this at times is headed to cost for time. Too many beginners and you would be susprised how many full timers don't realize the cost per hour. In reality we all have customers that will buy a couple of 8x10's and a few 5x7's and that is it. You got your site ready either studio or home....... .5 hr. Shot for at least and hour...... now 1.5 Processed for at least and hour....... now 2.5 Sales session goes an hour.... now 3.5 hrs processing, pkg and delivery .5 now 4hrs. You have an order in front of you for about $60 from what I can tell from prices I see here. If you used a pro lab subtract about 10 for prints and another 5 for mounting a spraying. Profit is $45.......now devide by 4hours you've got roughly $11.25 per hour. Oh, I forgot clean up of your area, utilities, taxes (I hope your not asking what that is), equipment, internet, insurances, future equip purchases, retirement, kids education..........what have you got left of that $45? And sooooooooo many are just tickled with that $45. Oh yes, your spouse (both male and female) makes over $125,000 so I don't have to worry about what I make....sheeeeesh.
    edited June 4, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    I have been reading this off and on. My first question is do you have a website? It would be nice to SEE what your definition of 3/4 of perfection is.

Also please note I can't really figure out what your question is or what your hoping to get in responses.

I am also not sure how you can maintain any strict post processing time limit. Getting it right in camera is of course a good thing, but what happens when you miss? What if in order to deliver an acceptable product to your client it's necessary to spend two or three times your arbitrary self imposed time limit on post processing?

Sam

My website is under renovation (I screwed up trying to customize my storefront here on smugmug...going with a smugmug certified customizier). You can check out my recently lauched FB page here (finally decided to get with the social media scene).

I'm just curious to see where other smuggers are on the perfection spectrum. To be specific, I'll ask you the same question...Say you charge $200 for an ~1 hour on-site portrait session. How much effort pre and post shoot are you providing to fulfill your "obligation to create the best possible image"? Do you have an assistant? How much gear do you bring?

Obviously, if I missed every shot on the shoot, then I'm doomed. But fortunately, I haven't. If I miss a shot or two, there's been a shot or two that nails.

At the end, I'm pleased if my clients are happy with the images.
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    You are sooooo spot on Charles.

As a photographer you have basically two things you are selling. Time and talent. Streamlining your workflow process to provide a quality product in a reasonable amount of time is what makes the difference between making a profit or not.

Running a photography business is just that, a business. The time spent behind the camera is just a small part of what is involved in running a successful business.

The business model I have worked out shows that in order to earn 50,000.00 per year on photography services, I need to do about 80,000.00 per year in sales. To use your fictional 45.00 customer, I would need to photograph 1778 customers in a year to produce 80,000.00 in sales. Now, as you suggest, if it takes me 4 hours per customer to provide this product, I would have to work 136 hours a week (providing I take no vacation time) to attain my sales goals. However, if I can find a way to provide acceptable service for this fictional 45.00 customer in say a half an hour I can take two weeks off a year and still work on average 18 hours a week on the actual photography end of the business.

After digesting the above, does anyone want to re think the amount of time they spend in post processing?
    edited June 4, 2012
    Not to hijack a thread but I'm glad to see this at times is headed to cost for time. Too many beginners and you would be susprised how many full timers don't realize the cost per hour. In reality we all have customers that will buy a couple of 8x10's and a few 5x7's and that is it. You got your site ready either studio or home....... .5 hr. Shot for at least and hour...... now 1.5 Processed for at least and hour....... now 2.5 Sales session goes an hour.... now 3.5 hrs processing, pkg and delivery .5 now 4hrs. You have an order in front of you for about $60 from what I can tell from prices I see here. If you used a pro lab subtract about 10 for prints and another 5 for mounting a spraying. Profit is $45.......now devide by 4hours you've got roughly $11.25 per hour. Oh, I forgot clean up of your area, utilities, taxes (I hope your not asking what that is), equipment, internet, insurances, future equip purchases, retirement, kids education..........what have you got left of that $45? And sooooooooo many are just tickled with that $45. Oh yes, your spouse (both male and female) makes over $125,000 so I don't have to worry about what I make....sheeeeesh.

Probably best for another thread...but my business model is that my fee excludes prints, but includes full size digital images. Never thought it was fair when I was on the other side. If a client wants prints, it's my cost plus 10%.
    edited June 4, 2012
    There are pros who have gone to a per hour charge of $800 to $1200 per hr then charge only by the print cost to them..........some have also gone to per outfit charge with no session fee.......lets say $100 per outfit with only 6 shots per outfit then charge as always per print.
    edited June 4, 2012
    You are sooooo spot on Charles.

As a photographer you have basically two things you are selling. Time and talent. Streamlining your workflow process to provide a quality product in a reasonable amount of time is what makes the difference between making a profit or not.

Running a photography business is just that, a business. The time spent behind the camera is just a small part of what is involved in running a successful business.

The business model I have worked out shows that in order to earn 50,000.00 per year on photography services, I need to do about 80,000.00 per year in sales. To use your fictional 45.00 customer, I would need to photograph 1778 customers in a year to produce 80,000.00 in sales. Now, as you suggest, if it takes me 4 hours per customer to provide this product, I would have to work 136 hours a week (providing I take no vacation time) to attain my sales goals. However, if I can find a way to provide acceptable service for this fictional 45.00 customer in say a half an hour I can take two weeks off a year and still work on average 18 hours a week on the actual photography end of the business.

After digesting the above, does anyone want to re think the amount of time they spend in post processing?

I'm with you Bryce. Good thing this is my side gig.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012

I'm just curious to see where other smuggers are on the perfection spectrum. To be specific, I'll ask you the same question...Say you charge $200 for an ~1 hour on-site portrait session. How much effort pre and post shoot are you providing to fulfill your "obligation to create the best possible image"? Do you have an assistant? How much gear do you bring?

Basically I am a mission orientated guy. Once I understand what the client wants and we have agreed on price and terms. It is up to me to deliver. I don't normally take assistants but will if necessary. As far as gear is concerned, I take more than I need. Doesn't do any good in the closet.

The amount of time and effort to deliver has no restrictions whatsoever. It is up to me to develop an efficient workflow to accomplish the task. If for what ever reason it takes me longer than I anticipated, it's my problem not the clients.

Sam
    edited June 4, 2012

Is $200 you session fee, is it the total they must purchase or both.

For me every hour I shoot I spend about an hour on the computer. I really need to cut that down but I'm also trying to sell albums to the seniors so I want to knock their socks off with retouched prints. I don't do all but I do about 30 and at times I can hit 3 min per file if it needs it, some less.

On a "walkabout" (outdoor session) I take two cameras, three lens, two speed flashes, one stand for speed flash, plus my rolling cart that has a battery, softbox, stand and 1600 watt head, changing tent, a reflector or two and some drinks.