Options

5D3 and Auto ISO

chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
edited May 31, 2012 in Cameras
5d3 owners,

How are you folks feeling about the ability to use AUTO ISO with confidence?

With high ISO performance where it's at, seems like you could easily set your auto ISO range preference between 100 and whatever max you are comfortable with for the situation (1600? 3200? 12800? Etc), then in MANUAL freely choose your desired aperture and/or shutter speed at will while maintaining a balanced metered exposure throughout an amazing range of combinations. Great for run 'n gun situations.

Downside is no apparent ability to set an exposure compensation value (EDIT: which is a huge deal now that I think more about it. Maybe a feature they can add via firmware)
-Chris D.
http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    I've been playing around with it and finding it to be really great. I have it set for a min shutter of 1/250 and cap at 6400.
    Shot a landscape in the fog the other day and only later noticed it had gone to iso 640 for acceptable shutter speed. Image was awesome - nice and sharp with about the same noise as my 50D's iso 200 (if not better)
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Only issue with this is that in Manual with Auto ISO, you cannot specify any Exposure Compensation.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Only issue with this is that in Manual with Auto ISO, you cannot specify any Exposure Compensation.

It doesn't just change the 0-point of the meter in the viewfinder? I'm not positive, as I don't use auto-ISO on my D300 all that much, but I think on Nikon, EC just adjusts your center point... OP is right, that should be an easy firmware update (if they want to do that).
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    It doesn't just change the 0-point of the meter in the viewfinder? I'm not positive, as I don't use auto-ISO on my D300 all that much, but I think on Nikon, EC just adjusts your center point... OP is right, that should be an easy firmware update (if they want to do that).

It doesn't do that. I would think a firmware upgrade could change that, but I wouldn't know.

Oops, I missed the part where the OP already mentioned EC, thought I was adding to the conversation.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I've been playing around with it and finding it to be really great. I have it set for a min shutter of 1/250 and cap at 6400.
    Shot a landscape in the fog the other day and only later noticed it had gone to iso 640 for acceptable shutter speed. Image was awesome - nice and sharp with about the same noise as my 50D's iso 200 (if not better)

I wish some of the other Canon models could do this