Options

The D800E Visits the Wetlands

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited June 4, 2012 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

I've been sick as the proverbial dog for the last few days. My spirits were brightened Wednesday when my local camera store told me that they had just received a D800E and since I was #1 on the list ..... Linda drove to the store and I took possesion of the camera and went home. By Thursday I felt well enough to take it out of the box. This afternoon I was feeling a tad spunky so I went down to the wetlands and gave the 800E a spin.

Initially I was upset with the top and rear LCD because they were so dark I couldn't see a damn thing. My initial captures were done w/o any feedback that I could read from the camera. I stopped for a moment to clean my glasses when I realized I was wearing my sunglasses. Once I took them off the LCD became amazingly bright and readable. :doh

Anyhow here are some of my initial tries

This is the slow time of the year so I ended up taking some captures I would normally pass up.

8000062-XL.jpg

8000234-XL.jpg

8000253-XL.jpg

A sandhill crane flew past
8000280-XL.jpg

Fortunately the black bellied whistling ducks have moved in and they put on a pretty good show at
sundown

8000268-XL.jpg

8000272-XL.jpg

8000281-XL.jpg

8000288-XL.jpg

8000283-XL.jpg

It wasn't bad outing for the first time with a new camera. The AF is fast and accurate. The details are very good and the images require virtually no sharpening. I had more misses than I normally do but I expect that will improve as I get more used to the camera. My results were better when I used a tripod. The large file sizes did not overwhelm my PC and I had no problems processing them.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    Lemur LoverLemur Lover Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    All nice captures Harry, and congrats on the new toy :^) Watched a YouTube video just yesterday with a guy comparing the D800E (or at least I'm pretty sure it was the D800E!) to Canon's relatively new 5D MK III. Both cameras faired well and apparently are marked improvements on their predecessors, though Canon seemed to come a little ahead when it came to having higher FPS and write-to-card functionality, while Nikon still seems to offer greater performance with higher ISOs when it comes to capturing detail with very little noise.

I'm a Canon user myself, and for the most part, as a wildlife photographer, have always been very happy with my 7D, however, I'm often greatly frustrated with what I regard as the 7D's piss-poor performance when it come to working with ISOs greater than 400. I can only hope they'll have addressed this issue properly when they finally launch the 7D MK II, whenever that will be, and when they do I'll be in a position to buy it!

BTW, love your BIF shots. While no doubt you're using Nikon lenses, what's the reach of the one you used for these image above?
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    All nice captures Harry, and congrats on the new toy :^) Watched a YouTube video just yesterday with a guy comparing the D800E (or at least I'm pretty sure it was the D800E!) to Canon's relatively new 5D MK III. Both cameras faired well and apparently are marked improvements on their predecessors, though Canon seemed to come a little ahead when it came to having higher FPS and write-to-card functionality, while Nikon still seems to offer greater performance with higher ISOs when it comes to capturing detail with very little noise.

I'm a Canon user myself, and for the most part, as a wildlife photographer, have always been very happy with my 7D, however, I'm often greatly frustrated with what I regard as the 7D's piss-poor performance when it come to working with ISOs greater than 400. I can only hope they'll have addressed this issue properly when they finally launch the 7D MK II, whenever that will be, and when they do I'll be in a position to buy it!

BTW, love your BIF shots. While no doubt you're using Nikon lenses, what's the reach of the one you used for these image above?

I was using the 200-400 f/4 with the 2.0 TC. One of the big thjngs that got me to go go for the D4 and D800E was the ability to AF at f/8. The focal lengths for the BIFs ranged from 460mm to 700mm. The ISOs were 1600 for the BIfs.

Canon seems to have raised their game with high ISOs with their latest release. I'm betting that the 1DX will be a real advance that will give the D4 a challenge. Its really a sweet time for photographers now with so many outstanding options from so many manufacturers.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Congrats on the camera, Harry. I'm no birder, but I love that last one!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I was using the 200-400 f/4 with the 2.0 TC. One of the big thjngs that got me to go go for the D4 and D800E was the ability to AF at f/8. The focal lengths for the BIFs ranged from 460mm to 700mm. The ISOs were 1600 for the BIfs.

Canon seems to have raised their game with high ISOs with their latest release. I'm betting that the 1DX will be a real advance that will give the D4 a challenge. Its really a sweet time for photographers now with so many outstanding options from so many manufacturers.

Thanks for the feedback Harry!

While the competition between all these manufacturers at least means that discoveries they make, which greatly improves the performance of a camera, are made available to us sooner rather than later, as they all seem to price their comparative models so closely, it still means a large investment each time a new release comes out, which is rather unfortunate, but that's the nature of large commercial business.
  • Options
    MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012

I watched the same video on YouTube and was kind of left wondering why they would expect the D800E at almost twice the MP be able to transfer data to the buffer and card as fast as the Canon? Or to have comparable frame rates. These are not two cameras that can really be compared using that criteria. I believe the D800E actually transfers data faster than the 5D but just have more per image to deal with, but they never mentioned that.

These are two great cameras. Both will be excellent.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • Options
    ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Congrats on the new camera Harry. I Await your final Analysis as compared to the D4. I received my 800 On Thursday and hope to get it out to Ding Darling this weekend, Hope you get feeling better.
  • Options
    GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Excellent results Harry
    Just butter sweet..
    Good going
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2012
    Montec wrote: »
    I watched the same video on YouTube and was kind of left wondering why they would expect the D800E at almost twice the MP be able to transfer data to the buffer and card as fast as the Canon? Or to have comparable frame rates. These are not two cameras that can really be compared using that criteria. I believe the D800E actually transfers data faster than the 5D but just have more per image to deal with, but they never mentioned that.

These are two great cameras. Both will be excellent.

Hi Monte,

While that guy did a far better job than I could do at presenting, it did feel like he was trying a little to hard to be like Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson; coming across as extremely knowledgeable in an amusing and entertaining way. I think he tended he exaggerate what he regarded as the slightly negative aspects of each camera, as simple truth is, both cameras seem to be very good.

As a wildlife photographer extra frames per second is sometimes very important to me, which is one of the reasons why I like my 7D so much. At the same time, for all people say about more than 12 megapixels being superfluous, there's been plenty of occasions I've been out in the field unable to get close enough to a bird, even with the 7D's multiplication factor of 1.6 and a 1.4x converter attached to my 500mm lens, where I'd loved to have had 36 megapixels working for me instead of the 7D's 18, knowing that I could crop the image greatly and probably still come up with a great image to print.

If I could afford to invest more on equipment right now, while still loyal to Canon, I'd be seriously tempted to go with a Nikon this time, though main reason being the greater performance it gives at higher ISOs.

BTW Harry, I love your Osprey capture, excellent work on the exposure, the detail and textures are fantastic!
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    Harry, what beautiful photos, and thank goodness you are feeling better. The light in those sunset photos is stunning. Seems like you have another great new camera. Best, Pam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited May 27, 2012
    Looks like you are getting your new camera broken in already, and ready for Africa once more.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Congrats with your new toy Harry. Some fine pictures. However, I find the most of them less "crisp" than the pics in most other posts.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    "Coming in for a landing"
    I think you could title that last 3 or 4 "coming in for a landing". Love em'

I wonder how well the photos will print in a very large size, given the 36mp. In the past the number of MP was not a consideration for me, but I suspect for your type of photography it could be.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2012
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Congrats on the camera, Harry. I'm no birder, but I love that last one!

Thanks David, so far I'm very happy with my new toy.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2012
    ashrugged wrote: »
    Congrats on the new camera Harry. I Await your final Analysis as compared to the D4. I received my 800 On Thursday and hope to get it out to Ding Darling this weekend, Hope you get feeling better.

Congrats on your D800 Robert and I look forward to seeing how you made out at Ding. In the endIprobbaly won't be doing a comparison of the two cameras. They are very different beasts with different strengths and weaknesses.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    Gale wrote: »
    Excellent results Harry
    Just butter sweet..
    Good going

Thanks Gale
    Harry
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    PGM wrote: »
    Harry, what beautiful photos, and thank goodness you are feeling better. The light in those sunset photos is stunning. Seems like you have another great new camera. Best, Pam

Thanks Pam, its always fun to take out a new toy and give it a spin.
    Harry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    We can make some D800 vs D800E comparisons in Africa next week, Harry!
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Looks like you are getting your new camera broken in already, and ready for Africa once more.
    Andy wrote: »
    We can make some D800 vs D800E comparisons in Africa next week, Harry!

We will have a blast in Africa. Can't wait to hook with y'all again.

Times have changed Andy. We used to compare Canon to Nikon results. Now its Nikon to Nikon.:ivar
    Harry