Options

File size in post processing ?

mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited May 31, 2012 in Weddings
I've question about how people deal with Tiff file size in post processing. Files taken out from my 5Dmk2 in CR2 format are roughly 20-24MB in physical size. Everything is imported into LR4 as I use that as single point of entry and exit for all files.
I use LR4 to do basic edits than push file to CS6 from within LR4 (Edit in CS6) to apply few action and other things.
At the end when I save and return back to Lr4 from CS6 it is .tiff file.
I export from Lr4 to output folder in .jpeg format.
When I see the size of .tiff file in finder it shows files anywhere from 300MB to 900MB (depending upon what all things were added on file).
So how do you guys deal with this .tiff files ? What is your post processing flow look like ?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Yowza!

I just stick with CR2 and after batch editing in LR4 process to jpg. I hardly EVER touch photochop unless I am stitching or making albums.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Make sure you flatten your TIFF images, and use LZW compression when you save. If you're editing in 16 or 32 bit, you can convert to 8 bit if you're positive everything is finished (or if its not a real high dynamic range image editing in 8 bit is usually fine) A non-layered 8 bit TIFF with LZW compression from the MKII averages 35-55MB depending on detail, and the absolute maximum is 60MB.

300-900MB for a 21MP image is pretty ridiculous for a final output size... I have a hunch layers are probably the probable problematic problem eek7.gif
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Thank you all for your comments, Overfocused you are right yes layers are a big problem with the output size of .tiff file.
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    I would agree its the use of layers and work done cs6 even one layer can double the file size. as long as you have done all the work on the file you can flatten it
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Switch to 8-bit PSD's and you'll be much better off. 25-50-100 MB for a ~12 megapixel file...

And honestly? If you're just clicking a couple actions, you just don't need a PSD anyways. Save it as a JPG and call it a day. I only ever create PSD's on images that TRULY need it, like for face-swapping where I need multiple layers and may need to come back to the file later if a print is ordered. But if I'm just going into Photoshop to click a couple actions, I can just re-click those actions to the RAW file again later if necessary.

Besides, I've almost completely stopped using general actions in Photoshop, now that LR4 has RGB curves adjustments. Using the SLR Lounge LR4 presets especially, I honestly only ever go into photoshop for ~10-20 shots per 1,000 delivered on a wedding job. No reason to go into Photoshop for any more than that, at least not until prints / albums start getting ordered...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Not to derail, Matt, do you like the SLR Lounce presets? I've been eyeing them for a short while now.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    ZBlack wrote: »
    Not to derail, Matt, do you like the SLR Lounce presets? I've been eyeing them for a short while now.

Can't live without them, actually. They rock my LR4 workflow and they are all I use now. Of course I created my own personal stash of customized presets, but that's the whole philosophy behind Pye's "Mixology" concept.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Can't live without them, actually. They rock my LR4 workflow and they are all I use now. Of course I created my own personal stash of customized presets, but that's the whole philosophy behind Pye's "Mixology" concept.

=Matt=

holy moly, I just looked a the SLR lounge stuff..looks awesome. will down load tonight.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com