Options

Kyoto (and Osaka)

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited July 25, 2012 in Journeys
My son is studying in Kyoto, and I recently spent a week visiting. I spent most of the days walking the city, till my feet were sore.
IMG8528-XL.jpg

2 Kyoto Station with Kyoto Tower in the background
IMG8583-XL.jpg

3 The train station in Osaka
IMG8591-XL.jpg

4 This is in the gardens of Osaka Castle. These photo-things were really popular for snaps.
IMG8636-XL.jpg

IMG8701-XL.jpg

6 There are a LOT of hunched over old folks in Japan. Some were bent at nearly 90°.
IMG8793-XL.jpg

7 This is in Teramachi, an INCREDIBLE and large pedestrian shopping center in Kyoto.
IMG8811-XL.jpg

8 Teramachi is just off of Shijo Dori, the main shopping street. Shijo has the mainstream more western-style shopping, and Teramachi has little stalls and much more local color.
IMG8819-XL.jpg

9 Shijo Dori
IMG8801-XL.jpg

10 Coming down the steps from one of the temples. Kyoto was swarming with school kids the week I was there. I believe it was the week that every 6th grader (or equivalent) went on a field trip to learn about japanese history.
IMG8907-XL.jpg

11 A beautiful park adjoining one of the temples. Duck pond stocked with large carp. Awesome.
IMG8893-XL.jpg

12 Back on Shijo Dori
IMG8402-XL.jpg

13 This is the edge of the Gion District, which is known for its more traditional vibe.
IMG8411-XL.jpg

14 The Kamo River from Shoji Dori. This marks the border between the shopping district and Gion.
IMG8404-XL.jpg

15 Gion District
IMG8413-XL.jpg

16 Gion District
IMG8432-XL.jpg

17 These were in the Gion District. I paid 100¥ for the right to photograph them. There was a sign that asked that I put the payment in "the frog." (which you can barely see at the bottom of the third photo)
IMG8418-S.jpgIMG8419-S.jpgIMG8420-S.jpgIMG8421-S.jpg

18 Like I said, lots of kids. Several interviewed me, obviously for school credit for speaking english with a foreigner.
IMG8361-Edit-XL.jpg

IMG8453-XL.jpg

IMG8836-XL.jpg

21 I really enjoyed the english language T-shirts.
IMG8845-XL.jpg

IMG8650-XL.jpg

IMG8763-XL.jpg

24 And the signs...
IMG8553-XL.jpg

IMG8581-XL.jpg

26 Philosopher's Walk. A beautiful walk from temple to temple.
IMG8519-XL.jpg

27 A pre-school bus. Can you tell?
IMG8542-XL.jpg

28 We went to Monkey Park, which is a LONG hike uphill. I pretty much felt the same as this monkey once I got up there.
IMG8556-XL.jpg

IMG8576-XL.jpg

30 A street performer in Osaka Castle Park
IMG8627-XL.jpg

IMG8707-XL.jpg

32 I bought some green tea for my daughter in Teramachi
IMG8814-XL.jpg

33 And a fan for my wife (also in Teramchi)
IMG8803-XL.jpg

34 Making cookies in Teramachi
IMG8802-XL.jpg

35 Yum.
IMG8815-XL.jpg

36 I had fun watching this photo session for a bit.
IMG8913-XL.jpg

37 Japan. Thank you. Exactly.
IMG8477-XL.jpg

The gallery is here.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    These pictures bring back great memories. I've visited Japan a few times and really love it. Kyoto is spectacular, particularly during the cherry blossom festival.

I love #10. I thought for a minute that they were just standing there waiting... then you notice the picture V-sign, so I thought they knew you were back there, then you notice the little elbow of the person actually taking their picture. Nice.

#6. You really have to be careful of the obaasan. Some of them can be quite testy! I was always amazed to see them hiking up these really tall temples with stairs and ladders.

#31. I do *not* remember Smoking Areas when I was there... I wonder how recent those are.

Your Engrish pictures are great. I assume you know about that web site? Hilarious.

And of course, monkeys. I love Japan! :ivar
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2012
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    These pictures bring back great memories. I've visited Japan a few times and really love it. Kyoto is spectacular, particularly during the cherry blossom festival.

I love #10. I thought for a minute that they were just standing there waiting... then you notice the picture V-sign, so I thought they knew you were back there, then you notice the little elbow of the person actually taking their picture. Nice.

#6. You really have to be careful of the obaasan. Some of them can be quite testy! I was always amazed to see them hiking up these really tall temples with stairs and ladders.

#31. I do *not* remember Smoking Areas when I was there... I wonder how recent those are.

Your Engrish pictures are great. I assume you know about that web site? Hilarious.

And of course, monkeys. I love Japan! :ivar

Thanks for the comments! I really, really loved my visit. My only regret is that my wife wasn't able to join me and share it with me. Next time!

As for the obaasan (new word to me), there were so many, and I didn't really want to take a picture of the deformed lady, but I did want a record of it for myself, as part of the experience of being there. Yet, I felt a bit voyeuristic about it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited May 30, 2012
    What a great opportunity!

Some friends of mine are living in Okinawa for the next few years. It's interesting to note the differences between their city pictures and yours.

Pretty cool!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Wow, great pics and a wonderful narrative. My daughter lived in the Tokyo suburbs for 3 years and we visited her 2 times. Kyoto was one of the most fascinating places!
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2012
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Wow, great pics and a wonderful narrative. My daughter lived in the Tokyo suburbs for 3 years and we visited her 2 times. Kyoto was one of the most fascinating places!

Thanks so much for the comments! I LOVED Kyoto!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    SO AWESOME David! Thank you so much for sharing these moments with us. Great set. Japan is on my short list of places to visit. Unfortunately, it's on my wife's long list.

All are great but #10, 14 and 15 are my absolute favorites.

I also enjoyed the shots with you serving as "tourist attraction". I got a lot of the same when I visited the Philippines last year. I stood out like a sore thumb. Oh... and I see you eventually got the requisite peace sign down for your poses. An Asian must for all pics.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2012
    SO AWESOME David! Thank you so much for sharing these moments with us. Great set. Japan is on my short list of places to visit. Unfortunately, it's on my wife's long list.

All are great but #10, 14 and 15 are my absolute favorites.

I also enjoyed the shots with you serving as "tourist attraction". I got a lot of the same when I visited the Philippines last year. I stood out like a sore thumb. Oh... and I see you eventually got the requisite peace sign down for your poses. An Asian must for all pics.

Thanks! It was such a blast. Hopefully you can move it up on your wife's list. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    great photographs, that seems like interesting place! thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    great photographs, that seems like interesting place! thanks for sharing

Thanks, Awais! It was really fascinating. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Thanks for sharing! After doing some post grad studies on Japan my wife and I finally visited in 2001. She lived there as a student. Now more than 10years later we desperately want to return. You just reminded me how badly I want to go back thumb.gif
  • Options
    BlufoxBlufox Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2012
    Excellent series from a beautiful part of the world! I was there last November for 11 days and am returning again this November for 16 days!
    Larry

"Every moment in life is unique and will never be repeated.
    These are the moments that present the greatest opportunity for a photographer ..."
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2012
    jasonstone wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing! After doing some post grad studies on Japan my wife and I finally visited in 2001. She lived there as a student. Now more than 10years later we desperately want to return. You just reminded me how badly I want to go back thumb.gif
    Blufox wrote: »
    Excellent series from a beautiful part of the world! I was there last November for 11 days and am returning again this November for 16 days!

Thank you both!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2012
    What a beautiful series of photographs! You give me more inspiration to try to get my butt across the pacific and see eastern asia!
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2012
    What a beautiful series of photographs! You give me more inspiration to try to get my butt across the pacific and see eastern asia!

Why thank you! You should. I had such a great time. Now I'm home, though, I don't venture out the door. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Alexandra88Alexandra88 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2012
    #13 + #33
    13 reminds me of Bresson's 1954 Boy with Bottles.

33 is so precious and a fave!
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2012
    13 reminds me of Bresson's 1954 Boy with Bottles.

33 is so precious and a fave!

Thanks for the comments, Alexandra. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    D3XwannabeD3Xwannabe Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    The Japanese are typically a happy bunch of people. They work hard, are extremely family-oriented, and are outgoing and gregarious to strangers: especially us gaijins! I was lucky enough to live there for two years in the 70's. Unfortunately, unlike you, I have not been back. Your photos make me want to go NOW!

Thanks for the inspiration.
    CARL
    D3XWannabe
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2012
    D3Xwannabe wrote: »
    The Japanese are typically a happy bunch of people. They work hard, are extremely family-oriented, and are outgoing and gregarious to strangers: especially us gaijins! I was lucky enough to live there for two years in the 70's. Unfortunately, unlike you, I have not been back. Your photos make me want to go NOW!

Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks, Carl! I hope you manage to get back. It'd be interesting to hear about the different experiences now as opposed to the 70's.
    Moderator Emeritus