PC Screen Recording Software

AlatristeAlatriste Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited May 28, 2012 in Video
Hola! :D

I'm looking for some PC screen recording software. That would be software that records what's on my PC screen while I am working. So for example if I am navigating around in Excel, the software would make a movie of that, then I could upload that movie to my SmugMug account and link it to friends.

Anybody know of FREE software that does this? Or even software for purchase as long as it is good.

Thanks!

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Alatriste wrote: »

I'm looking for some PC screen recording software. That would be software that records what's on my PC screen while I am working. So for example if I am navigating around in Excel, the software would make a movie of that, then I could upload that movie to my SmugMug account and link it to friends.

Anybody know of FREE software that does this? Or even software for purchase as long as it is good.

Thanks!

Camtasia~
    tom wise
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2012
    Both http://Camtasia.com and http://Snagit.com, both made by Techsmith, do video screen capture. I've used Camtasia for years and haven't found anything else free or pay for that consistently works as well Camtasia for video screen capture. The latest version of Snagit also does video screen capture too, but I've not used it but my guess is it works pretty well.

Cam is $300, Snagit is $50. It looks like Snagit doesn't support as many kinds of video output formats as Cam, but is looks like it will do what you want.

Cam also supports some editing, but it's a bit cumbersome to use. For simple editing it's fine though. I use Cam to do screen capture but use Premiere Pro to do editing, but I'm doing a lot more than simple capture.

Just search the web for "video screen capture" and you will find a lot of free and inexpensive video screen capture tools. I've found that those tools don't work reliably. If you find a video screen capture tool that works reliably please let us know about it.

If you just need to do some video screen capture for a short time both camtasia and snagit have 30 day free trials.

Alatriste wrote: »

Thanks!
  • AlatristeAlatriste Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    Thanks guys!
  • AlatristeAlatriste Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    http://screencast.com/t/bBgpFmzU

Okay. I downloaded the free version from techsmith, Jing. I had some sheet music that I wanted to transcribe into GuitarPro6 software which is a good program for learning new songs (speed training, looping, translate notation/tabs, etc.). I recorded it with Jing. Thanks for the recommendations. Jing is very easy to use.