Options

Need advice on QR plate for 5D MKIII ballhead

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited June 15, 2012 in Accessories
So, I'm pretty sure I'm about to finally dig in and buy a tripod and ballhead that will be used for decades. Up until now I've only been using what got me through college, which has been durable but also a heavy clunky mess.

For a ballhead, I definitely favor the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, or Markins Q3 Emille however I have no clue which custom fit QR plate to go with.

I see Acratech has one for $40, but before I just buy it, does anyone have a more economic suggestion for plates that are just as well made? I'd love one with a metal ring going through the bolt so I don't have to depend on an allen key or spend another $15 to get a ringed bolt.

https://acratech.net/product.php?productid=57&cat=221&page=1

On the side I'm also considering the Manfrotto 468MGRCO hydrostatic ball head... but I've read a review that it creeps a little even under its weight limit. Anyone have one that they can give feedback on?

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-468MGRCO-Hydrostatic-Rapid-Connect/dp/B000FFMBQG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    I hear nothing but wonderful things about Markins and ReallyRightStuff. As for a plate, I'd contact the manufacturers. I looked at the Acratech head and it seems very cool. But decided it didn't meet my needs.

One other thing... I noted the ballhead you linked to was a lever release. Unless you are in a BIG hurry to take the camera off, I really don't like levers. I guess I am just paranoid that my jacket sleeve, a careless bystander, or anyone or anything else might release it when I really don't want that to happen. I hate QR plates in general, but seems a foregone thing these days.

Not sure what your intended use is, just thought I'd point it out.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2012
    Yeah the link defaults to that lever action release...I already decided on a screw type release if what I get has the option. Thanks for the consideration though :) Although I've also never really had lever release problems as I've always bought ones with a safety toggle switch/pin, I still want the screw since $4k in equipment is worth all the practical safety measures possible.

My main uses are just general photography and probably nothing ever heavier than 20LBs combined. Hell, I barely ever use a tripod as it is, but when I need one, I need one.

If I ever got a monster lens I'd buy a dedicated head and plate to go with it since a $5K+ lens is worth buying its own head/plate assembly for.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2012
    Yep, I am going to be running overhead remotes, as in top of the stadium/civic center so having anything that is "quick release" just doesn't sit well with me. I want NO RELEASE UNTIL I DARNED WELL SAY SO!
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2012
    OK I'm ending up going with the Benro A2692TB1 tripod, Acratech GV2 ball head, and 2 Benro PU70 plates. The PU70s are included with the A2692T, and have very good reviews, so I may as well use them with the Acratech ballhead.

I'm also selling the Benro B1 ballhead included with the tripod brand new without plate if anyone is interested:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743912-REG/Benro_B1_B1_Double_Action_Ballhead.html

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_B1#specs

Asking $95 shipped OBO. The tripod won't be here for about 7 days, but when it gets here I'll ship it out ASAP.
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2012
    Allright I got the GV2. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited June 15, 2012
    Allright I got the GV2. iloveyou.gif

Congratulations. That's a very nice ball head. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums