Options

Music-hall promotional (C&C)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited May 30, 2012 in People
C&C always welcome!

So, thread here yesterday asking for ideas for a promo shoot that came out of nowhere. No problem doing it, but I don't get that much experience with this kind of thing so really had to think on my feet! Thankfully, Bryce gave me some wonderful lighting food for thought, and Strobist had also just posted a few threads which gave me some technical ideas, so armed with my 3x flashes and not much else, off we went.

First major snag: couldn't remember how to change the groups on my flash. I've finally acquired a 3rd unit (a 580ex) and wanted to use it as my key A group, and the other two as B (triggered by the STE2, although I see radio triggers in my future now I finally have two units that can run manual....). THANK GOODNESS for internet on my phone, since I managed to look it up (it's the zoom button, in case anybody else ever forgets and/or needs to know).

2nd major snag: although I am SURE that I packed it (and even double-checked for it) I couldn't find my 2nd umbrella bracket. PHOOEY! So, in the end, I wound up only using two flashes after all. Major duh moment. I had the 3rd flash velcro-strapped to a stand and ready to use kleenex-diffused if necessary, but in the end I just abandoned it.

This was in a pretty brightly lit (overhead lights + multiple windows) church hall, but the little stage/curtain at one end was ideal for the mood we wanted. It's taken me ages to wrap my head round killing the ambient, but I feel like I finally NAILED it in this shoot. I opted to use my Photek softliter boomed up pretty high + my small, 16" Cheetah SB moved wherever I need it either as fill, or just a special to ensure all faces were lit. To get rid of all that ambient I was shooting at ss of 320 and up, and often stopping down to f8 (gasp! Me, stopped down below f4?!!?)

i-Jqkkz9F-L.jpg

The boys had brought instruments and some hats, which instantly helped set the mood:

IMG9517-3-M.jpg

3. The program they're putting together comprises music-hall and vaudeville, and I really wanted something a bit quirkier for them than just A.N.Other photo; I decided to try my hand at a Norman Rockwell-esque look (this is not my preferred style for most things, but I really thought it suited the mood and was just vintage enough to be evocative)

IMG9515-Edit-2-L.jpg

4. The program will be quite humourous, so I decided to work them a little and get them to be a little bit silly. This shot is actually my very favorite of the shoot; I did three versions, and they can choose which they like if they use it:

4a. Again, extreme processing to be a bit vintage/postcard look:
IMG9575-2-L.jpg

4b. Sepia
IMG9575-3-L.jpg

4c. As-is, with no effects
IMG9575-4-L.jpg

5. For all their willingness to be silly, these boys can PLAY, and they spontaneously decided to move to the piano and start jamming. It was AWESOME!!! Unfortunately, the piano's position along the wall - plus windows - made framing and exposing a good shot tough:

i-CR5r8pc-L.jpg

6. After a minute, I reversed the shot, moved a few things, and managed to get a few which had them all acceptably lit. Not perfect, but I think it works ok. I sure wish there'd been time to flag or snoot the light on the pianist (I had to do a lot in post to tone him and the instrument down) and even more that there'd been a vantage point where I could have avoided the trombone slide and banjo neck intersecting, as well as blending into heads.... But, sometimes you just have to go with what you've got - this was definitely one of those sometimes!! (Photek CR on the far side of the pianist, small SB feathered onto pianist from CL).

IMG9610-Edit-L.jpg

Most importantly, they're thrilled. They had a very tight deadline for this, and are absolutely pleased with what we got. :whew

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Nice job, like the quirkiness of the shots.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Really nice Divamum. Love 4a!
  • Options
    Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    I think you didi a great job........Very Cool!!!
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Love the sepia one. Looks perfect for the subject and is just plain fun.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Not wild about the normally processed images. Not bad, especially under the circumstances but seems to me to be a little hot and too much red.

I do however love #3 and #4. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

I am sure they are thrilled, and this will lead to more work!

Sam
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Diva...I really love 3 and 4a. I think 4 is also a canidate for your Norman Rockwell process!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2012
    Glad they work for others who don't know the people or the gig; the guys were thrilled with them which was nice.

Sam, you're right - they're red. It was HOT!!! By the time we finished we were all drenched and looked like lobsters (no AC and the big fan may have moved it around, but didn't do much for yesterday's extreme humidity!). I took as much red away as I could in LR; I probably need to look over those again in Photoshop and desat the reds a bit more thumb.gif

BroPhoto, for some reason 4 didn't take to that process quite as well as I'd expected - believe it or not, 4a is the same settings, but I think because it was lit a little differently it wasn't quite as bright to start out. I can tinker with it. thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    4a should be the cover picture on their program!

Bravo!clap.gif

I like six a bunch too.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    These are awesome Diva! The processing is spot-on in #3 and #4a. Very nicely done. You've done good thumb.gif
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2012
    Thanks, MikeJ and Bryce!! iloveyou.gif

Bryce, thanks again for the useful brainstorming the night before. Also, because you're our "vintage expert", I wondered what you'd think of the processing! Glad you like. Both the guys and their promoter have been very pleased with them, so it's worked out well overall, despite having felt thrown together! Guess some of that photo knowledge is starting to stick... ;)
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2012
    Diva...I did some searching on how to do the Norman Rockwell thing and came across this site that a guy uses LightRoom and Photoshop to get close to the Norman Rockwell efect. I think if you try just what the guy does in LR, and then you process in Photoshop, #4 might work for you. Just a thought. Click Here to view that site. Let me know if that helps any.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2012
    ETA: Where are my manners - thanks!!!

This is the one they all liked, so I did a bit more with it. I didn't want to go quite as far with the Norman Rockwell processing on it for a number of reasons, but I did take it into PS to brighten, desat some of the reds, and tweak it a bit, then ran it back through LR, repeating the same process I used for the effect initially (essentially, it's max fill+mas recovery+lots of clarity; season to taste ... ). ALso, I think the dark rather than white vignette changes the "feel" of it too; I preferred the dark vignette "spotlight" feeling with the darker image. YMMV!! thumb.gif

i-jmkjR5n-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2012
    I think the last one is perfect now! Now it looks like they are being lit by a spotlight. I bet this one would look great printed very large!

GaryB
    GaryB
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Congrats on hitting the vaudeville vibe. thumb.gif