Options

Export and Upload

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited May 28, 2012 in Finishing School
I have 6000 images to get up on my website. They can be thunbnails. I have Elements10 and Lightroom 4. Right now I am trying LR and it is super slow on the export. What is the fastest way to get this done?

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    There are a bunch of things that can make uploading images slow. http://dslreports.com will measure the speed of your internet connection. For example if dslreports.com says your upload speed is 1000Kbps then 4 MByte image will take around 30 seconds to upload. You won't be able to upload faster than your internet connection allows you to.

Does the internet provider that hosts you website provide any tools for uploading? They might be faster than LR. Also if you internet provider supports FTP, uploading with FTP may be faster than LR. You can search the web for FTP programs. Filezilla http://filezilla-project.org/ is one many people use.

LR is probably exporting full resolution images. If all you need are thumbnail you will have to tell it to limit the size. Just limit the long edge to something like 80 and you will get a much small image and file size. You control that in the image resizing part of the export menu.

I have 6000 images to get up on my website. They can be thunbnails. I have Elements10 and Lightroom 4. Right now I am trying LR and it is super slow on the export. What is the fastest way to get this done?
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    Thanks Dan. For export in LR I have the size down to 64 x 64 with 64 pixels/inch, quality at about 50. Still looks like 3- 4 seconds per image. There is a "limit size of file" option that says it will give you the fastest speed but it did not seem to work. It said it could not make a file at my specified size? I tried a couple sizes from 5 - 100. This is the first time I have tried to export and upload so many files. The editor that got me my media credentials gets first pick, I told him he could veiw thumbnails in a private folder on the web site.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012
    If you main goal is to get thumbnails to your editor and you don't care if he ends up downloading (which is what's going to happen on your website anyhow) then you might consider using http://www.dropbox.com instead. After you've installed dropbox, just export or copy your images to a dropbox directory. Then you can email a link to your editor who can then download them. As long is the total size of all the images is less than 2G it's free.

A lot of 'togs use dropbox to move images from here to there.

Dan
    Thanks Dan. For export in LR I have the size down to 64 x 64 with 64 pixels/inch, quality at about 50. Still looks like 3- 4 seconds per image. There is a "limit size of file" option that says it will give you the fastest speed but it did not seem to work. It said it could not make a file at my specified size? I tried a couple sizes from 5 - 100. This is the first time I have tried to export and upload so many files. The editor that got me my media credentials gets first pick, I told him he could veiw thumbnails in a private folder on the web site.
  • Options
    daylightimagesdaylightimages Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2012

You didn't say if you were on a Mac or PC. I have found that Lightroom exports have really slowed down ever since I went to Lion, and the biggest culprit I have found is running Safari and Lightroom simultaneously. When I shut down Safari, my Lightroom speed increases dramatically. Try running only Lightroom during export and see if that helps.
    Steve Barry
    The Railroad Photographer
    www.railroadphotographer.com