Options

First Time Out With The Nikon 35-70mm 2.8

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited May 31, 2012 in People
I have been wanting to add a mid range zoom to use with my FX body for doing outdoor portraiture for a while now. Although the Nikon 24-70 2.8 was certainly a lens I lusted after, I just couldn't justify the 1,900.00. Lucky for me, someone that did justify spending the 1,900.00 put their 35-70mm 2.8 AF up for sale on e-bay and I snatched it up.

The lens is a VERY solid build. AF is quite fast and I'm very pleased with the sharpness even at 2.8. Most likely wouldn't want to use this lens for shooting action because of the push/pull zoom, but for doing portraiture it wasn't an issue for me.

The results, coupled with the 325.00 price tag makes this a lens I am VERY pleased with.

Image shot tonight at 7:00 PM with the 35-70. Nikon D-700, SB-800 mounted with a shoot through umbrella about 3 feet to camera right. Light stand Mom holding a white reflector to subject right to block sun dapples coming through the tree. f2.8 ss 750 and ISO 200.

webmathew-outdoor-13b-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    nice pop on this image..I wish his left foot wasn;t lost in the grass but other then that..great shot
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    If this is the first time you use this lens, the most you use it, the happier you'll be.
    Very good job.thumb.gif
    Agree with Qarik, but believe me, I don't think it matters much in this take as he is interacting with nature.

Cheers,
    Carlos
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    nice pop on this image..I wish his left foot wasn;t lost in the grass but other then that..great shot
    Thanks Qarik, I am diggin this new used lens.
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    If this is the first time you use this lens, the most you use it, the happier you'll be.
    Very good job.thumb.gif
    Agree with Qarik, but believe me, I don't think it matters much in this take as he is interacting with nature.

Cheers,
    Carlos

Thanks Yafly, I am certainly looking forward to using it again soon.