Options

the Midget Stig and the Stiglet

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited June 12, 2012 in People
The Stig is a well known masked icon on the popular show Top Gear.

When my friend received her custom white leathers, I crafted a photoshoot with the help of Ian408. Unfortunately, we shot during a windy California winter storm and was unable to re-schedule. The reason: the MidgetStig was pregnant.

theMidgetStig shoot.

The pregnancy wasn't easy. The MidgetStig went into preterm labor a few months early and spent weeks in the hospital and on bed rest.

1. I'm proud introduce the the Midget Stig and the Stiglet.
i-gjPbMsq-XL.jpg
I still don't know how the MidgetStig fit into her custom leathers about five weeks after giving birth.

2. You will be riding soon....
i-ZFhQm6q-XL.jpg

3. Motorcycle dreams
i-tLDwGRt-XL.jpg
note: We had a two hands on the Stiglet at all times behind the bike. Safety first.

Details:
I decided to use the same light setup. AB through a bedsheet for fill, beauty dish (diffused) above/camera right, and diffused bare speedlight camera left.

Although the weather conditions were much better and we didn't have to worry about everything flying away or getting wet, I faced other issues.
1) I forgot to bring enough sand bags.
2) I should have come earlier; i could have done a better job at setup
3) I should have moved cars out of the way so that I could have more space
4) Newborns don't like the cold.
5) I couldn't decide if I wanted sun star or the blue hour. I ended up going with the sun star because the temps were rapidly dropping.
6) I normally get things correctly in camera, but I just didn't have enough time and couldn't really adjust light angles, distances, etc. It was setup, take a few test shots, it's good enough, let's rock and roll, done.

4. Pullback: photo from my friend
i-2cBzMxt-L.jpg

I had these grand plans, but we just ran out of time. :cry

In total, I had about five minutes with the Stiglet; i wished I had more, but the kid was not happy being pulled out of a nice, warm heated house and used as a photo prop.

C&C welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    One word: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    kick ass stuff april!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    haha I love Top Gear!!! I have seasons 1-15 of the UK version. It helps to keep me going through this deployment! Great stuff!!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    What no hockey outfit in here!?!?! As usual good stuff. Except the real Stig would have held the baby at arm's length.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Post of the month. This is awesome. I love the last one.

And thanks for the BTS, too. Dammit, I need a beauty dish.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    One word: AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks! It's easy when there is a friend that's willing to use her newborn as a baby prop.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    kick ass stuff april!
    At one point in time, i was slightly freaking out that I didn't have a second and did think about calling to see if you were interested. After the first time around, I was really afraid of flying lightstands.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2012
    haha I love Top Gear!!! I have seasons 1-15 of the UK version. It helps to keep me going through this deployment! Great stuff!!

The Midget Stig loves Top Gear as well. She watched a bunch while on bedrest :D

We think this would be an awesome halloween costume!
    i-fCs4Zj7-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2012
    What no hockey outfit in here!?!?! As usual good stuff. Except the real Stig would have held the baby at arm's length.

Hockey is coming up. :D I couldn't figure out how to stuff the kid in a hockey helmet without breaking her. When she can hold up her head, I have grand plans of stuffing the kid in a hockey bag.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Post of the month. This is awesome. I love the last one.

And thanks for the BTS, too. Dammit, I need a beauty dish.

You actually don't need a beauty dish and I think I used it wrong for the shoot with the midget stig. We really didn't have much time to set up at all and I didn't get a chance to feather the light; they're not where I want them to be. I actually was pretty unhappy until I started the post on this frame.

Note: this is probably Susan's fame (my 2nd for the night), but there is a chance that it's mine (posted with permission). She was holding the baby in place and told me to rattle off a few frames from her camera, but she she also switched places with the mom and grabbed a handful as well. Either way, the lighting setup and post is mine...

i-n5Ttkkn-XL.jpg

I believe that any of these frames could have been done with a big soft fill and hard lights; it just starts with an idea....
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited June 1, 2012
    Epic!! clap.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited June 1, 2012
    April, I am really impressed with these. Looks like a fun shoot. Stiglet will love these when he/she gets older and can appreciate all the work that went into this.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited June 2, 2012
    That's AWESOME! Many of you will remember we did a shoot post stiglet. That was fun too :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    SOOOOO good! Wow! Very impressive!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Wow, just wow.
    The lighting is super and I love the epicness of it all.
    I kept expecting the midget stig to hold the stiglet up a la simba's birth in the lion king.
    Very cool stuff!
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2012
    Amazing work April!!!
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    I don't check the people forum too often, but the subject caught my eye on this one. My other big hobby outside of photography is motorcycles, and I remember one of the bloggers I follow posting some Stig pics last year, and she also had a baby recently. Sure enough, this was her, and I somehow missed when these were posted to the blog.

I love the photos, especially the use of the sun star in the background. Well done!
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    kdog wrote: »
    Epic!! clap.gifbowdown.gifclap.gif
    I forgot that you live here too! I could have asked you to help as well!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    April, I am really impressed with these. Looks like a fun shoot. Stiglet will love these when he/she gets older and can appreciate all the work that went into this.

The mom saw the photos and wrote: That’s my baby: farting sunbeams.

The Stiglet will either love them or think that her mom is a totally dork :D
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    That's AWESOME! Many of you will remember we did a shoot post stiglet. That was fun too :D
    If you have any ideas in the future shoots, let me know. :ivarIt would be a blast to shoot with you again!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    Elaine wrote: »
    SOOOOO good! Wow! Very impressive!
    Thanks for the kind words. I think I was in a panic for most of shoot since I'm still not much of a people shooter.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    marikris wrote: »
    Wow, just wow.
    The lighting is super and I love the epicness of it all.
    I kept expecting the midget stig to hold the stiglet up a la simba's birth in the lion king.
    Very cool stuff!
    rolleyes1.gifLove the mental image of it! I might have to try that one in the future!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    rsquared wrote: »
    I don't check the people forum too often, but the subject caught my eye on this one. My other big hobby outside of photography is motorcycles, and I remember one of the bloggers I follow posting some Stig pics last year, and she also had a baby recently. Sure enough, this was her, and I somehow missed when these were posted to the blog.

I love the photos, especially the use of the sun star in the background. Well done!

Wow! That's such a small world! She's has a blog and small following of motorcycle folks since she writes about her various rides, including two trips across the US, one to Alaska, her honeymoon ride through Australia and her numerous short trips around the bay area.

The doctor just gave her approval to ride again, and that very next day, she went for a short ride in town :D

If you have any ideas about babies and motorcycles, let me know. It's rare to meet someone who is willing to use her new baby as prop :D
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2012
    Shima wrote: »
    Amazing work April!!!
    Thanks for the comments! We also need to do a shoot in the future!