Options

D90 or d7000

racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited May 29, 2012 in Cameras
So i had a little mishap with my old D90, luckily i had seperate insurance for it. Im trying to decide if i should get a d90 again or if i should go to the d7000 what your thoughts on the two.....thanks

i do like shooting wildlife, races and scenic, lightning pics. ive always had good luck with the d90 but the d7000 does have nice stuff to it.

Comments

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    I think it's a no-brainer. Better AF, better ISO, faster frame rate... Definitely go with D7k over D90. It's a bit pricier, but I think it's a definite upgrade.

It's a bit more of a question if you're looking at D300s vs. D7k, and while I prefer the form factor and other features of the D300s, the sensor and IQ of the D7k is a generation ahead.

But of the two you mention, I'd definitely go with D7k, assuming the extra $$ isn't a major concern.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    ill only have to pay less then $100 out of pocket, i just want to make sure that it will be a great camera for what i do, especially when taking pics of indy cars going 200 mph...
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    The D7k is the D90's replacement, I would expect it to do everything you are used to on the D90, only better and more of it. I have not used a D7k, but I have a D90 and D300. I vastly prefer the AF on the D300, that alone would make me choose to use it over the D90. From everything I've heard, the noise performance of the D7k sensor is very good, and the 39-pt AF vs. the D90's 11-pt should be a big improvement for you. I'm confident that if you have been happy with the D90, you will be more than happy with a D7k. For less than $100 out of pocket, I say go for it.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Until the D800 and D4 were announced, the D7000 was Nikon's most advanced camera. At any price. Yes the D3s was/is better in low light, shoots a few fps faster, and focuses a bit quicker. But it's not as advanced as the D7000. Ditto for the D3x, though the X does have more pixels.

I still think the D7000 is the best bargain in Nikon's lineup, followed closely by the D800. Both could easily sell for $500-$1000 more than they cost. D90 is not even in the same league.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Full Frame Option
    Is a full frame an option? If so, then a used a low shutter count D700 could be an excellent option. I have seen a number for sale via Craigslist in the last few months. If you are not into video, this would be an excellent full frame camera. They sell for around $1,800.

I realize this means a different set of lenses, but the photo quality and ISO range is considered to be very good.

I too am shopping and considering a change.

There is a forum discussion on the rumored D600 that you may find interesting.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    d7k... no brainer
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    I have both the D90 and the D7000. The D7000 is a much better camera.