Options

NW Olympic Peninsula Bald Eagles

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited June 3, 2012 in Wildlife
I haven’t posted any pictures on dgrin in a while (nearly 2 years :cry). I guess I've just had a long streak of not having any photos that I was excited enough about to want to share. That changed today when I got a chance to look at the pictures I took this last weekend during a day trip to the NW corner of the Olympic Peninsula. At the last minute my wife and I decided we needed to get the family out of town, if just for a day trip. For no reason other than I had never been there before I decided we would drive from Seattle to Cape Flattery, the most Northwestern point in the contiguous United States. On the way we made stops in the towns of Sekiu and Neah Bay. While visiting these tiny towns I was excited to find numerous Bald Eagles that more than happy to pose up close and personal for my camera. Here are a few of my favorites.

Here are a couple fighting for prime real estate
i-2kXr99M-XL.jpg

I can't say that I've ever been in a situation where a bird in flight was more than filling the frame with my cheap-o 70-300
i-3SFP687-XL.jpg

It's the left over scraps from the fishing boats that the eagles came for
i-csmvBwK-XL.jpg
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Great find Andrew. The background of the last is soooooo much different than usual, that it became my favorite.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Great find Andrew. The background of the last is soooooo much different than usual, that it became my favorite.

Thanks! Prior to this, I had never seen bald eagles (outside of a zoo) that were so willing to get close to people, but these eagles have figured out that the fishermen leave lots of free scraps for them to take.

With so many eagles flying around, there were really a lot of potential options for what to have in the background, I was just limited in how much time I could take with the pictures as my family was starting to get tired of waiting for me. I did manage to get one picture of an eagle flying with a US flag in the background but it didn't turn out as sharp as I would have liked. I will definitely have to make a trip back there.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Good to see you posting again. I'm with Dick on the last capture. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012