Options

Outdoor Senior - Fire Away, Please!

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited May 31, 2012 in People
Kid was a real trooper. Even at 6:30 PM it was still 90 degrees. I think we went trough a half a roll of paper towel keeping the sweat of his face and out of my eyes.

webmathew-outdoor-5-L.jpg

webmathew-outdoor-6-L.jpg

webmathew-outdoor-13b-L.jpg

webmathew-outdoor-14-L.jpg

webmathew-outdoor-24-L.jpg

webmathew-outdoor-22-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Nice work Bryce. My only complaint is that #2 & #5, pose wise, looks a little feminine.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2012
    Hey Thanks!

That bothered me on 5 too, even when I was shooting it. I like the log, the angle and the head resting on hand, but the other arm/hand placement is what I think makes it look a bit femish. I struggled with placement of the other arm/hand. Any ideas there that might kick the testosterone level up a notch?

On two, I see your point also, but think it works in this case. I was kinda going for that Leif Garrett/Bobby Sherman teen idol look that all the teenyboppers used to go gonzo over.
  • Options
    amberlynstudiosamberlynstudios Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Fantastic quality and I liked most of the poses, but I feel that most of the images were slightly over exposed, just too hot. But other then that fantastic!
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Bryce,

I'll have to disagree on the overexposure, agree on the girly poses, and say that #3 is probably my favorite out of the bunch! Were all these with the 35-70? Looks like a good performer.

As for fixing the issues on the posing, I don't mind the second one nearly as much as #5. To me, that pose starts off awkward with a guy in business clothing leaning on a log. It continues to get stranger with that hand patting the log. Maybe just drop that position altogether.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2012
    Fantastic quality and I liked most of the poses, but I feel that most of the images were slightly over exposed, just too hot. But other then that fantastic!
    Thanks much for the input! I appreciate it.
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Bryce,

I'll have to disagree on the overexposure, agree on the girly poses, and say that #3 is probably my favorite out of the bunch! Were all these with the 35-70? Looks like a good performer.
    Thanks Quincy.

I think the first two were taken with a 105mm and the rest with the 35-70 2.8. After using this lens I am really happy. If someone does photojournalism type photography, the newer 24-70 2.8 is a better choice, but for strictly doing portraiture it would be hard for me to justify the extra 1,500.00.
    As for fixing the issues on the posing, I don't mind the second one nearly as much as #5. To me, that pose starts off awkward with a guy in business clothing leaning on a log. It continues to get stranger with that hand patting the log. Maybe just drop that position altogether.
    I see what you mean. I may try that "scene" again with a bit more rustic looking wardrobe. I'm also thinking that his left hand might look good with the thumb hooked in the belt or pocket...???
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Bryce,

The shots are very nice. Well lit and executed. But I agree that the business clothes leaning on a log really jump out as just plain odd. The whole outfit just doesn't make sense in the park/woods setting. The other shots/outfits work much better.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Good looking kid and good colors in these.
    Light is just a tad hot on his face in most.
    Given a choice my eye likes the light to come from frame left...still 3 is my favorite of these, light just a tad hot in his face on that one.
    Good series overall.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2012
    Gotham wrote: »
    The shots are very nice. Well lit and executed. But I agree that the business clothes leaning on a log really jump out as just plain odd. The whole outfit just doesn't make sense in the park/woods setting. The other shots/outfits work much better.
    Thanks for taking the time to give input. Seems we have a quorum on the shirt/tie log! :D Good advice.
    zoomer wrote: »
    Good looking kid and good colors in these.
    Light is just a tad hot on his face in most.
    Given a choice my eye likes the light to come from frame left...still 3 is my favorite of these, light just a tad hot in his face on that one.
    Good series overall.

Thanks for chiming in Zoom! Much to my chagrin, it seems that batch processing in Lightroom isn't going to work when doing a shoot with constant lighting changes.

I processed these two individually, any improvement with the exposure issues in anyone's mind?

1b

webBWB9878-Edit-L.jpg

2.b

webmather-outdoor-135-L.jpg
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Your usual quality work, Bryce.

Lightwork "sync" is only going to work for shots where the lighting was pretty much the same; every time you change things up, you will need to adjust the processing. Maybe you don't shoot long runs in a particular setup the way I do, but what works for me is to process one the way I like it, then ctl+shift to teh last in the same light setup to select them all (in the developing pane, via the filmstrip at the bottom) and then synch. I may make additional adjustments as I work through, but if I have 25 frames in one light stage that sure is easier than doing each one individually! I also use copy/paste liberally..... :)
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,198 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Well, I love #2 just the way it is. I didn't think the pose was feminine. My first thought was that "His Mom & Girlfriend will love this one." It's my favorite!

I'll agree with everyone else on the pose for #5 & I'll agree that there is just a touch more flash than what I prefer. But...I love the set overall. thumb.gif

Sherry
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Your usual quality work, Bryce.

Lightwork "sync" is only going to work for shots where the lighting was pretty much the same; every time you change things up, you will need to adjust the processing. Maybe you don't shoot long runs in a particular setup the way I do, but what works for me is to process one the way I like it, then ctl+shift to teh last in the same light setup to select them all (in the developing pane, via the filmstrip at the bottom) and then synch. I may make additional adjustments as I work through, but if I have 25 frames in one light stage that sure is easier than doing each one individually! I also use copy/paste liberally..... :)

I found that out! I was merrily using sync on the stuff I did of the kids in studio where my lighting seldom changes without a problem. Doesn't work AT ALL when doing outdoor as I'm constantly moving light and subjects.

God I miss the olden days. Choose the right film, light it, cheat about a half a stop hot, take the shots, send the film to lab, they do the post processing...Done! :D
    slpollett wrote: »
    Well, I love #2 just the way it is. I didn't think the pose was feminine. My first thought was that "His Mom & Girlfriend will love this one." It's my favorite!

I'll agree with everyone else on the pose for #5 & I'll agree that there is just a touch more flash than what I prefer. But...I love the set overall. thumb.gif

Sherry

Thanks bunches for the nice comments and adding another "vote" to slightly too hot. I am reworking the images in post to see if that situation can be corrected.

And you were right, when mom saw number two yesterday, she went nuts. She must have liked the teen idol boys when she was a little girl! :)

Thanks again.