PJ: Bird Show, Hogle Zoo (Salt Lake City, UT)

RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited May 30, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Coverage of a bird show. Utah's Hogle Zoo. 5/28/2012.

IMG7261-L.jpg

Incoming!! The bird's feathers brushed my hand.

IMG7262-L.jpg

I realize this might be considered something appropriate for some other forum, but this is a PJ/Documentary image and I think it belongs here. The images have been edited with journalistic integrity. What you see is what I saw.
Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
Website | Galleries | Utah PJs

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    That first one is scary-- looks like he's headed right toward you. Damn, owls should not have glowing red eyes!
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Great moment, Ryan. While I hate to comment on this, for the sake of these two images I believe the second would've been the clear winner had the bird been in focus, but in this case I think #1 is top notch.
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    Thank you for the comments. I agree. I would have loved to have grabbed that second one in focus. It was a very challenging subject.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    edited May 30, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    ] It was a very challenging subject.

Haha, clearly it was Ryan! Not everyday we have big owls swooping down upon us.
  • williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    You got to love the look on that guys face in the baseball cap #2. These are great. I am afraid I would have dropped the camera.
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2012
    williaes wrote: »
    You got to love the look on that guys face in the baseball cap #2. These are great. I am afraid I would have dropped the camera.

Actually, my biggest fear was hitting one of the birds with the lens. I swear I came close a couple times. The trainer is master falconer Steve Chindgren, an almost legendary local figure. Tens of thousands of people have seen his show. It is amazing to see him work the birds. He also has a hilarious sense of humor, making the show memorable and engaging. Here is Steve during the show (not the best of shots):

IMG7160-L.jpg
    edited May 30, 2012
    What a superb title. Master Falconer.

"Hey guys, check it out, I just got my degree in computer technology!"

"Oh that's great, Dave, have you met Steve...he's a $&*@ing Master Falconer."