Are we doing a weekend workshop in Boston - or New York?

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited May 31, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I haven't been sufficiently serious about this this summer, but a few of you twitched when I posted something about this a little while back. I'd be happy to work with a small group of you to put together a weekend street workshop on a mutually agreeable weekend. We could do it in Boston, or we could do it in New York. Maybe Friday - Sunday? Keep in mind that the Boston subway system is now officially wide open to photography.

Anyone interested, just shoot me an email.

If, by the way, you wonder what you'd be getting into, the MIT course evaluations came out yesterday and here are three student comments that the folks who run the evaluation program posted on my photo course evaluation:

Student 936 - B.D. was great. The time management was sometimes off in terms of getting to review everyone's photos, but his additions and deviations are very interesting.

Student 37581 - Really wonderful experience and an amazing instructor. Gave a lot of guidance as well.

Student 42516 - Awesome professor. Funny, engaging, and understanding.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    I have spent a lot of $ on gear over the years but the one thing that I did that had the greatest impact on my photography was attending a workshop. That workshop was one my smallest expenses also. Either Boston or NYC would be a great locale for a workshop.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I haven't been sufficiently serious about this this summer, but a few of you twitched when I posted something about this a little while back. I'd be happy to work with a small group of you to put together a weekend street workshop on a mutually agreeable weekend. We could do it in Boston, or we could do it in New York. Maybe Friday - Sunday? Keep in mind that the Boston subway system is now officially wide open to photography.

Anyone interested, just shoot me an email.

If, by the way, you wonder what you'd be getting into, the MIT course evaluations came out yesterday and here are three student comments that the folks who run the evaluation program posted on my photo course evaluation:

Student 936 - B.D. was great. The time management was sometimes off in terms of getting to review everyone's photos, but his additions and deviations are very interesting.

Student 37581 - Really wonderful experience and an amazing instructor. Gave a lot of guidance as well.

Student 42516 - Awesome professor. Funny, engaging, and understanding.

Student 42516? Lets see some comments from the other 42,515 students... :D

Workshops are a good idea, good luck with getting one together.
    Rags
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I have spent a lot of $ on gear over the years but the one thing that I did that had the greatest impact on my photography was attending a workshop. That workshop was one my smallest expenses also. Either Boston or NYC would be a great locale for a workshop.

I agree completely. I recently attended Scott Kelby's Light it, Shoot it, Retouch it workshop in Tampa, FL, hosted by the man himself, and it was incredible. He really cleared a lot of things up, showed how simple it was to make excellent portraits in the studio, and, of course, he was hilarious throughout.

Only $80!
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I have spent a lot of $ on gear over the years but the one thing that I did that had the greatest impact on my photography was attending a workshop.

Aw, c'mon! Gear's all that matters, right? After all, when you take some great shots, don't people come up to you and ask what kind of camera you used? As if by buying one they could take similar quality shots. I never quite know what to say, except to answer the question directly.

Would love to do a workshop, but Boston is a little far away from my home...