Cold and Bedraggled Honey Bee

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited June 11, 2012 in Holy Macro
(At least I think it's a Honey Bee. First thoughts was that it was a miner bee but it hasn't got the big furry moustache :) )

5 minutes on my finger and it was all warm again and flew off happily.

Four similar images, but one does not pass up on the opportunity.

IMG4937.jpg

IMG4936.jpg

IMG4938.jpg

IMG4942.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    Lovely captures Ian and a good deed :)- yes a honey bee - think they are the only uk bee with hairy eyes plus they don't have much hair on the face.
    Brian v.
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    Thanks Brian. It's quite amazing really how something many of us are taught to try and avoid or by some silly natural reaction, end up being stung by are actually quite placid enough to sit on your finger when they realise it would help them. :)
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    Very nice shots.

We have beehives (a neighbor's) a few meters from our back fence, and probably not more than 30m from the house. They are in our garden all the time and have never bothered any of us. But be wary. There are other hymenoptera that are a lot more aggressive, and for some people (I'm one), their stings can be dangerous. And it turns out that one can be allergic to some species and not others. I am not in the slightest allergic to honeybee stings, but I am allergic to a lot of the vespids, which unfortunately includes some of the more aggressive species.
    edited June 4, 2012
    Hi, thank you for the compliment and the excellent advice also. I'll confess to initially thinking it was a miner bee. Was only during processing that I realised it was a honey. I may have been a little more wary hehe: )
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited June 7, 2012
    edited June 11, 2012
    Cheers Phil :)