Options

24-70mm f2.8 - Tamron on my Camera, Canon in the closet

bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited June 3, 2012 in Cameras
The details of my title can be found in my blog at:

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/canon-versus-tamron-vc-24-70mm-f2-8-lenses/

But the essence is that I love my Canon 24-70mm f2.8 but for the kind of shots that I do I need the IS. I had it with the 17-55 when I had an APS camera.

When Tamron came out with the VC version I jumped on it. Even though I know Canon has great glass and I knew very little about Tamron.

So..... I am happy I made the switch. Many of the finding in my blog match other reviews and finding. I used Reikan's Focal to verify some sharpness info. The Tamron is sharper at 70mm, the Canon better at 24mm. There is some vignetting at 24mm on the Tamron. I have not seen the onion bokeh. I think the bokeh is nice.

Bottom line its a good lens and that VC makes my day!!

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    But congrats on your new lens clap.gifclap Post some more pics plz ;)
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    bobbyk wrote: »
    The details of my title can be found in my blog at:

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/canon-versus-tamron-vc-24-70mm-f2-8-lenses/

But the essence is that I love my Canon 24-70mm f2.8 but for the kind of shots that I do I need the IS. I had it with the 17-55 when I had an APS camera.

When Tamron came out with the VC version I jumped on it. Even though I know Canon has great glass and I knew very little about Tamron.

So..... I am happy I made the switch. Many of the finding in my blog match other reviews and finding. I used Reikan's Focal to verify some sharpness info. The Tamron is sharper at 70mm, the Canon better at 24mm. There is some vignetting at 24mm on the Tamron. I have not seen the onion bokeh. I think the bokeh is nice.

Bottom line its a good lens and that VC makes my day!!

looks like a good lens, a little pricey at $1,300
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Thanks for the review! I've been following this lens, so glad to hear some user reports.

Interesting that your 24-70 is stronger at 24mm; mine is the exact opposite. It's STUNNING at 70, but not as sharp as you go wider...