Options

Owls Head Transportation Museum - Maine

knapphknapph Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited June 1, 2012 in Other Cool Shots
The Owls Head Transportation Museum (http://www.ohtm.org/index.html) is at the Know County Regional airport near Rockland, Maine. From their website "The Owls Head Transportation Museum has one of the finest collections of pioneer-era aircraft and automobiles in the world. More than 100 historic aircraft, automobiles, bicycles, carriages and engines are on permanent display. The Aircraft Collection contains replicas and originals representing the first century of flight, from Cayley’s unmanned glider (1804) to the legendary Curtiss Jenny of the barnstorming era. An outstanding collection of automobiles spans the late 19th Century and early 20th century, from our recently refurbished 1908 Stanley K Semi-Racer to a 1935 Stout Scarab (called the world’s first mini-van, one of only six ever made)."

The museum has one to two major events each month throughout the summer and fall. This past weekend featured their collection of antique aircraft, all in flying condition, a few of the museum's antique cars and pre-1992 cars on display by their owners.

One of our favorite cars was a 1929 Ford Model A Pickup that is part of the museum's Barn Fresh program. This is a consignment program which is used to raise money for the museum. If we had a bit of spare cash, this Model A would have followed us home - this vehicle had character.

1929FordModelAPickup-M.jpg

1929 Ford Model A Pickup

1929FordModelAPickup-2-M.jpg

1929 Ford Model A Pickup

Other trucks that caught my eye were:

1936GMCpickup-M.jpg

1936 GMC pickup

1936GMCpickup-2-M.jpg
1936 GMC pickup

1945DiamondT404HHS-M.jpg

1945 Diamond T 404 HHS

1945DiamondT404HHS-2-M.jpg

1945 Diamond T 404 HHS

1923FordModelTpickup-M.jpg

This 1923 Ford Model T pickup truck was restored this past winter by its very proud owner.

One truck had this Winged Goddess hood ornament which caught my eye. I was so absorbed shooting the hood ornament I forgot to see the make of the truck it was attached to. When I went back to see what it was, the truck had departed and I could not find a photo of it in either my or my wife's shots.

WingedGoddess-M.jpg
Winged Goddess

This 1931 LaSalle Convertible is in the museum's Barn Fresh program. The car had its original paint which had worn to a very nice patina.

1931LaSalleConvertibleCoupe-M.jpg

1931 LaSalle Convertible

1931LaSalleConvertibleCoupe-2-M.jpg

1931 LaSalle Convertible hood ornament

These shots are some bits and pieces (or as my Welsh father-in-law would say "odds and sods") of a few of the other cars on display.

1931FordModelADeluxeCoupe-M.jpg

1931 Ford Model A Deluxe Coupe

1936FordModel682Door-2-M.jpg

1936 Ford Model 68 2 Door

1908SearsMotorBuggy-2-M.jpg

1908 Sears Motor Buggy

The museum also has a small collection of children's pedal cars which are available during these weekend events to entertain the small ones.

Childrenspedalcar-M.jpg

The event featured several of the museum's 26 antique aircraft. All these planes were flying while we were there.

1918StandardJ1-M.jpg

A 1918 Standard J-1 with the markings of Harry Jones' Flying Service, Old Orchard Beach, Maine. This is a two seater trainer aircraft.

1917Nieuport28C-1-M.jpg

1917 Nieuport 28C.1 (reproduction) - The Nieuport 28 was a French biplane fighter aircraft flown during World War I. It was the first aircraft to see service with an American fighter squadron.

1916RoyalAircraftFactoryFE8-M.jpg

Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.8

1916RoyalAircraftFactoryFE8-3-M.jpg

The Royal Aircraft Factory F.E.8 (reproduction) was a British single-seat fighter used in the First World War. This aircraft had the engine mounted in the rear as a way of getting around the problem of timing the shooting a machine gun through a propeller.

The next event we plan to see will be the Hot Rods, Customs and Muscle Cars on June 16 and 17. This promises to be a very colorful show with some good photo ops.

If you are visiting Maine this summer or fall I recommend you find time to visit the museum. There is also a very nice lighthouse nearby in the Owls Head State Park.

Knapp Hudson
Portland, Maine