Exciting information inside this thread!

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited June 8, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Not really, I suppose.

I've put my body of work up, as I think it looks best (the Singles need a bit of work...that's going to require some hardcore perusing of the archives, but I just did this all today, so give me a break [don't give me a break ever]) and assembled this nifty portfolio with SmoogMoog, the popular photo hosting site. You may have heard of it.

Anyway, could you answer these questions?!

- I've tried to collect some images which show a variety of coverage, and a feature with the paracommandos section. If you were a newspaper would you consider me for freelance work? Disregard the whole "Marine, and could get deployed at a moment's notice, which is true, as Tony points out below, but I'm not trying to gauge the validity of this portfolio off of that fact.

- Do you think my self-portrait is bad? (Are there nose hairs or contemptuous looks?)

What have I ever done to you?

- Have you seen an image of mine you'd rather see in Singles than all this crap? (Don't make me take out my whale tail. I like my whale tail. [I dont' care])

- Any thoughts at all?

Here it is. Have at it, and I'd be quite happy! Don't have at it, I will most likely be apathetic and ask another group of people to look, but I like you guys, so you get first dibs.

http://www.quincytennyson.com (Oh my, he even has his own domain name... That's right ladies.)

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    I'm not crazy about forced slideshows. When I opened your site
    it took me directly to a slideshow format. I'm too impatient to
    wait around to see if a photo I like pops up.

I see now you have a click for "Singles", but I might have gone
    on before seeing that. Consider an option to view as a slideshow
    or as singles.

As far as hiring you, the photos you've displayed don't show a
    potential customer much. Would a family wanting photos of the
    kids be interested in a photographer with a portfolio of candids
    and military people in action? Maybe a couple planning to get
    married whilst skydiving, but that's not a huge market.

Last point...your bio says you are a Marine. Would a customer
    book a series with someone on active duty who they think might
    be deployed at any time?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »

- Would you hire my ass?

For what occasion / type of pic?

pp
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    Quincy,

Your bio is way too brief. It tells me nothing of who you are. It isn't interesting or informative. Also, please note I hate the use of third person writing. Why not say I am?

You don't seem to have a direction with your images and none show a commercial direction. What type of photography would you like to be hired for? Show that type of photography.

Would I hire a Marine? Absolutely! Would I hire you as a photographer? Not from what I have seen so far. :D

This is where I usually tell them to keep trying and don't give up, but not for you. Marine's don't have to be told this.

Sam
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2012
    I'm working on this site as a pre-cursor to the portfolio I would eventually hope to maintain as a PJ student. While I'm not asking to be hired as an event photographer by some sort of company (maybe I should've removed the commercial photography thing, but I do have some of that work, and I need to put it in Singles, obviously. I didn't even think about this at the time), it's good to know the stuff isn't really that captivating.

I should have been more thorough in explaining the "would you hire me" question. Based on the images, would you, if you were a photo editor for a newspaper, consider my work good enough to do any freelancing for you? Disregard the Marine thing. All things I should have said in the OP. Which I'll fix.

I felt the paracommandos thing is the only "feature" I've completed. Not great, I guess?

Thanks for this feedback! I've made a few changes to it, based on your comments.

Sam, I agree on the bio, to an extent. It is brief indeed. I don't know whether to rant about photographic roots/interests/etc. or give a snapshot of myself.
    edited June 2, 2012
    Quincy,

Disclaimer: I always have viewed the world differently, so take that into consideration.

I believe a bio should be uniquely you. No fluff nonsense about how you started taking photos with your grandma when you were 6mos old, or the artsy fartsy stuff you think someone wants to hear.

Who are you? What defines you? You are unique, your story should be unique. If you don't feel it don't write it. It won't be easy.

Sam
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Not really, I suppose.

I've put my body of work up, as I think it looks best (the Singles need a bit of work...that's going to require some hardcore perusing of the archives, but I just did this all today, so give me a break [don't give me a break ever]) and assembled this nifty portfolio with SmoogMoog, the popular photo hosting site. You may have heard of it.

Anyway, could you answer these questions?!

- I've tried to collect some images which show a variety of coverage, and a feature with the paracommandos section. If you were a newspaper would you consider me for freelance work? Disregard the whole "Marine, and could get deployed at a moment's notice, which is true, as Tony points out below, but I'm not trying to gauge the validity of this portfolio off of that fact.

- Do you think my self-portrait is bad? (Are there nose hairs or contemptuous looks?)

What have I ever done to you?

- Have you seen an image of mine you'd rather see in Singles than all this crap? (Don't make me take out my whale tail. I like my whale tail. [I dont' care])

- Any thoughts at all?

Here it is. Have at it, and I'd be quite happy! Don't have at it, I will most likely be apathetic and ask another group of people to look, but I like you guys, so you get first dibs.

http://www.quincytennyson.com (Oh my, he even has his own domain name... That's right ladies.)

Okay - most important question first - would I hire you for freelance work based on the quality of this work? Absolutely. The stuff in Singles and Para Commandos, by the way, is far better than most of what you usually post here; it certainly is good enough to run in most medium to small dailies, if not major papers.

Next, Sam is right - the bio sucks.rolleyes1.gif Go with first person, and explain who you are, and what you offer that every 'Mom with a Rebel' doesn't. You may want to take a look at my bio, which I'm sure Sam would hate - but it's worked for me.

What what you need most are more galleries, with a wider variety of work. And lose the commando look in the self-portrait - you're looking for photo work, not an assignment with Blackwater.rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited June 3, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Okay - most important question first - would I hire you for freelance work based on the quality of this work? Absolutely. The stuff in Singles and Para Commandos, by the way, is far better than most of what you usually post here; it certainly is good enough to run in most medium to small dailies, if not major papers.

That is an incredible compliment. I'd say more, but that says it best.
    Next, Sam is right - the bio sucks.rolleyes1.gif Go with first person, and explain who you are, and what you offer that every 'Mom with a Rebel' doesn't. You may want to take a look at my bio, which I'm sure Sam would hate - but it's worked for me.

Consensus on Bio suckiness achieved. I can certainly fix that!
    What what you need most are more galleries, with a wider variety of work. And lose the commando look in the self-portrait - you're looking for photo work, not an assignment with Blackwater.rolleyes1.gif

Copy all, boss. hahahah, I kid. So I'll fix the self-portrait. As far as the galleries, did you like the singles from the Sergeant's Course stuff? I think I can get a good 10-image story put together from that part of my life. I think another gallery I might be able to do is world travel, but there really is no story there. I mean, there is a story to why I travel the world, but I am, for the most part, unable to photograph that without getting some...waivers haha.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    I liked the slide show which hadsome amzing images. However it also had a few mediocre captures also. If you're going to do a forced slide show intro you want only your very best stuff in it.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited June 4, 2012

First off I tend to hate very little. Like dislike, take exception to, disagree certainly.

Your bio is uniquely you. I think it does describe you and your experience and provides some insight as to who you are, and where you come from.

As a poor smuck with an eight grade edmucatiom I can't writes as well as you, soos my meanings ain't always as clear as I would like. :D

I was trying to convey my distaste for overused regurgitated meaningless fluff. If you really did take photos with grandma when you were 6 months old go ahead and post. But don't try and write what you think people / clients want to hear.

Sam
    edited June 5, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I liked the slide show which hadsome amzing images. However it also had a few mediocre captures also. If you're going to do a forced slide show intro you want only your very best stuff in it.

Harry,

Which images do you feel are mediocre, if you don't mind? I'll certainly agree with you, there are some in there that aren't as good as the others, but I like outsiders to make the determination of my worst photographs and if you could tell me which ones do the least for you, I can probably find a replacement. This is a work in progress, for sure!

Sam,

I will write it from the heart, no fluff.
    edited June 7, 2012
    Alright! The bio is complete, please let me know if you think it needs some more work (probably does). I've removed a couple of images that I felt were less powerful from Singles. I think I may be able to make a full gallery out of the Sergeant's Course work, so I will give that a try when I get home from travel.

As for getting better photographs in the Singles, I think I'll really need to sit down with someone (not sure who, haha) and go over all of the images in my archive. I'm just not a portfolio master, and need the help of someone who is.

And now I've added another gallery as well.

Any more comments would be greatly appreciated!
    edited June 8, 2012
    This bio is MUCH better!! It's from the heart and tells something of your inner thoughts and motivations.

Sam
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Would I hire you, Na not at the moment. I agree with B.D. on the quality however.
    edited June 8, 2012
    bfjr wrote: »
    Would I hire you, Na not at the moment. I agree with B.D. on the quality however.

Thanks for the honesty, Ben. What can I do to convince you?