fixing stacks later on

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited June 2, 2012 in Holy Macro
When I have a difficult stack with a lot of front-to-back distance between surfaces--and therefore a bunch of halos to fix--I often find after I am all done and have exported the image that I missed a few. Going back to Zerene would mean rediting the stacked image. I just found that it is very easy to do this, as long as you do much of your editing in Lightroom. (I do as much as I can in Lightroom, calling up photoshop as an external editor only when I need to.) The steps are very easy:

-- if you have doubts about this, save the project in Zerene.
--When you import the stacked image into Lightroom, be sure to have Lightroom set to ask before importing images, after syncing. Otherwise, you will import not only the temporary TIFFs of each image, but all of Zerene's temporary files.
--If you need to make more changes, close Lightroom, re-open the project in Zerene, and open the retouched image.
--do whatever additional retouching you want.
--commit the edits and save the retouched image. Zerene should give this a new name, at least if you are not doing the second edit on the same date.
--in a file manager, rename the old retouched image, but save the name.
--rename the new retouched image with the original name of the old one.
--reopen lightroom. Don't synch.

Lightroom will link the xmp file to the new image that has the old name. All of the edits in the xmp file are applied.

I don't know if this works if you have Lightroom set not to store edits in sidecar (xmp) files.