Options

Just got studio setup. Would love some feed back.

the5schluetersthe5schlueters Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited June 5, 2012 in People
I just got all my studio finished and have and have taken a few shots. Would love for you all Pros to take a look and let me know how they look or if there is something that I can do to make them better.

www.redlinephotographyar.com

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    To be strictly honest, I would measure your success based on revenue. Your style is the polar opposite of what I'd personally consider acceptable. Therefore, I suggest you trust the markets to guide you. If you are lining them up down the street then don't stop! If you don't see strong sales, on the other hand, consider a more traditional approach to learning the art of portrait photography.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    By no means am I a "pro", but the lighting in most of your gallery photos seems flat, and the composites seem obviously so with cookie cutter edges and disparate lighting. Perhaps you might try posting a few pics that you consider to represent your best work and invite critique. We are all learning here and I think you will find that it will help you a lot.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    Ok what can I do to improve?
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012

Help us a little by posting one image that you like and we can then give you specific constructive feedback on that image.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    ryans wrote: »
    to be strictly honest, i would measure your success based on revenue. Your style is the polar opposite of what i'd personally consider acceptable. Therefore, i suggest you trust the markets to guide you. If you are lining them up down the street then don't stop! If you don't see strong sales, on the other hand, consider a more traditional approach to learning the art of portrait photography.
    +1
  • Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    To be strictly honest, I would measure your success based on revenue. Your style is the polar opposite of what I'd personally consider acceptable. Therefore, I suggest you trust the markets to guide you. If you are lining them up down the street then don't stop! If you don't see strong sales, on the other hand, consider a more traditional approach to learning the art of portrait photography.
    +2
    To add to it, I've seen people with similar style as yours very successful in the local market, so if you are getting business good for you.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    I'm not sure if it is an overlay or how you lights are set up but you have a strange vertical shadow on the nose in a vertical pattern.....odd. In the standing ones I'm speaking about. Would help to have a pull back to see how lights are set up to help.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    here is my favorite. Lights are set up with 2 soft boxes on each side in the front and 1 overhead. I have a pulled back pic but gotta up load it.

i-cwQbc48-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    I also like this one.

i-3JjXfSp-M.jpg
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012

Improve how? This is a slippery slope of a question. Who says you need to improve at all? Improve in what way? If you and your clients are thrilled with your current style, then keep booking those sessions! Don't let anyone here change what you do.

If you are wanting to learn a traditional approach to portrait photography, then there are some very fine portrait photographers in the group. Before engaging them, however, you need to know what I mean by "traditional style." Start by exploring this section of the dgrin forum. Nearly every thread could be beneficial to you. The "pullbacks" thread is an amazing place to start. Try to duplicate one of the setups to see if you can achieve similar results. You'll quickly discover who the few are that have the chops, and discover that everyone else here (including me) is simply trying to chase after them. :D
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    AprilHiteAprilHite Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    Improve how? This is a slippery slope of a question. Who says you need to improve at all? Improve in what way? If you and your clients are thrilled with your current style, then keep booking those sessions! Don't let anyone here change what you do.

If you are wanting to learn a traditional approach to portrait photography, then there are some very fine portrait photographers in the group. Before engaging them, however, you need to know what I mean by "traditional style." Start by exploring this section of the dgrin forum. Nearly every thread could be beneficial to you. The "pullbacks" thread is an amazing place to start. Try to duplicate one of the setups to see if you can achieve similar results. You'll quickly discover who the few are that have the chops, and discover that everyone else here (including me) is simply trying to chase after them. :D

I like all all of them. I am just beginning to get the hang of photography and I have a lot to learn but I would to have my daughters pics took on your background! I think it is great work.