"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Too freaking...balanced.

Ha, ha, yes.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    I really like how you centered the man right in them middle. It gives the feeling of a man not knowing which direction to go. The weather elements fit the thought of not knowing perfectly.
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    I actually like the balance, myself. Like Mary said, it adds confusion which adds loneliness. Cool. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    I like it. I would never have centered him, but I like it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    I like the shot a lot but not the comp. Your subject is facing left plus on the horizon you have the lighter sky and the darker clouds with the height of the lighter sky expanding leftward. All the movement & lines in the scene are moving left. I think the image would have been improved by comping it with the subject in the right third of the frame.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I like the shot a lot but not the comp. Your subject is facing left plus on the horizon you have the lighter sky and the darker clouds with the height of the lighter sky expanding leftward. All the movement & lines in the scene are moving left. I think the image would have been improved by comping it with the subject in the right third of the frame.

I found it interesting how you saw the lines moving in this photo Harry :D I saw the ground in the background moving to the right and the ship moving that way too. Even the wind. Then I saw a man caught in the middle going in the opposite direction of everything else in the photo which added to the struggle.

This is what makes photography so much fun ... each person's perception of a photo :D
    edited June 4, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »

Yes, I think that's what most people expect and traditional comp. At least the horizon is thirds ;))
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Looks like seastack's been working....the sea.
    edited June 8, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Looks like seastack's been working....the sea.

Ha, ha, yeah when I can. The beach is often such a great place for photos. Looking forward to a little more density of humanity and associated tourista weirdness as the weather improves.

Another thought on the composition - this centered comp is not unusual in "contemporary" fine art photography.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    seastack wrote: »
    Another thought on the composition - this centered comp is not unusual in "contemporary" fine art photography.

True, but it often goes along with complete focus through the image. Foreground to background. Very literal captures of found or staged events with emphasis on composition, structure and light.