Options

d7000 questions

racefanracefan Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
edited June 4, 2012 in Cameras
so i went ahead a got the d7000, why is it when i put it on priority mode im not always able to change the fstop when i want to and does any one have any good tips for using this camera...thanks

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited June 2, 2012
    The Nikon D7000 has both Aperture Priority and Shutter Speed Priority modes.

If you could explain more about what it is you are trying to accomplish, and what ISO and the shooting conditions, we could probably help.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    i was out trying to get pics of bugs in the yard and i wanted to change the fstop (aperture priority ) but it wouldn't let me i would sit turn the dial 30 times and it would not change, i just left the iso on auto. for some reason i have a hard time getting the whole bug in focus, i make sure that the focus point in the view finder is right on lets say a dragon flys head but it doesn't look very sharp. would it be because im shooting it on contuines focus ?
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2012
    If you're in A-mode and spinning the wheel doesn't change the aperture you're either spinning the wrong control wheel (there are two) or you're spinning it the wrong direction and are already at the minimum or maximum aperture.

Regarding the bug being in focus: what lens are you using? How close are you to the subject? Are you using a tripod? What are the camera settings? Can you post a sample with EXIF?

Continuous focus is probably one of the (many) reasons why the bug isn't in focus. Switch to single-shot.

Regarding tips for the D7000 - have you read the manual yet? I'm serious. That's the most important place to start and it's a pretty thick one. There are also D7000 guides available for kindle or iBooks (or paperback too, if that's your thing).
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2012
    im in p mode my fault i was thinking that backwards and i know there are two dials it just seemed to work better on the d90 (maybe its because i had it for two years). i wondder if i dont have something turned on in the menu that should be off...

im using the tamron 180mm macro, i dont use a tripod i know i should but it takes time to set and by then the insect or what ever bug im shooting is gone. im usally around 2 feet from it maybe i need to back some more. i just know i see every ones pics on here and how sharp they are compared to mine and i get frustrated.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    "every ones pics" in macro world are usually manual focused
  • Options
    okaremeokareme Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Just use Aperture Priority and call it a day!
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    And if you use aperture priority, you can set the back dial to adjust your ISO, and the front dial will adjust your aperture.
    In program mode, the dial only adjusts between equivalent aper/shutter combinations that meet the meter requirements. Even on the D90, I found the range of options the camera gave me very limited, especially in dim situations, and even when I thought there should be more options.
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Did you check out Ken Rockwell sit for D7000 info?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d7000.htm
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    ok this is off topic but i didnt want to start another thread, my d90 no longer works right so would it be worth trying to sell as long as my insurance company dont ask for it..
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    depends on whats wrong with it
    if its a small issue , better keep
    the advantage of 2 cameras is you dont have to change lenses frequently
    me too still have the D90 beside D7000
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    no it got wet and ive let it sit for a week and its still reading err on the top screen..
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    then how you expect to sell ?
    with some tape over top screen ?

you switched on to soon
    if you'd let it dry thoroughly before switch on , you might v got away w it
    if you switch on while wet , circuits may have shortened ( or how you spell that )

i say , bring to a local service dept. to verify
    then you can always decide what to do
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    well not sure if someone would be able to use it for parts....