Options

One From Today

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 3, 2012 in People
Have to go through the rest of these but here is one from today. It's late but I did some quick edits to this one and in my tired delirium, it looks pretty good. Would love to hear some feedback since I still have to process the rest of the set. Need to get some sleep. Maybe it won't look so good in the morning. :scratch

DSC7957-Edit-X3.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    problem is not with post processing but to me it looks like you've too harsh sunlight on your subjects. I'm not sure how easy it would be to fix in postprocess, consider taking it b&W route to circumvent around it.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    The white bolder and white sidewalk is screaming for attention. I would meter for the white and then bring in a flash to match or even drop the background exposure two stops and then meter the light for that setting. Spotty light on the female needs to have a scrim blocking the overhead light.

Guy is very slopy. Pants hanging down and his hands in the pocket are probably pulling them down more. His stancd is also poor. Weight on back leg and turn to a 45. What was he thinking with those shoes!!

Nice idea but needs some help.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    I like the concept and composition, the background is screaming for attention, but sometimes there are so many things going through your mind you miss it or can't tell until you get home.

I think this pic would have been benefited from using two lights, one on the woman, and one on the guy. Underexpose for the background, compensate the flash on the subjects which would isolate them more, but also bring out some color in the backgrounds.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    I can live with the dappled light - not ideal, but you got most of it on her face. The background of cars and street is too strong though. If this were mine and I needed to save it I'd probably crop the dude and background out and go for a closer shot with as much vignetting to get rid of bg as I could.

However, you may need him in shot, which leads to problems. I'd say unless the rest of the series is the same and presents even bigger problems, then this was a middle of the night keeper that should probably be a daylight tosser :D (Btw, I do that ALL THE TIME. I go through the shoot and see ones I like and edit them same day, look at them the next day and think, "WHAT WAS I THINKING??!?!?!" rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    Well, I'm up this morning and I do see the issues with the shot now that I'm sober and rested. I should mention that this was not a planned or paid shoot. Ariana, the pretty girl in the shot, is my wife's cousin. We just happened to be visiting on prom night. The kids were leaving and I noticed mom & dad snapping pics. One with an iPhone and the other an iPad.:cry Even after 4 beers, that wasn't acceptable to me so I ran to my truck and grabbed my bag.

I think the lighting issue is a problem throughout the set now that I'm looking through the photos. I did move them around so the BG is not as busy in all the shots. I'm really going to have to find some motivation to process these. I don't know about you guys but for me, if I'm not happy with a set, I tend to lag on processing. Maybe I'll just have to put my "beer goggles" back on. I just have to decide how much effort to put into these in post. I think I may be able to resolve some of the problems. rolleyes1.gif

BTW, Chuck... I don't know what it is with guys today. This kid, he's Ariana's boyfriend so I've been around him a few times. He's seems like a kid that really takes pride in his appearance so I was pretty surprised to see how he showed up dressed. I guess its so rare for these kids to dress in something other than jeans and a t-shirt that they have no clue of the proper fit for a jacket and trousers. I assume they think a suit should fit the same way their casual clothes do.ne_nau.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    OK... here is another shot. I even out the dappled light on her a bit on this one. BG is a lot better on this one and no sloppy dude.

DSC7941-Edit-X3.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2012
    MUCH better. I'd crop a little tighter from the top (unless you want it loose for some reason), but this one is much more photographically pleasing for me thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    MUCH better. I'd crop a little tighter from the top (unless you want it loose for some reason), but this one is much more photographically pleasing for me thumb.gif

Thanks Diva. Giving them some room for printing.

My Smug Site