Options

Navy Pier

OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
edited June 4, 2012 in People
Stuff from Navy Pier awhile back that I have neglected by not showing anywhere. They're linked from Smugmug; hopefully the copyrights aren't too intrusive.

1)
Sequential-XL.jpg
2)
Joy-XL.jpg
3)
DynaMetric-L.jpg
4)
Lighthouse-X3.jpg
5)
Water-and-Skyline-copy-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gorilagorila Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    I like the #3. But it's not a person tho :p
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2012
    There are some very nice captures here, congrats. I feel you need to work on your processing of files education. There is much that can be done to these to make them very, very outstanding captures. You have a good eye for this!!
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    There are some very nice captures here, congrats. I feel you need to work on your processing of files education. There is much that can be done to these to make them very, very outstanding captures. You have a good eye for this!!

Like what?
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    On some of these they need more contrast. You can help them by raising your black point and at times you mid point slider in levels. The lighthouse can be adjusted by applying a layers mask with a levels adjustment for the highlights and then erasing what you do not want in your history state.

The first one I would saturate the colors more......not sure if I'd clone out the last group of decorations on the right or not?

On the swings I would defenitely clone out the red pole and possible the tower on the left.

On three the white roof ruins the image. It competes way tooooooo much with the viewers eye.

Back to the light house........so easy to add some clouds to this one and it would help it so much.

The skyline is flat and needs contrast in all the buildings even the further ones.

Just some ideas.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    I considered every single one of those things during post, trust me... that doesn't mean I didn't decide the right thing or notice I forgot to tweak it %100 of the time though, lol. Editing fatigue wears down judgement sometimes.

#1 I did adjust colors, and they are near out of gamut as they are... even aside this its quite vibrant and what I was after. Which internet browser are you using? I also tried cropping the decor out between the space and preferred them in.

#2 I quite like the pole since it puts you back into the image, although I guess this is subjective

#3 The roof is the thing I least focus on so, I suppose it's also subjective. Plus, there are around 100 gulls on the roof that show up more in large format print and for me it adds a lot of the feeling to the scene

#4 There is a cloud line but the copyright makes it very hard to see them... and I left it too faint even if the copyright isn't there. I'll adjust the sky for that since the line is part of the composition and I agree it needs another change. I messed with the contrast of the lighthouse some more and decided it improves a bit with some micro contrast. This is the last image I edited out of all of them and I seem to have slacked off with it, lol

#5 I decided this time to go for how it looked to my eyes rather than what might be more standard procedure for a print. On the boat that day it was a misty, hazy, relaxing, and low contrast view with everything colored by the reflection of the lake. I prefer the buildings fading in the distance rather than emboldening them with contrast here. It shows the city deepening in distance rather than 1 long flat silhouette of buildings. The red brick on navy pier could use a tweak, though...
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    Hey, it's just an opinion and we all have one. As long as your happy that is the end of that. Go for what you like.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2012
    Yeah, I just wanted to make sure if I'm really missing something that required "much to be done" but its more on issues that I'm quite aware of. Since this is on a first-pass mush brain edit I missed things. Usually I don't even upload them after the first edit, since fatiguing after a lot of editing usually requires coming back to it for a 2nd sweep. I make it practice to come back to see if I missed anything from when my brain was in a state of scrambled pixels, and well, here we go! Its just on the forums this time :giggle